Snow Sports 2016/17

Soldato
tom nieto - where do you get you insurance from then ? I had previously used annual membership to ClubAlpinFrancaise but apparently they do not do off-piste any more - otherwise I had seen 'worldwide travel insurance' which seem to be reasonable at ~£3 a day, and would not then bother to include it in the ski pass.

even on piste invariably have a small rucsac too with spare gloves/drink/food - balaclava - tethered skis are useful too, off-piste, but afaik only have that on mountaineering skis.
have never used a helmet yet - but they are there, more and more , inc USA ?

Soldato
tom nieto - where do you get you insurance from then ? I had previously used annual membership to ClubAlpinFrancaise but apparently they do not do off-piste any more - otherwise I had seen 'worldwide travel insurance' which seem to be reasonable at ~£3 a day, and would not then bother to include it in the ski pass.

even on piste invariably have a small rucsac too with spare gloves/drink/food - balaclava - tethered skis are useful too, off-piste, but afaik only have that on mountaineering skis.
have never used a helmet yet - but they are there, more and more , inc USA ?

I have an annual travel insurance policy through www.insureandgo.com which covers large medical expenses, cancellation, personal items etc etc.

The Carre Neige (www.carreneige.com) is specific to the ski resort (perhaps even France as a whole) and covers mountain rescue and evacuation and also some other bits and pieces. I think you could easily get away with just this if you're an EU citizen and have a valid E111 card. The advantage of the off piste in the 3 valleys is that the ski area actually covers everything in-between the resorts too so while you're not on a groomed run, you're not out of bounds unless you're very adventurous. Even then I think the insurance covers you. In all honesty I can't see why it isn't bundled into the ski pass cost anyway as it's a very small fraction of the overall cost.

Soldato
Hoping to do Banff in March next year. Anything I should know/do? First time in Canada, going with a group. Haven't decided if I'll ski or board yet.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with mittens, but I'd strongly suggest going with a "Mitten-Combo" which is where the index finger is separate.

Example

I personally think it's down to personal preference regarding mitten over gloves, mittens can be/tend to be warmer IMO.

Thanks, might look into those combo ones.

Ultimately, I'll likely pick something quite cheap. Is an additional glove liner advisable?

Soldato
I have an annual travel insurance policy through www.insureandgo.com which covers large medical expenses, cancellation, personal items etc etc.

The Carre Neige (www.carreneige.com) is specific to the ski resort (perhaps even France as a whole) and covers mountain rescue and evacuation and also some other bits and pieces. I think you could easily get away with just this if you're an EU citizen and have a valid E111 card. The advantage of the off piste in the 3 valleys is that the ski area actually covers everything in-between the resorts too so while you're not on a groomed run, you're not out of bounds unless you're very adventurous. Even then I think the insurance covers you. In all honesty I can't see why it isn't bundled into the ski pass cost anyway as it's a very small fraction of the overall cost.

First time to France (Morzine) in Jan....ta, hadn't heard about this. Definitely worth it.

Soldato
tom_nieto thanks for the insurance info/ref - interesting : a helicopter is only 1400 euros,
and they refund the rest of your ski pass if you are carted away.

Caporegime
This is why I love the 3 valleys. The ridiculously cheap off piste insurance which can be purchased with the ski pass allows an unbelievable area to explore... and get helicoptered out of if you're in trouble!

AFAIK Carre Neige (the insurance policy) is available throughout France, not just the 3V?

But yeah, I have partaken in that a couple of days, when venturing a bit farther than just off the side and between runs, which was covered by my usual insurance.

Hestra gloves are highly regarded as well, usually there or there about in "best gloves" reviews.

Really wanted a pair of Hestras, but I just couldn't get on with them. I can't remember exactly why now, but I think it may have been because they have short fingers.

Last edited:
Soldato
AFAIK Carte Neige (the insurance policy) is available throughout France, not just the 3V?

But yeah, I have partaken in that a couple of days, when venturing a bit farther than just off the side and between runs, which was covered by my usual insurance.

Really wanted a pair of Hestras, but I just couldn't get on with them. I can't remember exactly why now, but I think it may have been because they have short fingers.

Looked at the website for the first time earlier today and it would indeed appear to be for the whole of France. It's great value and I usually get it for the duration of my trip.

Caporegime
Hoping to do Banff in March next year. Anything I should know/do? First time in Canada, going with a group. Haven't decided if I'll ski or board yet.

When you say "do" Banff, I presume that means you're going to stay in the town and visit the local resorts (Sunshine, Norquay and Lake Louise all fall under "Banff")?

Norquay is very close to the town, about 10-15 mins drive but if you're not a beginner then you'll get bored in a couple of hours, it's very small and other than the runs from the North American chair (ungroomed blacks - both times I went last year the top was mix of gravel and snow) the runs are very short and easy, but there are a couple of steeper sections. Queues on weekends and holidays for the North American will be long and slow*

Lake Louise is an hour away and probably the closest to the size of a standard european resort, with plenty of lifts and some stunning on and off piste (and scenery). My favourite resort I went to last year. The Back Bowl is nice and easy to ski and no need to hike for most of it, and even a few days after a dump you can usually find lines with fresh powder (especially straight off the back - mix of single and double diamonds). The Rock Garden is fun, but only do it if there's plenty of snow and you're not too worried about scratching your skis/board.:p

Sunshine I haven't been to yet, but from what I've heard it's close to Banff, but once you factor in the gondola up to the main ski area it's about the same time as Lake Louise to "get" to. Also not great for snowboarders as theres a lot of flat sections apparently.

