dsb

dsb

Associate
About 200 miles a day, less or more if i want to, may go on the motorway after andorra to Orange in France then back onto the good roads, no stress.

Soldato
So on my 2nd day I go via this route, which takes me through this tunnel - https://goo.gl/maps/Vwxofi1d6vS2

I'd already noticed it was a 9.50 euro toll, so was probably going to avoid it and take the twisty road over rather than through, Baron went through the tunnel which has confirmed I'll be missing it out! 80kph speed limit, for miiiiiiles. No thanks!!

IC3

IC3

Soldato
He's complaining about peoples driving in Austria whilst you get idiots here going slower in the overtaking lane than the crawler. When left is free and they're doing 60 on the right, I go on left 70 and undertake them. Its legal as long as you're doing the speed limit apparently. :D

If I was a police officer, I would just sit on the motorway and those who hog the overtaking lane whilst there's 2 miles of free space on the left. I would give tickets out, just like people give leaflets out. But for the time being full beams and horn is my only weapon against the hoggers...

Last edited:
Soldato
TBH I think he probably noticed the poor driving standard as a lot of europe the motorway standard of driving is perfect.

In France/Belgium/Germany every single car overtook something, then went straight back into the inside lane. On the M20 here after returning I saw 5 MLM's in the space of 2 miles, 5 more than I'd seen in hundreds of miles in Europe!

I also will sit in the inside lane and go past many, many drivers like that, so long as you're not switching lanes to undertake them it's fine.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Same thing happens in Poland, I was doing 200km/h and a guy behind me in a C63 AMG was getting closer so I went on the middle after I pass the traffic, let him pass without him needing to brake and stayed in the middle for as long, as I got close to traffic overtook and back into the middle.

If you hog a lane in Eastern Europe, you'll get someone sitting up your rear with their full beam and horn. If you don't move, they'll undertake you and brake test you. :p

I always clear the overtaking lane and someone who wants to go faster always holds onto me haha. I wouldn't want someone behind me with my bright LED headlight on full beam, it blinds you. :p But the tickets would quickly sort out the problem, how many people would do it again if they got a fine for it?

Last edited:
Associate
If I was a police officer, I would just sit on the motorway and those who hog the overtaking lane whilst there's 2 miles of free space on the left. I would give tickets out, just like people give leaflets out. But for the time being full beams and horn is my only weapon against the hoggers...

I've followed a police car round the M25 before who would come up behind a middle lane hogger, flash his lights with no response, then turn on the blues and they'd move over. Then he'd pull in front of them and flash his led matrix saying "DON'T MIDDLE LANE HOG" before moving on to the next guy.

While he wasn't giving out tickets, it was nice to see police actually doing something about everyone lost in the middle lane. Hopefully some blue lights flashing behind them might give these people an idea that they were doing something wrong.

Of course I only first noticed the police car by the blue lights in my face as I happened to be undertaking a car while cruising at 80mph in the left lane. Thankfully he paid no attention to that and I followed him at 80 for around 15 minutes blue lighting every other car.

Soldato
Think I'm gonna have to pay a visit to Monte Grappa while I'm in the Dolomites, it's a pleasant ride away - there's a huge WW1 monument there.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going to be sitting my direct access mod2 test this November (fingers crossed I pass). I'm also a full-time student, so don't have to worry about the dates.

Given the following:

* Riding my YBR125 since January 2016
* 16+ hours on road training on a ER6-N (650cc, 71hp)

And provided I pass my mod 2 and source a reasonably powered bike this year (600cc+) do you all think it's a good idea for me to do join in on the reserves list at this stage?

Man of Honour
OP
I'm going to be sitting my direct access mod2 test this November (fingers crossed I pass). I'm also a full-time student, so don't have to worry about the dates.

Given the following:

* Riding my YBR125 since January 2016
* 16+ hours on road training on a ER6-N (650cc, 71hp)

And provided I pass my mod 2 and source a reasonably powered bike this year (600cc+) do you all think it's a good idea for me to do join in on the reserves list at this stage?

You'll be fine :)

Your ride to the alps will give you more than enough training to ride with us once you're here.

Soldato
Haha :D

Okay I'm beat, you can confirm me! I'm confident that I can pass my mod 2 this November, or at least in time for August 2017 :cool:

Edit: I'm planning to leave my home town 7 days before, allowing time for the 600+ miles to the first stop. Additionally, I should be starting my second year of university the last week of September; giving me time to make the journey back in good time. But these are quite basic plans for the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
Haha :D

Okay I'm beat, you can confirm me! I'm confident that I can pass my mod 2 this November, or at least in time for August 2017 :cool:

Edit: I'm planning to leave my home town 7 days before, allowing time for the 600+ miles to the first stop. Additionally, I should be starting my second year of university the last week of September; giving me time to make the journey back in good time. But these are quite basic plans for the moment.

There's some great roads between the UK and Switzerland, if you need any help choosing your route let me know. A few of us are heading off a week or so early before getting to Kreee's, I'm heading east to the dolomites and DSB is heading to Spain and working his way back east.

I'll confirm too :) will fill out the info tomorrow, off to bed now. :)

You know it makes sense :D just make sure whatever bike you have in 10 months time is suitable for the trip! :p

Soldato
Sat on the MT-07 and wanted it straight away :p I think it'll be fine anyway but the meet up is months away so I'll probably have a new one by then. :D Could maybe rent one out for the trip. :)

Back
Top Bottom