Knife Thread

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Wife just broke a knife cutting carrots. Apparently it practically jumped off the board. Could easily have cut her.

y3mNZfYIma5ALbxddBdA0J9jAgSyVeuoYr_09oTWUJLBr1loew3J6QuMAFxOZSOPgnlmnv6XwWGNnwfiNJTZ2j4fjzO9bc-qyIkX0Prbo9xkiOJGkHtbgEc0InABW6jAvoy-jF11OeMGYtzfyXKR_J_BE6-E3lZ9BwXmsQtNoOcDW0

I've spoken to the retailer (as Global's website suggests) but they've suggested I go direct as they don't sell many Global knives and the rep consequently doesn't visit very often. Plus, despite what Global's website suggests, the retailer isn't in a position to judge if it's a warranty issue or not.

However, the retailer did suggest that Global will not regard it as under warranty as in his experience they'll simply claim I haven't washed it right, i.e. I've used a dishwasher, or left it on a draining board to dry.

Not very happy and will probably just write it off (and their life-time guarantee) and never buy their products again.

Worryingly the exact same issue as Pho!

The handle on my Global decided to snap whilst chopping carrots tonight :(. I've always looked after it (never dropped it, and it's never sat in water) and there was zero indication it was going to go. As it snapped it sliced my finger too which was nice. Oh well, I was thinking of getting a new knife anyway.

Soldato
However, the retailer did suggest that Global will not regard it as under warranty as in his experience they'll simply claim I haven't washed it right, i.e. I've used a dishwasher, or left it on a draining board to dry.

Even if you have it wouldn't cause that, I've always disliked Globals :p

Soldato
Ouch, you wouldnt expect that to happen on such expensive knives. I'm guessing there must be a weak point in that area during manufacturing, or its not been tempered properly.

My Victorinox knife is still going strong. Only issue is it doesn't take long to lose its edge. Especially when my sister visits and wacks the blade on the edge of the pan to get the stuck bits of garlic etc off it :rolleyes:.

Man of Honour
OP
ah yes the joys of other people using nice knifes. Why I like a high Rockwell number, retains an edge better, but is harder to sharpen.

I've always disliked Globals :p

not the only one, fashion and high price over quality.
and personally metal handles, suck absolutely suck dog danglies

Last edited:
Soldato
Any recommendations of brands to look out for for a decent chefs knife? I have my eye on a Wusthof but am drawn towards Japanese knives too - no idea which knives from http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Page.html are decent though, they all look lovely, but how does the quality compare to a similarly priced German blade?

I have both the 14" and 17" Wüsthof Santoku (classic range) and they are fantastic. I use them almost exclusively.

Both I have had for over 2 years and still as good as the day I got them.

I did look into wetstone sharpening but ended up buying the Wüsthof sharpener which I'm very pleased with indeed.

I bought the three small Wüsthof black handled knife set with the pairing knife etc. That is very good but not as good quality as the classic range.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wife just broke a knife cutting carrots. Apparently it practically jumped off the board. Could easily have cut her.

y3mNZfYIma5ALbxddBdA0J9jAgSyVeuoYr_09oTWUJLBr1loew3J6QuMAFxOZSOPgnlmnv6XwWGNnwfiNJTZ2j4fjzO9bc-qyIkX0Prbo9xkiOJGkHtbgEc0InABW6jAvoy-jF11OeMGYtzfyXKR_J_BE6-E3lZ9BwXmsQtNoOcDW0

I've spoken to the retailer (as Global's website suggests) but they've suggested I go direct as they don't sell many Global knives and the rep consequently doesn't visit very often. Plus, despite what Global's website suggests, the retailer isn't in a position to judge if it's a warranty issue or not.

Not very happy and will probably just write it off (and their life-time guarantee) and never buy their products again.

I sent two off through House of Fraser, one happened like yours with normal chopping, the other dropped by Mrs Cheesyboy. Whilst I had bought them from HoF, I didn't have proof of purchase but they said it didn't matter. They sent them off for me, and I got two new knives from Global. Can't remember if they came straight to my house or if I collected in store. Suspect they came direct.

It's certainly worth making the claim.

Soldato
That's a very common failure point for Global knives - I've not seen one fail anywhere else actually!

As Cheesyboy has said, they're known for being very good at replacing them.

Soldato
Each to their own but I don't understand the popularity of those Globals, I've tried them and find them uncomfortable to hold and not at all well balanced for me. Probably in the minority but that's fine XD

Definitely worth claiming for a replacement though.

Soldato
I bought mine because I was young (about 26) and naive. Or basically because I'd used a mate's and thought they were lovely, whilst knowing nothing about other brands.

I've been perfectly happy with them, other than being a couple down whilst I got my arse into gear to do a warranty claim. They still feel great to use.

Associate
Each to their own but I don't understand the popularity of those Globals, I've tried them and find them uncomfortable to hold and not at all well balanced for me. Probably in the minority but that's fine XD

Definitely worth claiming for a replacement though.

Totally agree. Over-priced tat imo.

Soldato
Totally agree. Over-priced tat imo.

Also I didn't find the blade was fine enough for me to do fine chopping such as onions. They reminded me of my old silver handled Sabatier knives, solid (or one would hope) but clunky to use.

Just to add to my earlier comment from today, I wouldn't be without a reasonably sized chefs knife for quick chopping (something I struggle with when using santoku) so but I have another Wüsthof classic for that but certainly prefer the fineness of the santoku blade for virtually everything else.

Associate
That website looks awful - is it kosher?! Obviously consider you might get hit with import duties etc with that site. Maybe consider www.japana.uk .

I like the look of a load of Japanese blades, and will probably get some eventually, but I went for Wusthof Classic Ikons a while back... I love them, although I don't like to think about how much I've ended up spending. I now have a chef's knife, a super slicer, a paring knife, filleting knife, and boning knife :o. At least that means I can't really spend any more on them... :o

I've bought from there before ('there' being japanesechefsknife.com), they're fine. Don't think I've ever shared a picture of it, a Hattori HD-8:

ONCo5Ia.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I must be in the minority, I actually really like the Global I use, it's their 5 inch utility knife. There is another, which I suspect is the same model as the one BadMojo had but I agree, it doesn't feel as comfortable to use and my dad at one point used it as a flat-head screw-driver so the tip is a bit cracked (lol). That one just lives in the drawer, it's far too big and the handle is too short to get a proper lever on choppy things like turnips.

Associate
I must be in the minority, I actually really like the Global I use.

I agree with this. I got them heavily discounted but have 6 of them at home and really like them. They hold an edge pretty well and look nice in the kitchen.

I wouldn't necessarily pay full price for them but for your typical consumer who walks into a high street store wanting a fancy set of knives they fit the bill well.

A Robert Welch chefs knife is my go to knife in the kitchen however. Just as sharp with a more ergonomic handle. Also fwiw less than half the price of the equivalent global.

Associate
My GS-5 snapped in the same spot while slicing some veggies.

I did get a replacement from the retailer, eventually, but I certainly won't be buying another Global.

Back
Top Bottom