technicolor tg589vac owners thread

Hitman
Soldato
We got supplied the TG589 from our ISP who runs on the IFNL network but the WiFi was pretty terrible in our new build so bought the Netgear D7800 when it was on offer the other day. The placement of it probably didn't help (we had no say in it, we have FTTP to under the stairs which is also where the main electric box is), but the D7800 copes a lot better.

Still not fantastic mind (current setup is D7800 5GHz > EX7300 5GHz > Ethernet to PC) so really going to have to run a Cat6 outside and up into the office.

Associate
Anyways, after a lot of confusion we are now being sent the router they thought we had been supplied with, so we should soon be receiving a Technicolor tg799 which also apparently has the guest Wi-Fi feature.

I have just been sent the TG589VAC for SSE's FTTC but it seems pre set for aDSL where it should be vDSL if I understand it correctly. I also need a guest network. Does this mean that I may also need the TG799?

What hoops did you have to jump through to get the TG799?

Soldato
OP
I have just been sent the TG589VAC for SSE's FTTC but it seems pre set for aDSL where it should be vDSL if I understand it correctly. I also need a guest network. Does this mean that I may also need the TG799?

What hoops did you have to jump through to get the TG799?

We never received the tg799 in the end and after a different call it seemed we were advised incorrectly. Apparently at the time they were testing a tg799 as to whether it could handle both modem and router functions effectively to be approved as an all in one solution by OpenReach. The trouble with these thompson routers is that there are several models with the same number but different letters appended to it. It wasn't clear whether it was the single band version of the 799 that their customer service staff were referring to or the newer 799VAC. The older single band 799 was used by SSE but I think it was superceeded by the 589VAC. Might be worth calling them and stressing how important the guest wifi is to you and whether they now have the 799VAC available.

Associate
I must admit that the customer services so far have been spot on.

I'll stress the importance of the guest network and see if they have the 799VAC. I dont really want to use my old router just to throw out a guest network as it seems daft running hardware just for that.

Soldato
OP
What I found with my google foo is that you can buy this tg589vac router in its original state without a specific ISP firmware. The specs for the router indicate that you can have up to 4 virtual SSID's per interface, so 4 on 2.4GHz and 4 on 5GHz.

I found a guide for a different thomson router on how to enable these via telnet but I can't telnet to mine. In Windows you have to enable the telnet client throught the add/remove programs route but all I get when trying to telnet to my router IP is 'Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed'.

I've tried turning my firewall off but I suspect that because I changed the IP address for mine from the default 192.xx.xx.xx one that I think it had originally and it's DHCP pool, that the config settings are still geared towards the defaults and won't allow telnet from my new IP address settings.

You can export the config which I suspect would shed more light on what values are set but it exports .bin file which is either compressed or encrypted as it isn't possible to read in a text editor. They may also have changed the port that the telnet server listens on so without knowing what that would be is proving fruitless trying port 23.

So what we need is either, someone who has purchased one of these routers from a retail channel which ought to have an OEM firmware, or someone who hasn't altered the default static IP and DHCP pool to test whether they can telnet into it.

Last edited:
Associate
My device is I believe OEM, the description is:

MediaAccess TG589vac/Software Version 15.2/Firmware Version 15.32.6210-1301005/Hardware Version VANT-E

I cannot Telnet into it (connection refused) but I have also changed its address.

Associate
I cannot make external USB drives work on my TG589vac. I have tried hard drives and memory sticks, in all sorts of sizes, formatted FAT32/NTFS/EXT4.

The drives are all shown in the content sharing menu, but nothing can be read from or written to them.

Potential clue: trying to switch SAMBA or DNLA off, or trying to change share names, results in the error "Some parameters failed validation" and nothing changes.

Any help gratefully received.

Associate
Hi, do too also have this router from SSE but I am not able to log into the router so I can change the DNS. I lost the plastic thing that came with the router. I know it is admin and then I've been trying any thing from the router but nothing is working. Anyone who may know a fix ?

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Hi, do too also have this router from SSE but I am not able to log into the router so I can change the DNS. I lost the plastic thing that came with the router. I know it is admin and then I've been trying any thing from the router but nothing is working. Anyone who may know a fix ?

Thanks

I think the default for the password is also 'admin'.

