New Bike Time - KTM 1290 Superduke R Special Edition

Soldato
Kriega does GREAT gear, I use their R20 backpack and the hydro pack. I prefer dedicated fixed luggage designed for the bike though. I have SW-Motech soft panniers on the S1000R and they are excellent.

dsb

dsb

Associate
I'm a KTM fanboy and love the super duke, seen the special a few times and its stunning, the Aprilia others something else and is more track focused, horses for courses.

Man of Honour
I'm a KTM fanboy and love the super duke, seen the special a few times and its stunning, the Aprilia others something else and is more track focused, horses for courses.

The older Tuono V4R I agree was not great on the road, but the extra midrange torque on the 1100 makes an enormous difference to low speed riding.

Soldato
OP
So I pick the bike up tomorrow. I've had them put on heated grips and a SatNav mount. Over the weekend I've been stressing that the mount will stick out and look silly... so I called today and the guy sent me over a couple of picks (I really recommend these guys, very helpful - The KTM Centre, Hemel)

FullSizeRender_zpsl1wyun6x.jpg

FullSizeRender%201_zpsckbdz4gq.jpg

Now I realise almost everyone will say 'yep, looks silly', but I'm trying to balance practicality (I'm really bad at directions without a SatNav) and not ruining the look of a gorgeous bike.

Obviously tomorrow I can get some better pictures of the look of the whole bike but, what do you think?

Associate
I had mine mounted off the riser clamp using a RAM mount adapter kept it low profile and out of the way. I personally don't like where they've mounted the TomTom, it does encroach on the looks of the front of the bike. But horses for courses and all that! :)

2016_03_17_16_40_32.jpg

Soldato
OP
Yeah, that's how I had it on my CB1R. There's a very good chance I'll have them do that for me when I go back for my 500 mile service. We'll see. Certainly it will be more visible where they've put it, not sure I need it that visible though tbh.

Associate
I have my tomtom right out of sight. I put a sena 10u in my helmet, synced it via blutooth to the tomtom, and find it much nicer to just use the audio instructions. When visable, I find I keep glancing at the screen to see how severe the corners are, rather than reading the road.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah, I do that quite a lot with SatNav in the car (almost always have Google Maps on, for traffic as well as checking bend severity) which makes me think I could use it more on the bike in a decent visible position.

Man of Honour
So are you taking it to Switzerland next year? :p

Yeah, I do that quite a lot with SatNav in the car (almost always have Google Maps on, for traffic as well as checking bend severity) which makes me think I could use it more on the bike in a decent visible position.
It's incredibly dangerous to use a SatNav like that. That's why misterjingo said he makes it so it's less visible and he won't try to kill himself by over relying on it for bend information.

Soldato
I'd want that a bit lower myself, it's ok up there if there's a screen to tuck it behind.

As for using the satnav to know what is up ahead, I see no issue at all with this - I do it regularly - I did it on my Europe trip in Belgium in the ****ing rain, glancing every so often to see what bends were coming up. Last thing you want is to be surprised by a hairpin bend in heavy rain on roads you don't know...

Obviously you don't use it for the bend you're currently on, just to see the road ahead. It's also handy when you're stuck behind a slow car, if you can see there's a straight not far away you know you don't need to make a risky overtake to get past, and can wait.

Would you prefer to not know there's a 180 degree hairpin bend just over that blind crest, with no signs to tell you (as is normal in Europe)? The more information, the better - unless you rely on it of course, which is bad.

Soldato
Now I realise almost everyone will say 'yep, looks silly', but I'm trying to balance practicality (I'm really bad at directions without a SatNav) and not ruining the look of a gorgeous bike.

Obviously tomorrow I can get some better pictures of the look of the whole bike but, what do you think?

The perfect balance of practicality and looks is this:

RAM Tough Claw, clamps on to your handlebars: http://www.rammount.com/products/tough-claw

If your satnav has a 1" ball, that'll work fine. I guess the only thing you need to figure out is how to route the power while the satnav isn't on the bike. With mine, I have a USB port under my battery cover, which is at the front of my tank, so it's easy for me. Might be awkward if the battery is at the back of the bike.

I have my tomtom right out of sight. I put a sena 10u in my helmet, synced it via blutooth to the tomtom, and find it much nicer to just use the audio instructions. When visable, I find I keep glancing at the screen to see how severe the corners are, rather than reading the road.

Yup, this also works nicely. You could get Google Maps, Waze or TomTom on your phone. TomTom may be best if it's stuck in your pocket with little signal. Google Maps and Waze both generally need data connections for routing.

I even used to just have earphones running from my phone in my pocket before I had my Sena.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It takes less time than glancing at your speedometer. I don't see it being dangerous when done on a straight bit of road out in the countryside?

Never ever use a satnav to judge the upcoming corners.

As for using the satnav to know what is up ahead, I see no issue at all with this - I do it regularly - I did it on my Europe trip in Belgium

Please be careful using it here. There are a few points I know of where the GPS gets confused and says the hairpin up ahead is a left not a right.

Soldato
Never ever use a satnav to judge the upcoming corners.

Please be careful using it here. There are a few points I know of where the GPS gets confused and says the hairpin up ahead is a left not a right.

Well that's rubbish! :D But at least you'd know there's a hairpin ahead, which ever direction it goes.

There's judging corners (i.e. thinking: that's not very tight, can go fast through that!) based on GPS, and using it to know roughly what's coming up (i.e. there's a tight right hand bend after that blind left hand bend) - which are 2 very different things. The former, agreed - dangerous and silly, you should be reading the road to know how fast you can go, not relying on vague GPS indications - the latter: safer than riding a road you don't know 'blind', the more information you have when riding a road (hidden junctions/hidden bends/etc. etc.) the safer you'll be.

Man of Honour
It's no surprise when you have spaghetti for road maps and GPS being affected by the mountains and valleys.

Edit: I've seen far to many accidents caused by people's overconfidence by using GPS to see the road conditions ahead.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom