Best way to seal insulate behind Garage Door

Associate
Hi All,

I'm currently insulating and boarding my garage out and not sure the bet way forward for the garage door.

I'm building a stud wall behind the garage door (cls 38 x 89) and going to fill with 90mm celotex.

I'm not sure if this would be warm enough due to the garage door / gaps so was also thinking of using 60mm celotex friction fitted directly behind the door garage door in the brick recess but not too sure?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Soldato
Think I'd be spraying expanding foam around the gaps to fill them in, cutting it down if it gets too big, then whacking a vapour barrier + insulation there.

marine MDF on the outside of the stud wall with the insulation on the inside the stud wall.

Associate
OP
Think I'd be spraying expanding foam around the gaps to fill them in, cutting it down if it gets too big, then whacking a vapour barrier + insulation there.

marine MDF on the outside of the stud wall with the insulation on the inside the stud wall.

Thanks for the input. I was also thinking expanding foam but didn't want to much mess. Any idea what I could stick down before using the expanding foam so it's easy to remove in the future.

Also do you think I could substitute the mdf and put some celotex 25mm on the outside of the studwall or would this be a bad idea.

Soldato
It's just important to fill those gaps otherwise water and cold air are going to get in.

Expanding foam was my first thought I wouldn't think it'd be too hard to remove in the future but you could look at rubber strips + caulking of some kind.

Celotex would be fine, I'd just don't know what would happen if it gets wet.

Tbh, I'd be removing the garage door, building a tight stud frame in there and putting on some external cladding.

Associate
Fair enough, if its only going to be for a couple of years I would just stick some 1200 gauge damp proof membrane up inside over the door and frame and a vapour barrier, insulation and stud wall. Just make sure you have good drainage outside your garage as you don't want a water coming in under the door. I presume your be using treated timber, but would suggest treating all the cut ends.

Soldato
I would stick some DPM around the door aperture and hang/stick a large sheet of DPM across the door then fix the celotex in place going around the edges with expanding foam (around the area of the DPM so its easy to remove). If you paint a thick oil like substance around the are you want to fill it will stop the expanding foam getting out of control.

Back
Top Bottom