Shotguns: Show us your clay / game / zombie bashers

Associate
OP
Is the top lever now straight?

Nope, not suposed to be straight until it needs servicing! That model "Invictus" has a very clever way to prevent/compensate for wear too. The action has a system to compensate for metal wear, so you can easily re-tighten it without having to try to 'add metal' or change parts.
Hopefully that won't be needed for a long while!

Associate
I find the design and engraving on shotguns absolutely amazing.

I really should take up clay pigeon shooting, The Mid Wales Shooting Centre is only a couple of mile from my house, but i just dont have the spare time or money. Love visiting the place even if its just to look around the shop at all the guns.

Looking at the price tags hanging off the krieghoff's is scary stuff.

Associate
OP
I find the design and engraving on shotguns absolutely amazing.

I really should take up clay pigeon shooting, The Mid Wales Shooting Centre is only a couple of mile from my house, but i just dont have the spare time or money. Love visiting the place even if its just to look around the shop at all the guns.

Looking at the price tags hanging off the krieghoff's is scary stuff.

I shoot there most of the time; that's where I was this week-end! Do give it a go, they have nice instructors too, and the whole family is super friendly...

Associate
Here's two of them:

Krieghoff K-80 Supersport 32"
Perazzi MX2000S 32" (Teagued)

vgodxl.jpg

33578gl.jpg

Associate
OP
@Fett, POSH alert :) -- I think my next one will likely be a K80; I played with one at Mid Wales and they feel just right. Apart from the price tag and the fact that I feel my shooting still need to go up a notch.

Nothing worst that having a guy shooting **** with a 10k gun (I've seen a few already! ) ;)

The Guerini will do for a year or perhaps two, as I'm still 'growing up'!

Associate
I don't think there's really anything posh about clay shooting or a dedicated clay gun. Yes, it's an expensive sport but there's a huge cross section of people who shoot regularly.

That applies from C class all the way up to AAA and Britain's most successful sportsman ever, Digweed. It's part of the appeal for me.

If you can afford a K-80 (or any other gun you desire), buy it now. It's rare that you can continue form with a new gun so the sooner you get one, the sooner you'll be back to where you should be. Of all the competition guns, a K-80 is going to be the steepest learning curve, simply because of the weight and a different sight picture with the mid-rib. Unless you are built like Husthwaite, you are going to have to learn how to control that swing.

I wouldn't worry about "all the gear and no idea". Everybody has to start somewhere and really, nobody cares...they are too worried and focused on their shooting, not yours.

Associate
OP
@Fett, I'm pretty sure a K80 will fit me; the CG is rather big, and the B25 trap I also have is the same sort of 'big gun' -- also, I tried a K80 a Mid Wales and they come to the shoulder pretty nicely.
However I'm not really ready to shell out /that/ amount, I try to give myself 'targets' instead of just buying stuff. The CG was my 'prize' for my first 25 straight at skeet, and I think I could say perhaps the K80 would be for my first 90 on a CPSA course (I did 81 in training yesterday, so it might be quicker than I thought!)

On another topic:
In the series "when it start to rain in pours" I ended up with /another/ shotgun handout from the family. This one is pretty, but pretty useless to me. I'll see if I can get it nitro proofed; it's likely as the barrels are perfect on the inside, I don't think it seen a lot of shooting...
Jic9dl2.jpg
NLQHwtE.jpg
kam0A37.jpg

Associate
@Fett, I'm pretty sure a K80 will fit me; the CG is rather big, and the B25 trap I also have is the same sort of 'big gun' -- also, I tried a K80 a Mid Wales and they come to the shoulder pretty nicely.
However I'm not really ready to shell out /that/ amount, I try to give myself 'targets' instead of just buying stuff. The CG was my 'prize' for my first 25 straight at skeet, and I think I could say perhaps the K80 would be for my first 90 on a CPSA course (I did 81 in training yesterday, so it might be quicker than I thought!)

When you say "big" I assume you mean stock measurements and barrel length. The difference with a Krieghoff is not really in the dimensions but in the weight, particularly the barrels. Your Guerini is probably under 8 and half pounds and the B25 will be seven pounds and a bit.
My K80 (as most of them) is over 9 pounds and the barrels are 1620 grams. Once you start the swing you have a lot more mass to control. Good luck on your first registered 90.

Associate
OP
That under lever hammer gun is stunning, just shoot it on black powder, it'd be interested if you want to sell it.

Thanks -- I've been looking for black powder loads to do just that, however, it seems it's unnobtainium these days. People who shoot black powder reload them it seems, and I'm not really willing to take that on, get a BP license etc just to have a bit of fun a couple times a year! :/

If anyone knows a source, feel free to ping me!

