Time for a bike and considering the Specialized Allez Sport.

Commissario
OP
Soldato
That looks like more of a hybrid to me which is exactly what I don't want.

Some more very useful comments people, again thank you. I'm really angling towards the Allez Sport now so I'll pop into a local shop for a try-out.

Having a sit/fiddle will tell you all you really need to about if it is the right one for you.

As for essentials;
Pedals if it doesn't come with any.
Bottle and cage.
Rear light (even if you don't plan to ride in the dark pick up a rear light, no need to spend a fortune to get a bright one these days)
Puncture kit - mini pump and/or co2, spare tube and tyre levers.
Saddle bag to keep the above in.
Chain lube
Chain cleaner
General bike cleaner (muc off etc.)
Gt45 or wd40
Track pump
Basic tool kit if you don't have tools already.

That'll get you rolling for long enough to decide if you are keen on cycling or not :)

Associate
2 years after buying my used Allez and thinking I'd buy a different bike if I really used it, Still have it and upgraded groupset and wheels this year, They are great bikes and perfect for what you want at this point, especially at that price.

If you do upgrade Specialized always seem to command a decent used price, so seems a bit win win to me :)

Soldato
I think you're all getting a bit carried away with the groupset as opposed to the whole package itself.

Sora is surprisingly good quality now days, its not the thumb shifters it used to be of old. Borrowing technology from 105 from the past trickled down itself. I mean as entry level basic bike which is what he's after claris is almost certainly more than acceptable!

The Giant Defy and Specialized Allez offer a good all round package. He's not getting them at RRP, so stop taking the RRP into account and pointing out btwins or merlins bikes. They are good value for money for what they are I agree, but build/construction are leaving a lot left to be desired I have found. Money has to be saved somewhere, and in terms of warranty and/or customer after service, its none-existent. Money has to be saved somewhere.

Remember he is planning to use it lightly and in good weather, he's not into sportives or anything yet, and not cycling back and forward to work. Almost any entry level bike would do this job realistically.

I think if you wanted road bike and not adventure/gravel grinder, then the Defy range (rather than the Revolt) is a very credible choice. Giant still have control in house of most of their production processes. Where-as specialized out-source a fair bit, but that doesn't make them worse per se, their contracts are worth a lot of money and they have great control over what is made for them, so it's essentially a very similar outcome.

Having bigged up the Defy, I think in terms of looks the new Allez is pretty good looking :) As i said, you'd do worse to have either, but you're right, head to a bike shop, ride a few bikes, talk to the salesman, let them do what they do and form some of your own personal opinions. At the end of the day, you're spending the money, you're riding the bike, and you need to please you, not the internet :p :D :)

Soldato
At the end of the day, you're spending the money, you're riding the bike, and you need to please you, not the internet :p :D :)

But we will all laugh at you if you spend money on a hybrid (including UT's verenti - it's a good 'city bike' for someone after a commuter, but it is in essence a hybrid) ;)

My main ride is a Defy 1 and I love it. Use it for commuting and leisure. It's lighter and faster than many carbon bikes.

Last edited:
Associate
And to add the obvious....I would say go test ride the few you've shortlisted (Triban is in there I hope :p) and see which feels best to you! It is certainly worth taking the time to do test rides!

Soldato
Hi all,

sorry to dig this thread back up, Feek what bike did you end up with?

I'm also after my first road bike, I'm currently using an old Kona to ride the 4 miles and back to work, I'd be using the new road bike for that a couple of times a week and possibly longer weekend rides. We might be moving offices as well soonish, so my commute might go up to 10-12 miles.

I was also looking at the Specialized Allez but after reading through the comments in this thread, I've started to look around a bit more and I've noticed a few shouts for Giant bikes. What do people think of the Giant Contend 1 and 2 SL bikes?

Back
Top Bottom