Spec me a mountain bike £500

Soldato
Saracen Mantra Pro, most local dealers will discount them a little if you ask nicely.

Tbh though bikes at this price point are much of a muchness.

Soldato
Looks pretty decent just concerned about having just 20 gears.

Don't fall for the more gears is best gears thing - in fact 99% of the time you'd want to be going for 10 or 11 over 20 or 30!

First few bikes I got had 30 gears, I'm now down to 20 gears and it's miles better - less weight, less frequent gear changing, less cog swapping also means less chance of a derail, more reliable.

Look at the high end modern bikes on the internet - the very best have "only" got 10 or 11 gears! Unless you've got lady legs you're really honestly not going to struggle with "only" 20 gears - it'll be fine.

Associate
OP
No problem lads just thought the more gears the better range I'd have.

I haven't had a mountain bike for years used mainly ride bmx when I was young.

This is just for fun, road and off road. No competition.

Are air forks better than spring?

Soldato
Raidon forks are as good as you are like to get for ~£500.

Number of gears makes no odds, it's the range and how big the jumps are between them. My Voodoo Wazoo had a "megarange" 8-speed cassette, the easiest two sprockets were 26T and 34T, it made the change to the easiest gear very clunky. Jumps of ~4 and under are far smoother.

For something a bit more out there, http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-dune-fat-bike-p347149 is ~£460 after buying through Topcashback.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Raidon forks are as good as you are like to get for ~£500.

Number of gears makes no odds, it's the range and how big the jumps are between them. My Voodoo Wazoo had a "megarange" 8-speed cassette, the easiest two sprockets were 26T and 34T, it made the change to the easiest gear very clunky. Jumps of ~4 and under are far smoother.

For something a bit more out there, http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-dune-fat-bike-p347149 is ~£460 after buying through Topcashback.

Yeah I am liking the Halford one thanks :)

Hate this one though!

I must have air front forks and hydraulic brakes.

Do you not like the bike I posted?

Soldato
Yeah I am liking the Halford one thanks :)

Hate this one though!

I must have air front forks and hydraulic brakes.

Do you not like the bike I posted?

The vitus is not bad but suntour xct/xcm/xcr forks are thier budget range, the suntour raidon is a step up.
Forks are expensive to upgrade.

The trek and rhe specialized linked above are also running budget forks.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The vitus is not bad but suntour xct/xcm/xcr forks are thier budget range, the suntour raidon is a step up.
Forks are expensive to upgrade.

The trek and rhe specialized linked above are also running budget forks.

Thanks buddy, so do you recommend a bike not listed above?

Soldato
The voodoo bizango from halfords is slightly better than the boardman, but it's listed at £600, but if you can get it discounted/on offer it has bettter kit on it.

Out of the above the boardman is best.

Associate
OP
The voodoo bizango from halfords is slightly better than the boardman, but it's listed at £600, but if you can get it discounted/on offer it has bettter kit on it.

Out of the above the boardman is best.

I'll check that out thanks. Might up the budget a bit ;)

Back
Top Bottom