That gun is indeed very nice; and I don't think it has been shooting a lot, as the bores are completely pristine... it was stored with felt 'tubes' in the barrels, seems to help with long term storage!

Associate
OP
Few more pics of my 1890 sidelocks. I practiced a bit with it, it's heaps of fun! Shooting 21g loads with it on clays I'm really digging it; you need to actually grab the barrels and shift the gun around, there's no 'inertia' as with the clay-buster.
Also, the recoil when shooting the second trigger is bad for the trigger finger! (bumps into the first trigger, bruising) but heck, it's satisfying!

_1010326.jpg

_1010320.jpg

_1010316.jpg

Associate
I don't think there's really anything posh about clay shooting or a dedicated clay gun. Yes, it's an expensive sport but there's a huge cross section of people who shoot regularly.

That applies from C class all the way up to AAA and Britain's most successful sportsman ever, Digweed. It's part of the appeal for me.

If you can afford a K-80 (or any other gun you desire), buy it now. It's rare that you can continue form with a new gun so the sooner you get one, the sooner you'll be back to where you should be. Of all the competition guns, a K-80 is going to be the steepest learning curve, simply because of the weight and a different sight picture with the mid-rib. Unless you are built like Husthwaite, you are going to have to learn how to control that swing.

I wouldn't worry about "all the gear and no idea". Everybody has to start somewhere and really, nobody cares...they are too worried and focused on their shooting, not yours.

Had a lesson with Ben Hustlethwaite as I have changed to sporting from skeet. He makes the k80 look like a toy lol

One

One

Soldato
I've been shooting quite a bit the past few months. Just became a member of the place and have put in for my license.

I do sporting clays on report pairs. It's a lot of fun, although it can be a bit hit and miss, on some traps I'll get 10/10, other's I'll struggle to get half (often with one of the pair completely missed).

It's also a bit hit and miss because my mate has a whole host of shotguns which I've obviously wanted to try out so I can form an opinion on the type of shotgun I'll eventually want to buy. I've therefore not had much consistency. The choke size also seems to make a huge difference.

It'd be boring if I didn't think I could get better though.

Tea Drinker
Don
I wouldn't worry about chokes at all to start with, If you're on the clay properly it won't matter about the choke. I shoot teague skeet / skeet and can be up in the top five with a few of the others who sit there changing chokes and wearing yellow glasses and silly taped on bits on their stocks :p

You are spot on though in regard to gun, you need to get used to a gun but fit is far more important and you can get a feel of this in a shop, I just can't get on with a slight gun like a silver pigeon however my MK38 fits like a glove.

Associate
OP
I agree on the chokes; I shoot mostly full/full at pretty much whatever. My logic is that if I missed because of the choke, I didn't deserve it anyway ;)
Last week-end I downgraded to half/half since I was shooting steel, but mostly doesn't seem to make a lot of difference -- if you're on it, you're on it!

For gun fit it does take time; I honestly believed my B25 fitted me, but after shooting my CG for a few thousands carts I realise now that it didn't fit me /perfectly/ well, but it took me a while to narrow it down.

As far as missing/hitting clays, it's fairly normal to start with. For me the process went like:
+ Good 'natural' talent, so i was breaking a lot of stuff, instinctively; very little consistency.
+ After a while, my eye/capacity improved enough that I was 'slowing' the bird down and my shooting actually went /downhill/ for quite a while...
+ At that point I had/have to learn the /proper/ shooting methods, and practice them. That is pull away, pull thru, diminishing lead and maintained lead. Oh and the 'churchill' method too.

I'm still working on the last bits. But I'm now considerably better than I was, and I know *why* I miss when I do.

I think spending quite a good time on the skeet range is a very good idea tho, shoot all stations, walk 3 meters forward and shoot all stations, etc -- basically learn to shoot without hesitating/making sure. That has helped me a lot.

Anyway, it's great fun, enjoy yourself, and post updates ;)

Associate
OP
Big Day tomorrow. I bought some black powder 28g 6's cartriges (paper case!) and I'm going to shoot that pretty hammer gun! Very excited about it, as it's very likely the first time it'd been shoot in perhaps a 100 years.
Ultimately the cartridges were expensive (29 quid a BOX!) but then again... it's not like I'm going to shoot a lot of it, it'll be 'special occasion' only :)

Associate
OP
Well in the end the weather had turned south and I didn't take it out of it's box. But yes, it's been inspected and it looks pretty sound, so I'm not worried about it. it hasn't been lapped, and the barrels are pretty thick.

Been busy with 'the season' so far; how about you guys? Yesterday I was in kent shooting ducks/geese, despite the fog. Small group of 4 guns; we did bag a few so it was OK, but the keeper re-invited us for a (hopefully) better day in January.

This saturday it's pigeons + ducks + walk up pheasants. Lets hope the weather is clear.

Back
Top Bottom