Why does almost everybody seem to hate Comic Sans?

Associate
Comic sans is commonly used in primary schools as there was a study claiming it was more legible by children with learning difficulties due to the shape of the the letter a; it was only compared to times new roman.

It is this association with young children and its ubiquity that is the origin of the hatred.

Soldato
OP
None of the letters look like they're on the same level, it hurts my eyes looking at it

If you saw my handwriting you would scratch your eyes out of their sockets and eat them! :p

Comic sans is commonly used in primary schools as there was a study claiming it was more legible by children with learning difficulties due to the shape of the the letter a; it was only compared to times new roman.

Now, THAT is genuinely interesting! (In my personal context)

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Why do you keep comparing it to your handwriting? Apples and oranges. Your entire perspective on this is wrong. Its wrong due to either inexperience with the computing age, or a naive desire to hold on to the past. Comic sans is not a replacement for hand-writing. It's for children or community billboard ads.

You cannot retain the personal touch of a hand-written letter in computer font. It's impossible. And by using the most overused and easily recognisable font in the world you are not only telling the recipient that they are not worth the time it takes for you to pick a lesser used font, but that you possess the creative flair of a depressed, colour blind tax accountant.

Soldato
If Comic Sans were a foodstuff it would be a Pot Noodle.

Terrible looking font, over-used, often inappropriately used, tacky and just plain don't go there.

Yes Comic Sans is informal, but there's heaps of much better informal fonts that don't look like a 5 year old created your document. Have a look at Google Fonts.

Soldato
Interesting site. What happens when you press the add button on those fonts? Adds them to C:\Windows\Fonts? In the past though, I find that I had to use a 3rd party program to install downloaded fonts E.g. The Font Thing. Worked with Windows 95 all those years ago, but works fine with 64-bit Windows 8 as well.

They're all Open Source fonts, so you can download any of them locally and install them into your Windows fonts folder via your preferred method - either a font manager of some sort, or just right click and choose Install.

More info in the FAQ here.

Soldato
Because its cartoony, overused and unprofessional looking?

What i dont get is people who insist on times new roman, seriously its horrific to try and read especially when its small, and tbh unless your going for a 1920's theme it has no place in the computer era.

I like Times New Roman personally but, being a Serif font, it is generally best suited to print.

Back
Top Bottom