Dacia appreciation Thread

Soldato
Oh my goodness this thread contains some cringe.

I totally get why Dacias exist. I wouldn't ever consider entertaining the thought of buying one, but I get why people do. They give not a single toss about the way it drives or the way it feels, they want a cheap brand new car with no hassle to get them to and fro. They're not going to want to go and spend 3-5k on a completely unknown quantity of a used car. It's just an appliance to them. Acme I thought even you would have enough nous to realise this!

I like the Duster's rugged looks. It's a shame about the woeful interior but then it's built to a price, so you can't blame it.

Soldato
OP
I appreciate your Dacia Duster OP. I wouldn't buy one myself but I can see why people do. Plus I think they even look ok!

Thank you McCarf! High five!

This post sums up perfectly why every thread becoming Acme's Bible of "advice" and comparisons to his cars is just ridiculous.

I fail to see anything wrong whatsoever with the Dacia in the OP other than the issue of buying new vs buying nearly new for the potential cost savings whole still being in warranty.

Just because the majority of people in a car subforum on an already geeky and niche computer modding forum (does that not say it all?!) feel it doesn't meet their criteria doesn't make it a **** car.

There are a vast amount of people who couldn't care less what features a car has other than having 4 wheels, an engine and not spending more time in a garage than in use. My gf is one of such people, she has a 62 plate pre-facelift bottom of the range diesel fiesta. It's pretty gutless to drive and even manages to not have alloys, on a 62 plate! But you know what it does? It serves its purpose of getting her from home to work and the occasional long trip the length of Wales with no issues at all.

Not forgetting, Acme, that you appear to have the means to have a car sat in pieces on your drive if needs be and you'll get by. Some people don't have that luxury!

I honestly looked everywhere for a nearly new Dacia, the rare ones I could find were either gone by the time I called, practically the same price as a new one or an import. I went in to the Dacia garage and the sales man tried to sell me a brand new Dacia for £8700 for a model that was £9500 brand new!

I do really think that the car will be worth a lot more than what people think it will be. From my point of view, I would pay pretty decent money for a 3 year old Dacia.

Ps thanks for the comments :D

Oh my goodness this thread contains some cringe.

I totally get why Dacias exist. I wouldn't ever consider entertaining the thought of buying one, but I get why people do. They give not a single toss about the way it drives or the way it feels, they want a cheap brand new car with no hassle to get them to and fro. They're not going to want to go and spend 3-5k on a completely unknown quantity of a used car. It's just an appliance to them. Acme I thought even you would have enough nous to realise this!

I like the Duster's rugged looks. It's a shame about the woeful interior but then it's built to a price, so you can't blame it.

When I spent nearly 4 months watching and reading every single thing about the Dacia, the one common factor and review was the "cheap pastic interior".... However, majority of the car reviewers said, unless you physically knock the dash board it doesn't look as cheap as it feels.

I have bought many cars in my life time.... And my duster has by far been the absolute best and most suited to my needs and budget!

So this Acme is a bit of know it all, I only agree with my own views type of guy hey. Must say I did LOL when he compared my new Dacia to buying 3 10 -15 year old Audi, told my wife funny enough... She just burst out laughing and said, "Pfft you'd have been taking all 3 pieces of **** back the same day mate!

Raah, I mean look how happy we are in our Dacia. We smile like this everytime we sit in it:

sv75lj.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
Its not a bad looking car the duster, but i wouldnt buy one, but i wouldnt every buy a new car with my own money. Ive had 3 new car, and the supposed prestige brand was the most troublesome, and some of the most unreliable used marques, gave me the least trouble.

I think people incorrectly view used cars with disdain, fairly sure 3-5 years cars dont break down with regularity (well unless its french or italian :p), but i get the peace of mind argument, life is challenging enough, without having to worry about the car. But compared to cars in the 70's and 80's even the most unreliable crap box of this millenium is brilliantly reliable. My dad would regularly carry cambelt,HG,water pumps etc in the boot, to fix his car at the roadside.

Caporegime
Stop lecturing people Acme, it's utterly ridiculous and given the fact you barely listened to a single nugget of advice during your many motoring 'adventures', attempting to preach to someone with a decent car (even if it is a Romanian fridge on wheels) is unbearable to read.

Hell, if you weren't so irresponsible you too could have landed yourself in a nice, reasonably priced and practical automobile such as the Duster.

