Huddys interview Guide

Permabanned
divosuk said:
As I dont see this one see this on your very comprehensive guide....I thought I would include one I once got asked........

'Why are most man-hole covers round ?'

And this was for a job as a Mechanical Engineer.

Heres more

i think i know that one!!

so it has even weight distribution, rectangle ones would likely break in the middle when a lorry goes over it.

someone tell me im right :D

Associate
Hi Huddy,

I know you mentioned about going smart, all my other job interviews I have worn suit and tie. I have a interview on Thursday for a web dev job and got told not to wear a suit as they are relaxed, just trousers and shirt.
What would your advice for this be?

Associate
Hi Huddy,

I know you mentioned about going smart, all my other job interviews I have worn suit and tie. I have a interview on Thursday for a web dev job and got told not to wear a suit as they are relaxed, just trousers and shirt.

Got told by whom? If it was instructions from the company interviewing you, then you should follow their instructions. Otherwise I'd suit up and wear a tie regardless, you can always take the jacket and tie off if it turns out you're massively overdressed.

Man of Honour
OP
Hi Huddy,

It really depends on the job and the industry but don't leave anything to chance because you are always up against the person next to you.

I would say certainly for an office position. Everything else is really down to your own judgement and discretion. Remember, you are on show here so everything little thing can work in your favour but equally can go against.

Be sneaky, call the company receptionist and ask them something unrelated.. Call it research. At the end of the call say "oh by the way, I wasn't sure of the attire...", "I was wondering".. etc.. It won't hurt your chances to be a step ahead.

;)

Soldato
Have just had an interview and read through this before I went in. Very handy and used some examples to base my own questions from.

My interview was with 2 people, 1 was running late and the other said that she was glad I wore a suit as it was the first thing the other guy would judge me on (whether wearing one or not). The other was if I had actually looked into the company website and what I knew of them.
Sure enough, thats what happened.
It went very well though.

Always do your research, it really does help.

Associate
Brilliant guide huddy. Ive got an interview next week, last interview i had was about 12 years ago! Obviously its best to try and commit everything to memory but would it be frowned upon yo have note and refer to them when asked any questions?

Associate
Brilliant guide huddy. Ive got an interview next week, last interview i had was about 12 years ago! Obviously its best to try and commit everything to memory but would it be frowned upon yo have note and refer to them when asked any questions?

Absolutely not, take as much in as you need to. I'm about to go for a 2nd interview (1.30), I will be taking a load of handwritten notes which are research on the org and my own skills, key points I want to raise / highlight where I match what they want and also a big pack of examples of my work (paper documents mainly, probably unnecessary but I used them for another 2nd interview I had yesterday). I've never been for an interview where I haven't taken any notes with me! Also shows you're prepared and are taking it seriously. I did use to ask and say "do you mind if I use my notes" (or words to that affect) now I don't bother. Don't forget a copy of your CV either!

Key thing is to not forget that an interview is a 2-way process, you're there as much to see if you like them as they like you. I've been in interviews where I've instantly clashed with the interviewer and known that the place isn't for me.

Back
Top Bottom