Learning to play guitar...

Caporegime
I just wanted to add that you need to stick with it.

Learning at the start can be very frustrating, your fingers will hurt (a lot), your hands won't do what you want them to do, and it'll feel like you aren't getting anywhere. In time, you will see yourself improving and it's incredibly rewarding.

The way I look at it is, if it was easy, then everyone would do it ;)

Soldato
I seem to remember half the battle when starting off if strengthening and stretching your fingers, I could never keep my pinkie strong. You can get a finger exercise device though never tried it when I used to try and play.

Soldato
OP
Musically I'm quite open minded, but I'm a huge fan of BB King, Red Hot Chillipeppers.

Really excited that I made the decision finally, just got to wait for the guitar to arrive!! Wish I'd paid for next day now :)

Man of Honour
I remember the first time I actually managed a rendition of "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle" that actually sounded like "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Reenge On Seattle", after countless attempts that sounded absolutely nothing like it.

Practice every day, even if it isn't for long, and start off with stuff you like. Just be aware that self teaching and just playing stuff you like tends to result in you developing a comfort zone which you are reluctant to stray outside of - you'll find yourself looking at a tab and thinking "Er, sod that, I'll play something else" whereas with a tutor you'll be challenged to move outside that comfort zone and keep developing.

Associate
I learnt from books that showed you chords and when to play them above the lyrics back in 1996. I prefer books as it's hard to sit on your gaming chair with a guitar on your lap haha. What made it easier for me was having a steel string guitar so the strings are not too far above the fretboard.

V F

V F

Soldato
I just wanted to add that you need to stick with it.

Learning at the start can be very frustrating, your fingers will hurt (a lot), your hands won't do what you want them to do, and it'll feel like you aren't getting anywhere. In time, you will see yourself improving and it's incredibly rewarding.

The way I look at it is, if it was easy, then everyone would do it ;)
Isn't that one of the great things about life? Doing things the majority cannot carry out. Or have the patience and skill for it.

Yet the ironic thing is when you succeed and/or become famous most of them are taking to social media to try and bring you down.

Associate
I found when I first started playing that just playing anything was the best way to work my way around the neck. Noodling along to adverts, songs, TV themes etc.
You start to learn where notes are and basic improvisation.
Learn your basic power chords and simple chord structures. Eg. A,D,E.
Record yourself ALL the time. You learn so much off what you have done already, good and bad.
That should do for a start :)

Man of Honour
I think that anyone who suggests anything other than buying a 'three chord song* book' is just a massive liar. Find one that has a bunch of songs you like and start chording away! Soon you'll be going "grrrrr E!" and "hurrrrrrrgn A!"... all on your way to going "gnuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh F!" :D

Also, like pretty much anything else, it's nicer and better to have things on paper than on a screen.

Seriously - 3 chord song book. It's the best way of familiarising yourself with the bare bones of the guitar.

(*The songs don't have to be exclusively 3 chords... but just that sort of book).

Last edited:
Soldato
If you can afford it get lessons. If you can get a good guitar tutor it will make an immense difference to what you can achieve and your ability to progress without picking up a ton of bad habits. Martyzsongs is a good shout as is Rocksmith. Most of all those it's practice. Good luck!

Soldato
Just found this thread as I was searching to see if there were many other fingerstyle/classical guitar players on here.

So, OP, how have you got in the past year? Always interesting to hear how new guitarists are getting on and what style they're playing. I always recommend learning classical or flamenco first because you get so much more technique than just learning to play chords, but everyone is different and I guess you have to enjoy the sound of classical or Spanish music.

I'd be interested in seeing how you've got on over the past year.

Soldato
I like to think that maybe one day I'll be as good as pino forastiere or sergio altamura :rolleyes:
Just don't have the time to spend getting there, nor the inspiration.

If you're into fingerstyle stuff look at candyrat records on youtube. They have lots of interesting musicians to get absorbed by.

Soldato
Check out Phil Jakes on YouTube Does great covers/arrangements of songs on Acoustic, steel and nylon. A lot of hard rock and metal, but everything really.

Soldato
Just found this thread as I was searching to see if there were many other fingerstyle/classical guitar players on here.

So, OP, how have you got in the past year? Always interesting to hear how new guitarists are getting on and what style they're playing. I always recommend learning classical or flamenco first because you get so much more technique than just learning to play chords, but everyone is different and I guess you have to enjoy the sound of classical or Spanish music.

My background is classical but I'm switching more now to gypsy jazz. That's doesn't mean to say I don't play other stuff I've spent most of the day playing slide blues. I'd also agree on anyone starting with classical to get the technique and the theory but also more fundamental things you tend to miss out in rock style playing like control of dynamics and understanding of syncopation etc.

Soldato
OP

If I'm honest, it's sat in the back of a cupboard...I never really made the time to learn it.

Having three young children sucks any free time up unfortunately. But, one day I will take the time to learn.

Soldato
If I'm honest, it's sat in the back of a cupboard...I never really made the time to learn it.

Having three young children sucks any free time up unfortunately. But, one day I will take the time to learn.

Get them playing. All my kids play (two being good the rest 3 chord wonders). You say young but how young: if they are really little then get them started on a uke if they are say 4-5 then you can get decent 1/4 size classicals off Amazon - Valencia is the model make. Start them off on a classical guitar because of the nylon strings there is nothing to kill a kids enthusiasm for playing than slicing their finger open on a high E string. Do it together that's what we do - jam as a family. We don't watch TV at all just knock out riffs and stuff all night - it's good fun.

Back
Top Bottom