New Bike Time - KTM 1290 Superduke R Special Edition

Soldato
I've been having some issues with my CB1000R over the last year or so, it doesn't start reliably/consistently. I've had three different mechanics look at it at varying levels and they couldn't figure it out, so I decided, much as I love it, it's to move on.

I test rode a Ducati 899 a month or so back, but wasn't a fan of the riding position and it actually felt slower than my CB1R, definitely missed the torque. Even though it didn't feel as powerful, somehow it seemed to aggressive in trying to put the power down and jerked me back and forth all the time.

Then I struck on the idea of the Superduke. I remember the ads from a few years back at launch making me drool, so I booked in for a test ride, which I did yesterday. LOVED IT!

So much power and torque, yet so smooth and comfortable. The only negative, the suspension seemed rather stiff. I like it's got different modes for power, traction control too. I could feel (even on 'street' setting and I think I was in 3rd) the front wheel wanting to skip up, but the electronics holding the power to keep it on the road.

Over the weekend a friend showed me a shop up in Scotland doing the Special Edition for £3,000 off the list price! Amazing! But I wanted to trade in my bike, so not as simple.

It turns out all KTM dealers will do this deal, they just started at the top of the country and worked down, so the dealer with whom I test rode are getting there's within the next couple of days. They made a good offer on my bike (issues declared) so I dropped the deposit yesterday.

1290-super-duke-r-special-2.jpg
Please keep images to below 1280px wide or post in
tags like I've done for you above - Rilot
Picking out a few extras to have fitted like heated grips and SatNav mount and hopefully picking up next week! Can't wait!

I have some video to post, once I've done a little editing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Aww man I'm so jealous! For the past year I've been toying with the idea of getting one. I really need to book a test ride.

Do you plan on changing the exhaust or does the special edition already come with the akra?

We need pics and vids as soon as you get it!!!

So lucky. :)

Caporegime
I remember years ago having a discussion with someone who said that KTM would go under before they started making road bikes.

And look now, that's one seriously sexy machine. Congratulations :)

Soldato
OP
It's basically had the powerparts catalogue thrown at it, plus the paintwork :D

And for £2,000 less than the standard version! (At the moment anyway)

Thanks for the comments all. I'm no test rider, or bike reviewer, but I like to throw together little video's of bikes I ride, so here's one from yesterdays test -

I'm sure I can do another vid when I get the SE :)

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I'm sure its a great bike, the figures on paper look crazy. But I just couldn't get over the looks of that thing, just like the 990 it looks like an 1 eyed orc...

KTM's aren't exactly as reliable as the Jap bikes, my duke and my mates 990 has had electrical problems. With that budget did you consider a Tuono V4 Factory?

Soldato
I'm sure its a great bike, the figures on paper look crazy. But I just couldn't get over the looks of that thing, just like the 990 it looks like an 1 eyed orc...

KTM's aren't exactly as reliable as the Jap bikes, my duke and my mates 990 has had electrical problems. With that budget did you consider a Tuono V4 Factory?

You could say the same about the Aprilia. Italian bikes aren't exactly known for reliability either :p A short google provides plenty of electrical problems the Tuono suffers from.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
You could say the same about the Aprilia. Italian bikes aren't exactly known for reliability either :p A short google provides plenty of electrical problems the Tuono suffers from.

I know, but than I would prefer a sexy looking and MotoGP sounding bike if I didn't care about their reliability. No one is going to use a superduke or a tuono as a all year round commuter unless they've too much money... :rolleyes:

Associate
@IC3 The V4 Tuono is no more reliable/unreliable than the SD1290R. Aprilia have their share of headaches too, just take a look on their forums, you wouldn't buy one going by some of the stories on there.

Excellent choice of bike Andy, as much as it is a 'beast' I rode mine all through winter on Dunlop SportSmart 2s and the bike behaved itself on the salty slippy roads.

With regards to suspension, the adjustments are a doddle and they have the settings under the seat for different types of riding. Softest setting for wet/winter road riding really helps. Although there is no preload adjustment on the front forks.

The engine modes are also excellent and make a difference in particular Rain mode which drops the power to around 95bhp with a linear torque curve.

I personally love the look of them. Very aggressive styling.

Just a small tip, don't be tempted to install an Austin Racing exhaust, if you want to stay friends with the neighbours... :D (Although dropping the silencer and cat saves 7kgs!!)

Back
Top Bottom