What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Dead Rising 6/10.

Been playing Dead Rising 3 on my recently bought Xbox One and saw this on Amazon so decided to give it a go.
It was ok. Certainly watchable if you have nothing better to do. Probably won't make an awful lot of sense if you haven't played the game.

News room scenes where a bit cringe worthy, reminded me of 'The Day Today' - but not in a good way.

Loved the way they duct taped over anything that advertises a brand (the taped over Nissan badge being my favourite) except Sony... Sony product placement in a film based on an Xbox exclusive game... hmm.

Soldato
Grimsby

Now I want to start this by saying I'm not a fan of SBC, dislike Borat, never particularly like Ali-G etc so when I popped around to a friends and they were just putting this on I groaned inside...

And yes, this film is terrible (in any critical sense) but omg, did we laugh, genuine belly laughs all the way through, and what else do you want from a comedy? :D

So it might have just been right time, right company, but for a comedy, it was great : 7.5 / 10

I watched Grimsby too and you are right, it is awful but very funny! 3/5

Soldato
Victoria (2015)

Been meaning to watch this and noticed it on Netflix.

Very intense film as the camera work makes you feel like your in the movie and part of the group involved.

I thought it was very well done.

8/10

Soldato
Jack Reacher : Never go back - 4/10 - The first film was a better "Reacher" film than this as it had a "police" story narrative (detective work, evidence etc) whereas this is a bog standard "fugitive on the run" chase story which doesn't suit the Reacher narrative very well (methodical yet unconventional police work followed by brutal take down of the bad guys).

Tom Cruise actually looks tired during the movie which, at his age, he probably is as he spends most of the movie being out sprinted by the lovely Cobie Smulders who holds her own but is definitely still only co-star material. The fight scenes are as brutal as ever but suffer from "set piece-itis" where you can see them coming a mile away as the location shoot swaps to a stage and the faceless bad guys never look like putting Reacher in any trouble.

The "boss" bad guy was wasted in a virtual cameo role, the "head henchman" was brutal but very poor written and was more like a caricature than a real person. The young girl was highly punchable through-out, in fact it was one of the few films where I wish "the girl" had died, as it would have given Reacher more rage to play with.

Don
American Honey - 7/10

Struggling to make my mind up about this, well shot, well acted, but the story just lacked something for me.

The Last Days On Mars 7/10

Enjoyed this, zombies on mars essentially.

Caporegime
Girl on a train. 5\10

Free showing so didn't care too much.
Gf had read the book so I was totally clueless.

It's a chicklfilm thriller... Need I say more..
Covers topics and a story that only a 30 year old divorced bitter bitch would care about.

Emily blunt ? Main woman is pretty superb, Inc Oscar nomination? But the films boring too long and obvious.

Doesn't translate from the book well or bad choices in production...

Associate
Train to Busan. 7/10

Very entertaining, the claustrophobic setting of the train helped a lot I think. Some interesting takes on the zombies too and what they do.
Dodgy subtitle file made it funny a bit too :D

Caporegime
White Men Can't Jump. Pretty entertaining basketball hustle film from the early 90s. Great performances from Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes. Endless trash talk and swearing, which got a bit tiring at times.

Permabanned
Girl on a train. 5\10

It's a chicklfilm thriller... Need I say more..
Covers topics and a story that only a 30 year old divorced bitter bitch would care about.

I guess most peoples girlfriends, myself (a 25 year old male) and nearly all our mothers are bitches then xD

In all seriousness though, I don't get arguments like this. Especially one's stating that the movie is all about how men are 'pigs'.

Rubbish.

If you're a man who truly has that opinion of this movie, you need to get over yourself and remember the basic structure necessary to make a good thiller and that one or perhaps 2 of the antagonists might just have to be male.

Last edited:
Don
Deepwater Horizon 9/10
Brought on the tears this, mainly due to the similarity to Piper Alpha and it was good to see the makers didn't go to overboard with artistic license and seemed to give an authentic look of life on a rig (explosions excluded).

Anyone that works in oil and gas seen it?
How accurate is the accident bit.
I would imagine it's actually pretty accurate depiction of what happened up until perhaps the bit with the crane.

Back
Top Bottom