What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Two recently

Star Trek Beyond
Fine as an action flick, well filmed. Looked good, but as with virtually all star trek films, seems to miss the star trek vibe, everyone doing a good portrayal of the original case, love Karl Urban as the doc, he has that down to a tee.
Bad guy was the issue, all built up to the need to use some super weapon for some point or other that he seemed to think was important, instead of just battering the life out of the space station with his fleet of very hard to kill vessels.
Plot points may the story irritating, i can happily suspend science when watching star trek, but can't suspend idiocy.
Also that federation space base, brand new, just finished, yet fully populated by millions of people, despite beind in deep space. Like the 'red matter' plot point in his first star trek film, it just doesn't make sense.

Soldato
X-men apocalyse

Set between first class and days of future past
Well filmed, greatscenes, good powers all blended into basic dullness.
I think the main problem is they are covering ground they have covered too many times before.
Yes big badguy, yes world getting ripped apart, but there seemed no actual threat.

Soldato
Girl on a train. 5\10
*snip*

Covers topics and a story that only a 30 year old divorced bitter bitch would care about.

*snip*

lol that synopsis :)

I watched the new Jack Reacher film and was disappointed after enjoying the first one i was really looking forward to another good action film.

As alluded by other reviewers the bad guy is like a pantomime 'baddie'. The action scenes are okay but it just didn't click with me like the first did. Guess i am waiting for the new John Wick now, though i still have the new Bourne to watch too.

Associate
Just had the new blu-ray of John Carpenter's Christine delivered yesterday and just watched. Haven't seen it for years and really enjoyed it. Like most Stephen King adaptations there's loads missing, but this one still works even though they messed with the storyline.

Shame they had to apparently trash over 20 Plymouths during shooting :(.

Also got IT on blu-ray so need to finish watching that - Tim Curry rocks :).

Associate
Moneyball (2011)

Compelling if a little schmaltzy.

Has more baseball terminology than other films of its ilk (which are usually just about one person being really plucky and getting home runs) but still enjoyable.

7/10

Soldato
What made you think this? In the simplest of terms FC is 60's, DOFP 70's and the latest one is 80's.

DOFP is a time jump film, the latter stage of it, is certainly in the future, initially the sentinel war, and secondly all flash forwards were to a point well past the third film.
That's what I meant, at the end of DOFP we have Patrick Stewart saying he has been awaiting Logan popping in for a catchup chat for some time.
I would have expected the third film to involve that aspect of storyline being progressed.
It seems not to be the case, they have instead jumped back to the 80s and filled an entire film with something that just seemed more of the same with no threat, no impending doom, it just missed so much.

Soldato
Doctor Strange 7/10.

Never really grabbed me either though it was entertaining enough. It wasn't your standard blockbuster, a little more low key but still ambitious. I can understand why the filmmakers did it but the first 15 minutes felt very rushed and concise, which isn't normally a bad thing but it didn't quite fit together. Ended strongly though.

Soldato
DOFP is a time jump film, the latter stage of it, is certainly in the future, initially the sentinel war, and secondly all flash forwards were to a point well past the third film.
That's what I meant, at the end of DOFP we have Patrick Stewart saying he has been awaiting Logan popping in for a catchup chat for some time.
I would have expected the third film to involve that aspect of storyline being progressed.
It seems not to be the case, they have instead jumped back to the 80s and filled an entire film with something that just seemed more of the same with no threat, no impending doom, it just missed so much.

Gotcha and see where you're coming from now, I just meant the body of DOFP is in the 70's.

Soldato
Kevin Spacey as a cat...Christopher walken as a Cat shop owner...

Guff

3/10

No idea why actors do these type of films? They don't need the money!!!!!:mad:

De Niro is another regular suspect for these horrendous movies. I'm pretty sure that they only do it for the money. They've made their "great" films already, now its just about kicking back and earning as much money to do the things they want.

That's my theory anyway.

Soldato
BFG

Turned it off half way through.

Steven Spielberg what are you doing? :eek:

I watched the whole thing. As great as the memory of the 80s cartoon and the book are to me, this just seem to fall flat.
I know I'm an adult and thus something is always lost on me, but it just felt like half the story was missing.
It just fell boring, but I cannot work out why.

Caporegime
De Niro is another regular suspect for these horrendous movies. I'm pretty sure that they only do it for the money. They've made their "great" films already, now its just about kicking back and earning as much money to do the things they want.

That's my theory anyway.

Maybe...How much money do you need!

I watched the whole thing. As great as the memory of the 80s cartoon and the book are to me, this just seem to fall flat.
I know I'm an adult and thus something is always lost on me, but it just felt like half the story was missing.
It just fell boring, but I cannot work out why.

The girl got on my nerves...and the whole thing lacked soul...

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Dr Strange - had my doubts but thoroughly enjoyed it. Was a lot better than I expected. Good cast alround. Ben really carried the film well. Marvel hitting all the right notes atm. Hard to see how DC can catch up. 8.5/10.

Back
Top Bottom