PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

Soldato
Because most of the "4K" games aren't even native, i'm expecting 1080p will get far more love than expected.

I think it was Cerny himself who said even downscaling a 4K image to 1080p will offer vast improvements to quality let alone the actual direct 1080p direct features.
Any PC gamer with a decent rig will extol the virtues of downsampling if asked about it. And with how high the resolution can be pushed with PS4 Pro, the image quality improvements for 1080p users should be pretty amazing in most cases.

Soldato
Any PC gamer with a decent rig will extol the virtues of downsampling if asked about it. And with how high the resolution can be pushed with PS4 Pro, the image quality improvements for 1080p users should be pretty amazing in most cases.

It's the easiest thing for devs to implement as well. They have to effectively scale back this stuff to reach an acceptable frame rate. It shouldn't be a difficult feat to patch in for most games.

Titanfall 2

Producer Drew McCoy explained in an interview that the PS4 Pro version of Titanfall 2 will not run in native 4K. However, the console's extra power should help the game stick closer to its 60FPS target. Read the full interview here to learn more.

The Elder Scrolls Online

PS4 Pro with a 1080p display:

Increased graphical fidelity.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Super sampling anti-aliasing.

NBA 2K17

2K confirmed to GameSpot that it will still render a 4K resolution even on a 1080p display. The company said this should result in "much better anti-aliasing" with HDR support.

Paragon

Enhanced visual effects, procedural ground cover, higher scene complexity, greater texture fidelity, and dynamic reflections.

The Witness

1080p resolution instead of 900p and increased antialiasing quality from 2x to 4x MSAA, while keeping a solid 60 FPS.

Killing Floor 2

Increased framerate and supersampling, as well as increased texture resolutions (which may also be present at 4K).

.....then stacks of other games where the details haven't been confirmed yet.

Associate
Main reason I'm getting a Pro is the possibility of Rocket League with less screen tearing.

I don't own a 4K TV yet but for PSVR and the 1080p improvements it is worth it to me.

Soldato
People claiming that downsampling is amazing, whilst this is true but it's very intensive resource wise from I've seen.

Absolutely, but people asked what benefit there would be at 1080p. This is one of the methods. It could be 1440p downsampling (not sure if that causes issues as not exactly double res).

Soldato
I'm remaining very sceptical about what benefits this is going to bring for 1080p, I just don't think it's going to be anything special.

I see it this way, it's no different from buying new GPU's but keeping the same 1080 monitor for years. Getting higher frames is always better.

Thats why im getting one even though i don't have a 4K TV.

Soldato
It's very different though; I know a new PC GPU will increase performance in every game I own. The improvement is immediate, it's not reliant on the developer patching a new mode in or them specifying what "settings" to use with that new GPU when the game gets released.

My concern is there'll be no consistency to how developers approach it. Some will just turn a few settings up a bit and leave it there, others will go to more effort. Doesn't really seem worth buying into until we've got a good picture of what the extra power will do.

Soldato
It's very different though; I know a new PC GPU will increase performance in every game I own. The improvement is immediate, it's not reliant on the developer patching a new mode in or them specifying what "settings" to use with that new GPU when the game gets released.

My concern is there'll be no consistency to how developers approach it. Some will just turn a few settings up a bit and leave it there, others will go to more effort. Doesn't really seem worth buying into until we've got a good picture of what the extra power will do.

This is going to be the case. If the Pro wasn't held back by the PS4 we`d be getting far better performance at 4k and 1080p than we're going to get. It`s going to be severely held back. I'm getting one mostly for VR, which may turn out to be a bad gamble, and if there's other benefits it's all good.

Soldato
The four bullet points on that box demonstrate perfectly why I'm so sceptical about this thing at the moment. "Support for...", "selected games", "heightened by...". They can't promise anything because it's down to the developers to decide what they do with that power.

I'm looking forward to the Digital Foundry et al analyses of it just to see what it's actually going to bring to this generation and what developers can do with that extra potential, but as a current PS4 owner I certainly wouldn't be putting any money down on one until then as it all feels like a bit of an unknown right now.

Back
Top Bottom