Associate
TG589vac and security certificates

I have one of these supplied by Fleur Telecom when I upgraded to superfast broadband, but have a strange problem:
Environment: LAN, with machine "Bach" with Owncloud, machine "handel"; both with Mageia Version 5, 64 bit, using Firefox 49.0.1
I have a subscription to ggemmill.ddns.net so that I can use noip2 to compensate for a dynamic IP address to an installation of
Owncloud (http://share.gemmill.name/owncloud) This has worked in the past - before installation of this fibre modem/router.
When I try to contact ggemmill.ddns.net from machine handel, (http://share.ggemmill.name/owncloud)
Firefox says the connection is insecure: "ggemmill.ddns.net uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed. The certificate is not valid for the name ggemmill.ddns.net"
Further examination reveals the certificate being examined is from Technicolor, Edegem, BE with serial number: 00:DF:70:72:E5:5A:3D:8B:35
I cannot understand why I get this message because:
1. I created a self-signed certificate for ggemmill.ddns.net, referenced in Apache's httpd.conf virtual host
2. I can find no certificate containing an organisation name (O) Technocolor in either machine.
I tried the same connections from Windows 7/Internet explorer but I can't extract any certificate details when the connection fails.
Members of my local Linux User Group report the same problem with Vivaldi, Chrome and Chromium.
The only Technicolor product installed is this modem/router.
Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of this problem?

Soldato
Anyone know how to forward a range of ports on this? Don't fancy adding in 150 seperate rules lol

Thanks,

G

Associate
Good afternoon,

With Version 15.2 and below it is not possible to port forward a range. If you have version 16.1 and higher you can use a colon to separate the start and end port numbers (e.g. 5060:5070).

I'm not usually on this forum, however, if anyone has any questions about this router please feel welcome to contact me or visit my website http://www.nickdj.co.uk. I'm not an expert, however, I've had quite a lot of experience with this router and have created a few guides to help get around limitations. I'm not an engineer so my knowledge/experience is limited. :/

If I'm able to answer your question I'll create a guide and add it to the website.

I've tried to recreate the web interface for the Technicolor routers. It's very crude but it shows the basic options. :)

Kindest regards,

NickDJ

Soldato
OP
Hi Nick, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing the manuals on your website.

My biggest gripe with this 589VAC modem/router has been the gimped firmware, not giving access to guest wifi even though it's in the router specs and not being able to telnet into it.

I see from your website that firmware version 16.1 has the addition of guest wifi but do you know whether the newer firmware works on a 589VAC or does it need to be a 589VAC_v2?

Is the newer firmware available somewhere online?

Kind regards
thenewoc

Associate
My biggest gripe with this 589VAC modem/router has been the gimped firmware, not giving access to guest wifi even though it's in the router specs and not being able to telnet into it.

I see from your website that firmware version 16.1 has the addition of guest wifi but do you know whether the newer firmware works on a 589VAC or does it need to be a 589VAC_v2?

Is the newer firmware available somewhere online?

Yes I agree. Firmware versions 15.* are lacking some important features and the new version found on the Technicolor TG589vac_2 is much better. The firmware is actually developed by the supplier rather than Technicolor themselves so any updates would come from the supplier. Unfortunately they don't tend to make firmware available to download.

It' my understanding that the TG589vac will not be getting a firmware update as this will be released on the new TG589vac_v2. However, on the TG588 and TG389 the supplier my employer uses is planning to release an update which will be rolled out with new devices. It's therefore possible other suppliers may release an updated firmware for the TG589vac.

If I manage to get my hands on an updated firmware, and have permission, I'll make it available.

Kindest regards,

NickDJ

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the update.

I've spoken to SSE web chat and they confirmed the current router they provide is TG589v2 so hopefully that means TG589VAC_v2 and not a single band version, will have to follow up with a call.

kind regards
thenewoc

Associate
Thanks for the update.

I've spoken to SSE web chat and they confirmed the current router they provide is TG589v2 so hopefully that means TG589VAC_v2 and not a single band version, will have to follow up with a call.

The two routers look completely different so should be easy to identify. The TG589vac is white with a black top. The TG589vac_v2 is a little uglier in that it's all white. It should therefore come with Firmware 16.* as per the sample I have here?

NickDJ

Associate
Hi NickDj, thenewoc,
I have the TG589vac white/black top from SSE, it's been solid as a rock now for 6 months. The download speed is 74.90 Mb/s upload 18.91 Mb/s ping14ms and no problems with wi-fi anywhere in the house or outside. It also has a fixed IP address, I never asked for it and it's a first for me, I have been with TalkTalk, Tiscali, etc but always random ip's addy's.
What I would like to know, can you setup your own VPN using this router?

Software Version 15.2 firmware 15.32.6210-1301005

Soldato
OP
Hi riggie,

Not on the router itself but it does support port forwarding so you can roll your own vpn server using something like a Rasperry Pi. I have not done this yet myself but from what I've read so far L2TP/IPSec seemed a better option than OpenVPN due to speed and device compatibility. There may be other more suitable alternatives to the Pi depending on how much demand you intend to place upon it but in essence you want a good price to performance ratio device that can run a Linux distro. The Pi is a popular choice due to its price, community support and low energy consumption compared to a PC.

Here's what I think is a good starting point...

https://ritazh.com/setup-your-own-l2tp-vpn-server-with-raspberry-pi-170d3d4df04c#.layw8hu23

Back
Top Bottom