Aero/Gains Thread

Soldato
Which gloves do you guys recommend?

I've got my first 10m TT on Saturday morning and it will probably be low teens so chances are I might not need them. I rode in 12 degrees with low wind yesterday but fingers & wrists got a bit stiff and it wasn't a TT nor a short ride.

Being the first thing through the air does make a difference but I'm not looking to spend the earth and just want something to keep the chill off :) I had thought about some black latex mechanics gloves as a cheap throw away option but might be a bit derp and not very aero :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't bother, you'll soon warm up. Only wear if its below about 7c. Failing that Galibier make a nice cheap pair.

Thanks, I'll just MFTU.

I'm looking at my position that I posted earlier, I've bumped the saddle by about 15mm since (as well as changed it to a flat profiled one, still a road saddle mind) for a slightly greater knee extension to aide hamstring activation, pedal spindle & knee looks good.

Pedal stroke does feel quite different but I think it'll just take a bit of time to get used to getting the hamstrings to do some significant work. I really managed to dial this in on my road bike position recently. I might try shifting my saddle back slightly without affecting knee/spindle position majorly as I did flip the seatpost and shove it as far forward as possible from the off :o

Any pro tips or just a case of waiting for the proprioceptive elements to develop themselves?

Last edited:
Soldato
Those pics raise an interesting question.

Is it better to climb in the aero position or use the hoods for easier breathing? I guess it depends on the gradient somewhat.

I usually stay in the extensions until about 13-14mph, then come up and hands on pads unless I need to get out the saddle. I could climb in the position at lower speeds, but as you say it is easier to breathe. I suspect there is a sweet spot cutover point.

That climb was this one https://www.strava.com/segments/2503618?filter=following&gender=both so not especially steep or long.

Last edited:
Soldato
:D I'd rather be a bit competitive and use what I've got (low weight and good aero). Besides I much prefer riding the technical courses. Todays was just brilliant to ride.

I like chasing fast times too but agree the sporting courses are a lot of fun. On that basis I think I'm going to start and finish my season earlier next year and focus a bit more on the early season SpoCo stuff. This series is mostly on my doorstep (ish) and the events I did last year were good: http://www.lakesandlancsspoco.co.uk/

Only problem is on the flat courses I get beaten by the really powerful guys and on the hilly courses I get beaten by the really light guys...

Soldato
I like chasing fast times too but agree the sporting courses are a lot of fun. On that basis I think I'm going to start and finish my season earlier next year and focus a bit more on the early season SpoCo stuff. This series is mostly on my doorstep (ish) and the events I did last year were good: http://www.lakesandlancsspoco.co.uk/

Only problem is on the flat courses I get beaten by the really powerful guys and on the hilly courses I get beaten by the really light guys...

If you have a league and you're finishing consistently then in theory you should place well!

We had a new sporting league down here this year, I hope it continues next year as I will really be targetting it.

Just sold my disc wheel, so now on the hunt for something new, probably Zipp Super 9 or Hed Jet Stinger. If anyone sees any bargains though do let me know.

Soldato
Need to work out which helmet to go for, probably get a selection from Wiggle for sizing and go from there. Bell Javelin is massive on my head, but pretty good with keeping my head up so think a tail isn't too much harm for me.

Soldato

One benefit of not having super quick open 10 and 25 times is you can ask to start early/later in opens if the organisers do actually read the notes you enter on CTT. :D

Soldato
Just thinking after seeing someones bike at the weekend, how long until we see fly by wire braking set in a tiny pressure switch to minimise profile of the front handlebar?

Soldato
So the club TT was this morning, my first TT event, also an open so about 10 riders also there from other local clubs. Had a fantastic time :D

I'd ridden the route recently a few times to get a handle on pacing and familiarise myself with the course, though this always involved a 40 minute ride to & from, in the evening after work. Previous PB was 28:10 and today I managed 26:30, 22.7mpg @ 282w :) (just so happened to be the arbitrary Strava goal I'd set a few weeks back). Live segment flashed up towards the end and couldn't believe it :eek:

Good conditions though 10-12mph wind and quite an exposed hilly course with no real significant flat sections. I'd worn a long sleeve pro team jersey and brought a short sleeve with which was just as well as I would have cooked. Nice 10-15 minute warm up on the rollers and rocked up to the start with 90 seconds to spare, quick bit of banter with the club secretary and some one to keep me upright for a 'clipped in start'.

Absolutely flew by. Passed a few people and equally had the lad start behind me come past and then blow up and fall behind. Raced my own TT rather than concerning myself with catching anyone else nor being bothered if I was passed. KOM was achieved today, lad from the Army :o monster.

Really pleased with my pacing, using a combo of both HR and Power. Sat on/around/slightly over THR and then emptied the tank for the last mile :cool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/722802753/analysis/888/2478

NOvlqvU.png

ZjhNd05.png

Safe to say the Propel has served it's purpose and this discipline is something I can see myself getting quite in to. Found out my Aunt was Ladies champion (not quite sure to what degree) in 1998 so maybe it's in the blood.

Last edited:
Associate
Had our club 10 mile TT on the weekend, 22:20, 357w avg. Not strictly a TT guy, my bike is set up fairly relaxed for long distance tri. Happy with time, some fast lads out... I was down in 12th position!

DSC_2551.jpg

DSC_2551.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Best times on the day were low 21 somethings... as for the course, it's not a fast course at all, it's has some fair rises and uphill drags. Comparing my ride to the winner yesterday I lost time on every incline to him which I think is down to weight - I'm 76KG.

Soldato
Can tell you're a triathlete with socks like those. Might as well get a skin suit onesie!

Good power! Go lower on the front end for the short TTs and get the frontal area less?

Associate
Can tell you're a triathlete with socks like those. Might as well get a skin suit onesie!

Good power! Go lower on the front end for the short TTs and get the frontal area less?

The socks were from nopinz and it was their first outing, honestly I can't defend them :D

As for position, base bar is quite low, I just use a fair amount of spacers for the arm pad height... It's very well set up for optimal power and comfort for my level of flexibility, particularly around hip flexors etc. If I changed the angles much I would start to tighten up but yeah... shorter TT's perhaps fiddle.

Back
Top Bottom