Cats and yearly vaccinations/boosters....

Soldato
Right I know were not vets on here and i'm not after specific medical advise per se but I know we have a lot of cat owners on here and just wondering what they do about vaccinations and boosters etc for their cats?

We recently bought an Exotic Shorthair cat at about 18 months old due to the lady who bought her having split from her partner, starting University and already having two highly dependant children to look after who the cat didn't get on with.

The cat is completely healthy and fine, she has her full pedigree certificate along with vaccination record showing all jabs etc that she got when she was a kitten and at 1 year old. She turns 2 years old in November so my thoughts are turning to finding out if she needs any kind of booster jabs or anything else but i'm struggling to find out online what, if any, she needs to have.

She is an indoor cat and never really ever goes outside so exposure to things will be less so than a normal roaming cat but I know this wont stop her getting ill etc. We give her flea drops every month and we have worming tablets too which we buy online.

I've seen that the local Vets4Pets does a £99 Vac4Life booster offer for life but not sure what that actually is if they don't get boosters every year and is it just your essentially paying for a yearly check up? Does anyone have any experience of this? And what you do for your cats?

Soldato
we get out indoor cats boostered every year. they get a once over while theyre there. makes sense to me to have them checked over occasionally.

Soldato
Yearly booster for mine about £30, do you plan to go on holiday and put your cat in the cattery if you do you must have the booster certificate otherwise they won't take the moggy in.

Soldato
the vets4pets deal is awesome. We have that deal for our dog. It is as it says, all yearly boosters every year for the life of the pet for 99 quid

Soldato
Vac4Life seems like a offer too good to be true.

My cat's boosters with flea and worm treatment which also includes a checkup cost £75

* Reading the small print, it's not available at all vets plus they can withdraw the offer at anytime

Soldato
Annual boosters with a check-up at the vets. Frankly, if you don't do this, you should not have a cat at all.

No reputable cattery will take your pet without seeing the paperwork from the vets and there are enough unvaccinated feral cats around to carry the diseases being protected against.

Soldato
We have two cats, big tom's, one has all his boosters whenever required, the other turned up as a stray and had been living wild for some time. As a result he's very wild at heart and cannot be picked up, poked or prodded etc.

If you manage to lure him into a carrier he goes absolutely berserk and as a result hasn't had any jabs for a few years now. You can sneak a worm tablet into his food though and get the frontline on him but I do worry about him!

Soldato
THe Vets4Pets deal may look financially attractive, but they use the Leptp4 Vaccine for dogs (not sure how the cat ones work as I have no experience of this, but worth checking), which has proved highly controversial and has caused the death of many dogs. It is not really a requirement to use it, due to the VERY low numbers of incidents of what it covers in this country, but due to their commercial arrangements they are tied to using Lepto4 and will not offer the more proven, safer previous jab, Lepto2.

It was this reason alone I stuck with my local independent vet. He is well aware of the issues of Lepto4 and has no plans to use it. I am happy to pay my £33 to my local vet to have my dogs not use what vets4pets are using.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom