Pokemon GO! (2016)

Soldato
So the Plus came out but it doesn't seem that great: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/52ulu6/pokemon_go_plus_the_plus_uses_only_regular_poké/

AUaC9DZl.png

At the moment it only uses poke balls. If you have great or ultra balls and dump away all your poke balls, it won't use them.

At least it tracks your distance while your phone is locked. Should help with battery life.

Doesn't seem great but think I'd still grab one if it was around a tenner, but really not worth thirty five. I'd mainly get it so I could register walking without having to walk around with my phone in my hand, though apparently the problems with distance tracking are the same as with the app.

Soldato
Is anyone else enjoying this game more now that the hype has died down, we went for a short walk last night and battled 3 gyms, almost 24 hours later I am still in two of them.

Soldato
Yeah, holding gyms is a bit easier, but I am stagnating in terms of new pokemons collected. Level 24 and I've got just over 100. I don't really have the time to go to specific places and wait to collect specific missing ones/enough candy to evolve them. But I am still playing for now...

Soldato
Is anyone else enjoying this game more now that the hype has died down, we went for a short walk last night and battled 3 gyms, almost 24 hours later I am still in two of them.

Wish that was the case with my local gyms, it did seem to die down a bit a while ago and I held one for several days, but now they're changing hands frequently again. I might occasionally hold onto one overnight but most are taken within an hour or two, sometimes straight away which is always annoying.

I'm still playing because I may as well, but not really a great deal of fun any more.

Soldato
I'm still playing as my walk to work from parking takes me past 9 stops and 2 gym's. So it's on my way so to speak. I've also spent many a lunch hour at work just walking around town and visiting oh so many stops and gyms.
However my Pokemon count is low - level 23 and I've only caught 74.

Soldato
Im actually enjoying it more now it has slowed down. Gyms are harder to take but change hands less, spawn rates are up and the buddy system lets you get the last few candies for those just short of an evolution. Looking forward to their new tracking system.

I actually enjoy the grind in games, it makes getting those levels and rare evolution more satisfying.

Associate
Just wondering, if I evolve something like a Seaking from a Goldeen and pump some stardust into it, and then after gaining a few levels evolve another Seaking would I then be better off pumping my stardust into the new Seaking?

Soldato
I wouldn't bother pumping stardust into it if you're planning to evolve another that will be a higher CP. Not sure what level you are but I don't think its worth powering up until you get to a decent level, it's just a waste as you'll find better. Also I would bother wasting dust on a seaking personally. Finally I wouldn't bother powering up anything that doesn't have decent IVs and moves.

Soldato
Personally I would only power strong cp Pokemon like gyrados, vaporeon, dragonite and snorlax. Seaking are weak even when powered up.

Lower CP pokemon with good move-sets are very useful for training gyms up, though seaking is not an amazing pokemon and a better goldeen to evolve is always round the corner.

There are some hidden gem pokemon that are great for training gyms. I have a near 100% victreebel and vileplum, victreebel with solar beam and vileplume with moonblast, which are absolutely demonic charge moves for training against a lot of commonly used strong gym types. I was dissappointed that the vileplume got a fairy attack but after i got the victreebel, i realised i was better off, since i dont need more than a few pokemon with solarbeam.

My Lapras and snorlax are too strong to train at gyms, since the prestige return is too low. I also have an executor that i dont use that much but has been a strong defender.

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably with plant based Pokemon is that flareon are easy to obtain and take them down just like water hitting fire. I think ones like bellsprout, oddish and poliwag are worth doing but only if they have good iv and decent move set.

Soldato
You wouldnt match a plant base against a fire type though. With victreebel and vileplume their stats are heavily tilted for offense and not defense. You would choose your opponents for them and go for lapras/snorlax and other great high stamina high defense defenders with few weaknesses to actually hold a gym. These plant types are very useful for training and taking gyms down though.

Soldato
I like to take down gyms and put in something different if possible away from the usual vaporeon, snorlax or dragonite. Currently got a 1500cp Nidoqueen and vileploom which is slightly different from the common ones in gyms

Soldato
Although different, probably among the easiest to take down in this meta. They have a weakness to psychic, Ice and water, which seem to have very good attacking and common pokemon, mix that with nidoking/queen having fairly low defensive stats, they dont take full advantage of the double hp defender bonus. Their movesets can be okay but with flying defenders being common, ground moes tend to be quite lacklustre

I would probably aim for a minimum of 2k for gym defenders now everyone has higher CP but obviously that depends on your level.

Soldato
Would a wigglituff with Hyperbeam (highest appraisal level) be better as a defender or attacker?

Around 1300cp and 174hp.

I love to use 700-800cp raticates with hyperbeam to level up gyms - they'll take down most pokemons up to 1200cp/100hp and get a good prestige return as a result.

Soldato
So the Plus came out but it doesn't seem that great: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/52ulu6/pokemon_go_plus_the_plus_uses_only_regular_poké/

AUaC9DZl.png

At the moment it only uses poke balls. If you have great or ultra balls and dump away all your poke balls, it won't use them.

At least it tracks your distance while your phone is locked. Should help with battery life.

I got one for my girlfriend and myself to share for when we go on runs or drives, but you obviously don't want to stop to catch/swipe.

I will say this:

It has a lot more functionality than originally suggested.

It has the light codes to tell you:

-how many items you got from the stop
-if your bag is full
-if there is an unseen pokemon
-if you are out of range or losing connectivity
-if you catch or fail to catch a pokemon

I am sure there is more but have not used it much.

As far as the distance tracking goes, it is greatly improved. When your app fails to connect to their servers temporarily, it still seems to track if poke go + is still on.So much so that people have been convinced it counts extra distance when all it does is count it more accurately (1.6 x when i have tested it with the missus). I even open the app up to find that there was the loading symbol in the top left suggesting a loss in connectivity, but as soon as it finished loading i teleported to my current destination, it added the distance between.

I will also mention that it seems to be less effected by speed changes, not just from the accuracy of the count but my drives seem to count more too.

Battery wise makes a big difference too once locked. It does not take up much more than running a locked phone with google maps in the background.

Soldato
Thanks for sharing your experience with it. I would quite like one but still not sure I'd want to pay £35, not bad between two of you though I guess.

Back
Top Bottom