Google assistant command

Associate
As people will be receiving their pixels today, got my Xl waiting for me at home, I thought it would be useful to have a thread where we can share useful voice commands on Google assistant. E.g how to phrase things for certain actions.

I wonder if you can add stuff to Google keep via assistant, it didn't work for my through Allo on non pixel yesterday.

Associate
OP
My phone is encrypted so I have to have a PIN on for security. When the phone is locked 'ok google' doesn't work unless I am connected to a Bluetooth headset. I. Pretty sure when I have an unlock pattern as security the 'ok google' worked. Is this correct?

On another note, I changed my language settings from the default of English- American to English UK and the 'ok google' detection seems much better.

Soldato
All this Assistant, Now, Cortana, Siri stuff etc seem great in theory, however something occurred to me the other day and that was not once, not on a single solitary occasion have I heard anyone use any of these and in my job I interact with hundreds of people weekly up and down the country.

So while the tech seems ok, it doesn't seem like something the public actually want or use (or at least not out in the open or in front of other people). I've used Google Now twice to launch the Nav app in my car but on the 2nd occasion it failed miserably so I haven't bothered since.

Soldato
I use voice commands at home a bit, i.e. when cooking in the kitchen etc.
Don't think I've ever used it when in public though, and I think if I saw someone in public using voice commands I'd think they were a bit of a berk - so I think you're partially right :p

Soldato
My phone is encrypted so I have to have a PIN on for security. When the phone is locked 'ok google' doesn't work unless I am connected to a Bluetooth headset. I. Pretty sure when I have an unlock pattern as security the 'ok google' worked. Is this correct?

On another note, I changed my language settings from the default of English- American to English UK and the 'ok google' detection seems much better.

'Ok google' works fine for me when my phone is locked?

It's early days with google yet and it can only get better, especially if the same tech is going to be used in their Home products too.

Associate
All this Assistant, Now, Cortana, Siri stuff etc seem great in theory, however something occurred to me the other day and that was not once, not on a single solitary occasion have I heard anyone use any of these and in my job I interact with hundreds of people weekly up and down the country...

I mentioned the exact same thing in the pixy thread. I've asked many people what they think of them and they just laugh usually followed by "it can tell me the weather"..

That's one of the problems i have with google's new phone.. they are advertising this as a feature of the phone and expect you to pay a premium price for it now when the feature right now is only in an alpha state at best.

Permabanned
Voice commands will always be a problem because we won't trust the application to negate the background noise. too many times have we struggled with the assistant misinterpreting what we say and only get frustrated, as a result we don't trust it to use in public.

Soldato
I use it only when driving, "ok google, alternate routes" is very handy for seeing where traffic is.
Also the phone and text while driving. But thats it, at no other point do i use it nor want to.

It is so annoying that its so limited, why cant i say "ok google whats app so and so" i even tried to get directions it will show the map but doesnt go into navigation mode.

Associate
OP
Nope, encryption has been forced since the N6 and it works fine with that. Go to the Google settings and make sure under "Ok Google" detection, always on is enabled.

My Ok Google detection is always on.

Edit: my email account on Gmail has restricted some lock screen functions. Might be that. I'll try remove that email account and see if it works.

Last edited:
Soldato
I mentioned the exact same thing in the pixy thread. I've asked many people what they think of them and they just laugh usually followed by "it can tell me the weather"..

It can't even do that properly! In the morning I asked my pixel what the weather will be this weekend and she told me highs of 12 but on the screen it said 13. :D

It's still early (ish) days and the more people use it the better it will get over time. Once people brake this "taboo" of talking to your tech in public (it will not be me though:)) it will pick up.

Soldato
I use voice commands to set reminders all the time, so much faster than opening the calendar. I also use it for long messages in the house and when cooking or exercising to set countdown timers.

Back
Top Bottom