Spec a first PC for my son

Associate
So my build is done and went well, so now my son (8 year old) is looking for a build.

He will need everything inc mouse, keyboard, heads set, monitor (speakers if it doesn't have them).

Games he currently plays are rocket league, mine craft, robo blox.

He plays games on his PlayStation like FIFA etc so would be good if the monitor had 2 inputs so he can use for both. I would say 1080p 24" would be enough.

Looking for best bang for buck really. Not sure if £600 all in is too low?

Oh I have a windows key already.

Associate
Nice setup Lemin. What about an amd a10-7860K without a dedicated GPU. It should be good enough for the games he is playing atm but if/when he decides to play more demanding games, the 460 in Lemin's build should be much faster.

Associate

Build this, but swap the CPU for an i5 4460. You can find them cheap now and it is so much better to have a quad core. He'll be able to play pretty much everything. It'll only be over budget by 80 pounds or so.

I had a 3258 and overclocked it is a very decent CPU but a lot of games these days won't even run unless they see 4 available threads.

Associate
That'll do you a lot of good when your game won't even launch because it only sees two threads, Lemin.

I was about to say- dual core is a bit risky as games may not start. Maybe switch to a Skylake motherboard and get a i3 6100 for 4 threads. What I have linked below is an extra £39 but well worth doing I believe.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £148.99
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
A lot of games these days won't even run unless they see 4 available threads.

Would be nice to see a list of actual games that will not run on a dual core, not got any games myself so far that have failed to play on two cores. I have a G3258 myself, but no idea what games to avoid on that build.

Regarding some of the above specified components, you could argue it's overspecced for an 8 yr old, while underspecced in key areas. The 60gb SSD should be avoided at all costs, put a better 120gb in there. Kids like bling, that case is appaling looking, get him an NZXT S340 and add an RGB kit for the lad. I think if you want to play serious games, then by all means, but stretch for a 1060 and be done.

There is an AMD card in there, yet no Freesync monitor considered? Does he have a TV in his room, you can save money by using that, my lads prefer their 32" 1080 Viera to a PC monitor. They can game and enjoy netflix etc that way.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £621.84
(includes shipping: £0.00)

By the way, many kids will never see the potential of such a system, the majority would not notice a difference if it was an old LGA775 and 1gb GPU from 5 or 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Associate
Ok great! I'm happy to stretch the budget £100 or so if it would make a big difference. So possibly upgrade to i3 would be a way to go. Isn't that 2 core as well

It is, but it has hyperthreading so there are 4 threads. I believe that games requiring 4 threads to run will accept that, as it were. Far Cry 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, GTA 5, and Star Wars Battlefront are ones I know of - obviously your son is a bit young for some of these. Forza Horizon 3 is also unplayable on a dual core from what I have read - severe stuttering though it does actually launch.

The dual core will probably be okay for a little while but you could easily find that a brand new game just doesn't support any fewer than 4 threads.

Back
Top Bottom