****The Official Mountain Bicycle Gallery Thread****

Man of Honour
FB_IMG_1468264446216_zpsnhpr2itt.jpg

bikeresize.jpg%20_zpsi8ky56fb.jpg

Soldato
The GF (now wife) told me I had to get a bike so we could go on bike rides together, just get one from Halfords for £150 she says, it doesn't have to be pricey.

I used to love MTB's when I was younger about 15 years back & had a decent one so I wasn't going to get a £150 steel one.

I bought a used GT Avalanche 3.0 on e-Bay for £80 which had a knackered SR Suntour XCM fork on it, a buckled front wheel, & knackered tyres.

Turned out not to be so cheap, first up I took the wheels off my old bike which were Mavic D521's with Deore hubs & swapped the rear hub to a newer model as the bike had a rear disc brake but no front. At the same time I replaced the shifters & cassette for a 9 speed set as it was 8 speed but one of the shifters had been swapped for an ancient lever style shift and stuck new tyres on it.

I also binned the XCM fork and Tektro V-Brake up front and fitted 1998 Rock Shox Judy XC Long Travel off my old bike with a Deore V-Brake of the same vintage, both items were a ton better.

That got it rideable until I got the itch to upgrade it a bit more so I went & bought another front hub and a load of spokes, an SLX Disc brake (was going to go XT but couldn't justify cost) a new lower headset, a Manitou Minute Comp fork, a deore crankset, bottom bracket (inner ring on the fitted suntour was sucking the new chain) and new pedals as one was knocking.

Soldato
Whinlatter north loop?
That view looks familiar, i'm sure I remember being horrendously hungover looking at that... wishing my life was over trying to climb up that first proper climb with the steep bank to the right, sent my head spinning!

Back
Top Bottom