There's also Nakiska which is about half an hour or so from Banff back towards Calgary (in Kananaskis), which is supposed to be a nice hill, less off piste and harder/icier runs - it's regularly used for racing competitions.

Other than resorts there's the obvious, Lake Louise Lake (various long and short hikes around to viewpoints, next to the hotel, Banff hot springs etc.

Food wise Sleeping Buffalo Restaurant is really nice, as is apparently the Grizzly House.

*The lift was modified last year for pedestrians to get up to the restaurant at the top, which means it has a lot less capacity than normal lifts. It's also the only lift that services the more challenging terrain.

Caporegime
Looked at the website for the first time earlier today and it would indeed appear to be for the whole of France. It's great value and I usually get it for the duration of my trip.

Just seeing your other post the only thing I would say if you were using that as your own insurance - make sure it covers medical evacuation back to the UK, rather than just to a hospital. Not sure how far the coverage actually extends. :confused:

Soldato
The worldwide ski insurance I had ref'd says no repat for the sake of it.
Our nominated emergency service has the medical expertise, contacts and facilities to help should you be injured in an accident or fall ill. Our nominated emergency service will also arrange transport to your home country when this is considered to be medically necessary or when you have notice of illness or death of a close relative at home . Yo u must contact them if you are admitted to hospital and wish to return home by any means other than originally booked or require treatment that will cost more than £500 (or the equivalent in local currency

also

Reciprocal health agreements EU, EEA or Switzerland If you are travelling to countries within the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland you are strongly advised to obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Yo u can apply for an EHIC online at www.ehic.org.uk or by telephoning 0300 330 1350. This will entitle you to benefit from the health care arrangements which exist between countries within the EU/EEA or Switzerland.

Soldato
When you say "do" Banff, I presume that means you're going to stay in the town and visit the local resorts (Sunshine, Norquay and Lake Louise all fall under "Banff")?

Norquay is very close to the town, about 10-15 mins drive but if you're not a beginner then you'll get bored in a couple of hours, it's very small and other than the runs from the North American chair (ungroomed blacks - both times I went last year the top was mix of gravel and snow) the runs are very short and easy, but there are a couple of steeper sections. Queues on weekends and holidays for the North American will be long and slow*

Lake Louise is an hour away and probably the closest to the size of a standard european resort, with plenty of lifts and some stunning on and off piste (and scenery). My favourite resort I went to last year. The Back Bowl is nice and easy to ski and no need to hike for most of it, and even a few days after a dump you can usually find lines with fresh powder (especially straight off the back - mix of single and double diamonds). The Rock Garden is fun, but only do it if there's plenty of snow and you're not too worried about scratching your skis/board.:p

Sunshine I haven't been to yet, but from what I've heard it's close to Banff, but once you factor in the gondola up to the main ski area it's about the same time as Lake Louise to "get" to. Also not great for snowboarders as theres a lot of flat sections apparently.

There's also Nakiska which is about half an hour or so from Banff back towards Calgary (in Kananaskis), which is supposed to be a nice hill, less off piste and harder/icier runs - it's regularly used for racing competitions.

Other than resorts there's the obvious, Lake Louise Lake (various long and short hikes around to viewpoints, next to the hotel, Banff hot springs etc.

Food wise Sleeping Buffalo Restaurant is really nice, as is apparently the Grizzly House.

*The lift was modified last year for pedestrians to get up to the restaurant at the top, which means it has a lot less capacity than normal lifts. It's also the only lift that services the more challenging terrain.

Awesome, thanks for that. Yes sorry by Banff I mean Norquay, Lake Louise and Sunshine. One of the guys I'm going with has a place in the area so I'm guessing he knows a bit about it but always good to get other views. Sounds like Lake Louise will be my first port of call.

Associate
Booked Andorra for the first week of march, didnt have much choice in budget this year unfortunately, but stoked to give andorra a try!

Associate
Valnord! first time with the gf whos basically a beginner so should be fine i think

Nice. I have been there both times I went to Andorra. Would definitely recommend getting over to Arcalis at least once when you are there. Views over there are amazing and a lot more area. Also a really long green run that leads to an olympic ring (very flat though so prepare for a workout).

Associate
Nice. I have been there both times I went to Andorra. Would definitely recommend getting over to Arcalis at least once when you are there. Views over there are amazing and a lot more area. Also a really long green run that leads to an olympic ring (very flat though so prepare for a workout).

we're staying off mountain a little bit and are a free shuttle to either Arcalis or Arinsal so we will get to do both which is cool. Really stoked now I've actually booked.. do need to start work on the old rusty legs though

Back
Top Bottom