HDR Monitors

Caporegime
Yes, however...... only if it becomes wide spread and by the looks of it, it will, at least for films.... Games wise, it is hard to say, personally I think it will take a long time until we see it being used commonly for gaming. So yeah atm, don't care but for future proofing, definetly.

I would much much much much much much much much.... rather have OLED displays over HDR though ;) Of course, you could always have both :p :D

Soldato
My plasma TV being 10 years old will probably be replaced fairly soon and HDR will be on the list. Same for my next monitor but I have a 34" Predator from last year so that won't be for a few months unless it becomes widely adopted sooner.

Last edited:
Soldato
HDR would be a nice bonus for many users I feel, but it's more the capabilities required by a monitor that would properly support this that would be appealing. In particular the exceptional contrast which would be of huge benefit regardless of whether the content being viewed was HDR or not.

Associate
Yes definitely, I gave up waiting though and now have a Samsung KS9000 for a combined monitor/TV. Playing Shadow Warrior 2 in HDR is amazing.

Caporegime
HDR would be a nice bonus for many users I feel, but it's more the capabilities required by a monitor that would properly support this that would be appealing. In particular the exceptional contrast which would be of huge benefit regardless of whether the content being viewed was HDR or not.

PCM2 hit the nail on the head. Its not so much the HDR but the rigid definition of what a Ultra HD Premium HDR screen gives you which is a minimum contrast, 10 bit, 90% of P3 colours colour gamut unlike most monitors atm which are 80% and

OPTION 1: More than 1,000 nits peak brightness and less than 0.05nits black level

OPTION 2: More than 540 nits brightness and less than 0.0005 nits black level

Option 2 just been for OLED screens.

SOme monitors been sold today probably already hit these requirements and are HDR monitors already.

Of course what will happen is what has happened with TVs in that more than half of the TVs which say "HDR" are just HDR ready and will just accept a HDR signal and even dont have better contrast. In 2015 there was bearly enough HDR TVs to count on one hand which met the Ultra HD Premium standard

Last edited:
Caporegime
The sad thing is, monitor manufacturers are just milking LCD tech big time now so it is going to be a long time until we see OLED monitors (which don't cost a fortune) :(

Associate
This. Even without HDR content, high contrast support would be very nice.

For example, local dimming could eliminate "IPS glow/bleed" issues to large extent - because backlight would be toned down/switched off on black areas of the screen. This could give best of both worlds - viewing angles & colours of IPS, *and* high contrast.

Soldato
I'd FAR rather see ultrawide developed beyond the slim pickings we have at present, break the 100Hz barrier and more than just one panel! OLED would also take priority for me, but I know that's just wishful thinking. HDR is a bonus, but absolutely is not going to be the deciding factor for me upgrading from the X34. In fact, screw all of this, just figure out how to make monitors WITHOUT HORRENDOUS BACK LIGHT BLEED and you'll have a happy customer for life!! ;)

Caporegime
I'd FAR rather see ultrawide developed beyond the slim pickings we have at present, break the 100Hz barrier and more than just one panel! OLED would also take priority for me, but I know that's just wishful thinking. HDR is a bonus, but absolutely is not going to be the deciding factor for me upgrading from the X34. In fact, screw all of this, just figure out how to make monitors WITHOUT HORRENDOUS BACK LIGHT BLEED and you'll have a happy customer for life!! ;)

Slim pickings? Every monitor that has come out in last 6 months seem to be ultra wide! Where is the normal love?

Back
Top Bottom