** NHL & Ice Hockey Discussion **

Associate
STOP BLOODY GROWING!!!!!!!!

Alexs_zpsqf01lb8g.jpg

It's an expensive sport, hockey. Even more so when you have to support a goalie.

Associate
He's going to be 13 in a couple of months. Spent pretty much 6 years as a goalie. Spent 6 months as a player, then got offered goalie over the summer. Took it up and hasn't looked back.

We're in Alberta now, but he started at 6 in Chelmsford. Fantastic coaching there with the Cheiftans goalie Ben coming out to run a goalie session every fortnight. Much better than small town Ontario and the last season we spent here.

If he moves up into AAA/AA then the coaching quality should go up, but unfortunately politics comes into it and players are not always picked on ability first.

Associate
He is a big 'un. 5'6" ish

He has the odd "I want to be a player moment" but unfortunately he's not a great skater in normal skates. Has a decent shot though and always wants to play forward. we got that out of his system this year by putting him out in box lacrosse.

They also start checking here at 13. He wouldn't be able to keep his head up and would get flattened. He's already used to the argy-bargy in front of the net. Might get him out as a ref though to help his skating and appreciate the rules if he has to play in house (city) league.

Just had day 2 at goalie camp. Got the hard hat for Hardest working. :D
2016-08-23%2017.04.00_zpswldhf8ff.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Time to get the Team Canada top out and make an attempt at getting my Icelandic colleagues over for beers/food to watch the games.

I think some bars actually play them too so I'm hoping to catch some there if that's true.

I've been looking forward to it a lot and it's a nice gap bridge before the season kicks off again.

Unfortunately the final is on 1st October which sucks for me. I'm attending Vision festival in Bern that night to see Infected Mushroom so I'm going to miss the game. I'll have to try really hard to avoid spoilers and somehow manage to watch it in the morning without seeing the score. Nightmare!!!

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Unfortunately the final is on 1st October which sucks for me. I'm attending Vision festival in Bern that night to see Infected Mushroom so I'm going to miss the game. I'll have to try really hard to avoid spoilers and somehow manage to watch it in the morning without seeing the score. Nightmare!!!

Well final is best of three with the third game potentially on the first, but it might not even get that far. First final game Tuesday night, second game Thursday night, third if needed Saturday night.

Associate
bwa ha ha ha ha ha hah ahaahahhahaaaaaaa.............Team USA!!

That is all.

:D

aaaaaaannnnnnnnnddddddddd

the Maple Leafs.

4 goals for Auston Matthews on his debut, a new NHL record and they still manage to lose 5-4 to the Sens. :D :D

Now I've moved west, it appears I chose the wrong one to follow as the Oilers beat the Flames 7-4.

Soldato
First week of the season has already seen some fun action. There are some great young players/teams in the league who have explosive offence without any clue how to defend which makes for fun viewing as a neutral.

Thankfully the Blues have been solid so far. Their schedule gives me hope for an 8-0-0 start if they can keep playing well. The next 5 games are against inferior teams so if they play well they should win them.

They completely controlled the Hawks in the opener which is something I always love to see. Only poor goaltending made games 1 and 2 closer than they really were.
Then they played a very good NYR and were outplayed in a lot of it but fought out a win.

I'm so pleased they went with the younger guys and got rid of people like Backes and Ott. Many labelled them as weaker this year but I disagree. I think they are a better team.

Soldato
Well....it's almost time again. Playoffs are upon us. Naturally I'll never get the bracket prediction right because I always have to pick the Blues to win but it's got to happen 1 year

A lot of really top teams going into these playoffs though.
I genuinely think about 10 or the teams have a legit chance this time. Normally it's only 3 or 4 IMO
I can see another Eastern trophy though and would not want to bet against Penguins defending the cup and completing one of sports toughest feats

Soldato
Most games will be on blackout (I think....they used to be when I was in the UK) but if you are not affected by that then $3.99 for the playoffs is a good deal. More than worth it

Pretty sure last year (after paying $99 for the year) the only games on blackout were the ones on premier sport - apart from the final.

There are ways and means around that though.

It is auto renew (unless you email them) so I wonder if it will auto renew at $3.99. :p

The quality is amazing - better than I remember it being a few years ago, I didn't renew this year because i knew I wouldn't have much time to watch them but now its the play offs I will make time! HERE WE GO PITTSBURGH HERE WE GO!

EDIT: ALSO Just seen the UK Ellte Play offs will be aired on BBC

Soldato
Do you know if they are on catch up? Storm didn't make the play offs but I will watch a few games.

I think it was yesterday, not seen if it's on still. It was a good game but be warned it's long!! Steelers won it in the 2nd OT period so after nearly 80 minutes of hockey (equates to nearly 4 hours of real time).

Back
Top Bottom