• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Caporegime
Its 2560x1440 IPS 12-bit internal processing 1.07 billon colours, wide 110% colour gamut. which is still better then most screens on the market today. The only thing I am missing out on is Gsync which is nice to have but by itself isn't worthwhile to upgrade to. As much as I want a new screen I just cannot find a worthwhile upgrade same for CPU and other components. Over 5 years later and apart from 1 GPU upgrade everything runs perfectly and there is little reason to upgraded. I never had a CPU last over 5 years before. Personally I find PCs are lasting longer each generation and the upgrading cost over the years is going down and down.

Agreed. My last screen was a perfectly good 2560 x 1440 ips 27" screen. It was only an itch which got me a 4k 32" screen.

Probably would have been just as happy with my 4 year old screen as framerates would have been much higher.

I have just upgraded the pc but mainly for the watercooling and "slipped" in a new gfx ;) Didnt have to. cpu still the same old one and all the hard drives moved across.

Problem is you can spend £1k to £2k to upgrade your pc and gain just 20% framerates over a 3/4 year old one.

10/20 years ago that would have been a 4/5 fold increase.

Soldato
Guys i need a hand with Nvidia drivers, ive not personally owned an Nvidia card in over 12 years, we bought a Precision Workstation from Dell and its been a comedy of errors, the supplied chassis and PSU did not have an 8pin connector, only 2 x 6pin so i had to get a convertor from Amazon.

I spoke to Dell about this and they say they dont supply them lol, anyhow the Cards in, we use a corporate Windows 10 64 Bit Enterprise build, its got a few GPOs that limit a few things but really not much.

Anyhow so ive built the desktop, it runs windows etc fine, done the updates and now need to install the GPU drivers, downloaded the latest drivers from the Nvidia site, they wont work and tell me they dont support this version of windows, ive looked into it, were using Windows 10 64bit 10240, googled around apparently i need a 11520 version or something?

Anyone managed to get the Windows 10 64Bit drivers working with 10240?

Soldato
Have you tried with a quadro driver and a modded inf?

Nope, im going to try Win 8.1 on it tomorrow to see if it will load the drivers with that, its just a CAD workstation, were due to elevate our Builds to 1511 but prob wont be til early next year, so i can hopefully get it working with Win8 til then and then rebuild it with Win10 at that point.

To be honest id swap it for an AMD Firepro or even a Quadro card as whoever decided a 1080 was a good idea as a CAD cad needs their head checking when im fairly certain the Professional series cards are much better for it no?

Permabanned
Nope, im going to try Win 8.1 on it tomorrow to see if it will load the drivers with that, its just a CAD workstation, were due to elevate our Builds to 1511 but prob wont be til early next year, so i can hopefully get it working with Win8 til then and then rebuild it with Win10 at that point.

To be honest id swap it for an AMD Firepro or even a Quadro card as whoever decided a 1080 was a good idea as a CAD cad needs their head checking when im fairly certain the Professional series cards are much better for it no?

You can still get the Windows 10 (home/pro) update for free (which isn't a bad idea) if you do install 8.1. I waited for the AE edition before taking my machines to 10. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Soldato
You can still get the Windows 10 (home/pro) update for free (which isn't a bad idea) if you do install 8.1. I waited for the AE edition before taking my machines to 10. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

I think you are missing the point, we use Windows 8.1 / Windows 10 both Enterprise versions deployed via SCCM, they are GPO'd to prevent access to certain stuff etc, its a corporate enviroment, these builds go to WSUS servers, not out on the internet to get their updates lol, if we left that open we would have all sorts of issues :)

Basically i wanted to use our Corporate Windows 10 build, it wont work as its not a high enough build level yet, so i am having to revert to using Win 8.1 until i can roll Win10 out onto this machine.

Soldato
SiDeards73 you can just use the drivers that came out before the Windows 10 Anniversary update, they will install fine. Also they will be more than fine till your firm updates to the latest version, I understand that headache too in corporate environments with polices in place as there always should be, but they also do cause some headaches as you have seen, only other way is to either patch that one machine and add it to the network as the one and only updated (which I guess will not happen unless you are running the I.T department) or as above keep the windows 10 build you have and stick an older driver on be Win10 AU. Also a Nvidia Quadro or AMD Firepro or a Matrox card would have been a better CAD card than a 1080, but depends on the CAD software you are using too and how many displays you use per CAD machine.

Soldato
SiDeards73 you can just use the drivers that came out before the Windows 10 Anniversary update, they will install fine. Also they will be more than fine till your firm updates to the latest version, I understand that headache too in corporate environments with polices in place as there always should be, but they also do cause some headaches as you have seen, only other way is to either patch that one machine and add it to the network as the one and only updated (which I guess will not happen unless you are running the I.T department) or as above keep the windows 10 build you have and stick an older driver on be Win10 AU. Also a Nvidia Quadro or AMD Firepro or a Matrox card would have been a better CAD card than a 1080, but depends on the CAD software you are using too and how many displays you use per CAD machine.

Yeah, ironically i would never have picked the 1080 for the CAD machine, and even more ironically the machine is going to be only used via RDP Sessions as its going to be housed in our Server room... The whole things an utter joke really, i would have picked a Quaddro or a Firepro card, unfortunately the Dell Premier portal we use has preconfigured builds on it and this build was done by someone who probably didnt have an idea of the issues that would arise.

Any idea what drivers i can get that will work with Win10 10240 build ver? which are the earlier ones that will be compatible with it?

Man of Honour
Windows 10 in a production environment... good luck with that. They tried twice at work and had to abandon it because the OS would either do things of its own accord or didn't have proper control over things that every other OS lets you - especially not good on public facing machines that need to reliably run a foreground application.

Soldato
Yea Windows 10 is a nightmare for corporate use. Ignoring the windows update problems, you can no longer disable the store using group policy (MS patched it out for all but enterprise edition!) among other things. Also it's full of "apps" trying to send data to Microsoft, which is obviously a security issue.

Last edited:
Associate
Currently running the latest drivers (372.90) on a Win 7 64bit PC with a GeForce GTX 970.

Not long after Windows booting the following is thrown: -

Display driver nVidia stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

It recovers and all seems normal, it's just a pain especially if I'm already in a game, and it's not just with the same game it keeps happening.

Anyone have any ideas what I should look for to resolve this?

Thanks & Regards

Back
Top Bottom