Forza Horizon 3 just shown at E3

Soldato
I also have stutters and drops in cities- do we know if it is GPU bound or CPU bound? I have a 390x @1080p on high/ultra with a 4770k at stock 3.9GHz.

Also would 8GB of RAM be an issue? I don't have anything running in the background so I wouldn't have thought so.

Soldato
Anyone with a TH8A shifter that has it working, please share exactly what you did, settings, options the whole kit and caboodle.

I've seen people use it with a Thrustmaster wheel, but not a G27, would appreciate it. Apparently just selecting the default G27 profile works, but I'll test that in the morning, too noisy now.

16GB is recommended, but is playable with 8GB, not sure how much of a leap 8GB more would be though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Spoken directly with tech support of the Horizon PC department. Aware of issues and have been told that fixes are first priority (stuttering & poor performance on even top tier equipment). G27 fix also coming (work arounds are a poor substitute for G27). Amazingly enough chap I web chatted said many still can't even launch the game still. Oh dear. Still onwards and upwards.

Soldato
The above process adjustment works somewhat for me in built up areas. I was getting anywhere between 35-60 FPS driving around Surfers Paradise, now that still drops but only to around 50 FPS and it's a lot briefer and unobtrusive.

Shame there are these little bugs/un-optimisations, as everywhere else I can run 1080p/60FPS at Ultra with 4xMSAA quite happily. Certainly seems to be an issue with being artificially CPU bound rather than GPU limited.

Associate
In general can anyone give views on performance at 4K with how the 1070 is against a 1080 GPU. Have a 1070FTW ordered as wasnt convinced the general difference in these cards at 4K res was worth an extra £230+ (well for having to lower some settings but get a similar experience).

Will the 1070 currently manage 4K fixed at 30 with all set to MAX?
(i7 6700k @4.6)

I've played 45 hours at 4K on my 1070. Most settings on high, a few (reflections and adjacent settings) on ultra, MSAA off, and it's at 60fps almost all of the time. Occasional dips to around 45-55fps but nothing to spoil my enjoyment. I certainly don't feel like the extra >£200 would have been worth it for me to get a 1080 for this game.

That's with a stock 4770k (I know, I should have overclocked it by now but I've just never felt a need based on game performance!)

Associate
Anyone else having problems with server tonight or loading the club page? I keep getting messages saying forza horizon server is not available.

Yes,tried to play,but was so tired i just gave up after few "server unavailable" messages.With new players in,thats expected actualy

Soldato
I've played 45 hours at 4K on my 1070. Most settings on high, a few (reflections and adjacent settings) on ultra, MSAA off, and it's at 60fps almost all of the time. Occasional dips to around 45-55fps but nothing to spoil my enjoyment. I certainly don't feel like the extra >£200 would have been worth it for me to get a 1080 for this game.

That's with a stock 4770k (I know, I should have overclocked it by now but I've just never felt a need based on game performance!)

Thanks for the reply, will try those when the card arrives (expected today). I decided to hold out and pass on the RX480/GT1060 cards as wanting 4K in future but not have to pay over the top for it. So I presume its possible everything at max with 30 can be achieved also, even though it may be hard to see the difference in general gameplay for some settings?

Have you or anyone else tried 21:9 on your 4K TV's?

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the reply, will try those when the card arrives (expected today). I decided to hold out and pass on the RX480/GT1060 cards as wanting 4K in future but not have to pay over the top for it. So I presume its possible everything at max with 30 can be achieved also, even though it may be hard to see the difference in general gameplay for some settings?

Have you or anyone else tried 21:9 on your 4K TV's?

No worries, hopefully you'll be as pleased with your 1070 at 4K as I have been!

I would expect that 30fps lock works at max, with the possible exception of MSAA which seems to be causing issues (see Digital Foundry's video.)

Regarding settings, I played the first few hours on all ultra except MSAA off and it was smooth most of the time, but over time I decided to reduce to high and see if I could get closer to a complete 60fps lock. It was definitely closer, but I could notice the lower quality of the reflections on cars most of all, hence putting those back to ultra. The 1070 seems to cope very well with those on ultra so I've left the settings as they are for a while now :)

I haven't tried 21:9 on Forza - tried it on some other games and it just seemed like I was wasting a big part of my screen so I've stuck with 16:9.

Associate
Yeah, no point running a game 21:9 on a 16:9 screen.

What would be the point?

It can help with performance as the resolution would be lower, and it increases the horizontal field of view, but so far I've just preferred to fill the screen :) 21:9 on my screen is about the same size as a 34 inch 21:9 monitor.

That's from someone who hates when 2.35:1 widescreen movies are cropped to 16:9, so I can see the argument for 21:9, I'm just happy with 16:9 in games for now.

Associate
If it's struggling at 4k, just run in 2560 x 1440 though, surely?

My 2014 Panasonic 4k TV supports that resolution via HDMI.

That's an option too, but if scaled to fit the screen would be less sharp than a 21:9 1:1 pixel mapping which would use more of the screen than 2560 x 1440 at 1:1.

Edit: I just love having the options provided by a big 4K display :) can choose whichever approach feels best for each scenario!

Soldato
Yeah, no point running a game 21:9 on a 16:9 screen.

What would be the point?

The same as playing on an Ulrtawide monitor.
21:9 gaming monitors often may not have the picture quality or backlighting that some TVs can manage. Additionally you can get a MUCH bigger 21:9 experience on something like a 50" or bigger 4KTV.

The user has the choice to run games in 1080p upscaled / 4K native and use if desired custom 21:9 aspect ratio's at such resolutions. Of course a specific gaming monitor for 21:9 has no black bars and will have better refresh times for hardcore FPS gamers but then again you cant enjoy 4K 16:9 on them neither.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, downgrading to 372.70 has improved things a lot, however going in the festival or doing any tuning drops the framerate to 15fps and stays there until I reset the game, which is fun.

Soldato
In general can anyone give views on performance at 4K with how the 1070 is against a 1080 GPU. Have a 1070FTW ordered as wasnt convinced the general difference in these cards at 4K res was worth an extra £230+ (well for having to lower some settings but get a similar experience).

Will the 1070 currently manage 4K fixed at 30 with all set to MAX?
(i7 6700k @4.6)
Yes, you'd be fine a 4k/30fps/max settings with a 1070(as a 980Ti is capable of it). The game seems to be very willing to perform properly with a 30fps cap. It's when people start to aim for 60fps that all the problems start.

Back
Top Bottom