Caporegime
I think the fact I enjoyed the rental Duster I had so much was the fact I could troll through snow and ice, while American tourists where struggling with their little fwd hatchbacks.

ZIxrtdP.jpg

Soldato
You get a long warranty yea, but I bet you find it doesn't cover things like the clutch. Which are often made of cheese on cheap cars. Kia and Hyundai are the same :/

Soldato
OP
You get a long warranty yea, but I bet you find it doesn't cover things like the clutch. Which are often made of cheese on cheap cars. Kia and Hyundai are the same :/

Well only time will tell. One of the woman in work with was one of the first to have a Duster and so far not a single thing has gone wrong!

I think the fact I enjoyed the rental Duster I had so much was the fact I could troll through snow and ice, while American tourists where struggling with their little fwd hatchbacks.

ZIxrtdP.jpg

WOW, Beautiful!

Permabanned
Nothing will go wrong as there is nothing to go wrong on them! Its very simple tech, and quite old, the K9K dci engine has been around for donkeys years.

Soldato
I can't believe the grief you are getting and bearing in mind Acme's history you would think he would keep his mouth shut when people are mentioning cars.

The logic of why dump £10k on a new Dacia when you could get a 5 year old Audi is the same as why dump £30k on a new BMW when you could get a 5 year old Maserati (or indeed a 10 year old Aston Martin) is completely false, they are 2 very different beasts that each have their niche.

I completely agree that Dacia's have their place in the market and wish my mother would buy one instead of the shed she runs about in but I've yet to convince her.

Caporegime
My history is completely irrelevant and people need to shut up about it. Making a mistake doesn't mean I cant pass opinion on a related subject. If anything it means I'm more qualified to talk about it than I was before.

Learning from your mistakes and all that...

It wore thin a long time ago. Its alright when people make the odd humorous jab, but not this.

Last edited:
Soldato
My history is completely irrelevant

And yet, within the last 48 hours, ish, you've brought up your car history or past car experiences (read failures) in at least 5 different threads, and that's with motors seeming quite slow on new threads at the moment. And that's excluding multiple different references in the same thread and your ideas about future modding to the Skoda and weekend car buying ideas. Can you see where the problem lies?

Caporegime
Yes, I can.

I'll stop talking about it unless it is strictly relevant...

It still doesn't mean people should drag it into even more threads to use it as ammo against me.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's not that. It's how you're telling people their decision is wrong. Had you simply said "I'd rather a slightly oder car from a different marque for the same money" and left it at that, nobody would've said a thing but instead you've banged on about it in what was two different threads and telling everyone else they're wrong.

Your opinion is just that, yours. You'd do well to remember that an opinion different to yours isn't wrong.

Man of Honour
My history is completely irrelevant and people need to shut up about it. Making a mistake doesn't mean I cant pass opinion on a related subject. If anything it means I'm more qualified to talk about it than I was before.

Learning from your mistakes and all that...

It wore thin a long time ago. Its alright when people make the odd humorous jab, but not this.

This is only a thing because you chose to launch an assault on his choice of car. Which is totally fine, it's what forums are for but you can't then get miffed when people take issue.

Nobody would be having pops at your choices had you not opened the batting!

Soldato
One of my neighbours has one of these (think it's a special edition) and it actually looks pretty cool

1373622236618_Dacia_Duster_Adventure_03.jpg

He uses it a lot off road and apparently bought it because it's a lot more rugged than most 4x4s, whilst still being small enough to fit down narrow tracks and park in town. I got a ride in it once and it didn't feel particularly slow either - obviously it's no sports car, but it was nowhere near as bad as I expected.

Soldato
In this thread:

1) OP started thread in an attempt at being ironic to win internet points
2) OP realises OcUK (except from ACME) actually like the Duster for what it is
3) Realising he has egg on his face, OP asked for his Duster thread to be merged with the existing Duster thread

OP is [TFU] Thegoon84

Man of Honour
Yes, I can.

I'll stop talking about it unless it is strictly relevant...

It still doesn't mean people should drag it into even more threads to use it as ammo against me.

You often appear critical of other people's vehicles. When people see this, all they will do is think about the pages and pages of debate and advice you ignored before making your numerous poor decisions regarding cars.

Something to think about.

Anyway, this thread is for appreciating Dacia's - try and keep it on track.

Back
Top Bottom