BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

Associate
The refub monitor received back in January, doesn't open the factory mode with any key combination. Tried it.
Bought a cheap LG 25" 2560x1080 to keep as second monitor and going to send he 2730z back for repairs or replacemen

I have a f-ton of trouble getting into mine, like a ton of trial and error every time... usually 30 second cooldown before attempting to make it in again, I dread the thought of the power going out and having to go through this whole process again (I've done it maybe 7 - 8 times since owning the screen) it is extremely finicky to try make work if I was in your shoes I would try once more to give it a go just messing around for a bit, because in the end its such a nice monitor/screen! :eek: :confused:

I already RMA'd my screen once (for firmware update only)

I would do it again if I had a spare lying around!

shame it has these small problems that hold it back from being truly great!

good luck to you!

Soldato
Few hours away from the 2730Z and is missed dearly. :(
While the 25UM58 is good for watching videos is terrible on gaming.
And I do no like the 2560x1080 res.

Let's hope benq doesn't delay the process and have the replacement shortly.

Soldato
Just a quick update, received today the replacement monitor and is brand new one :)

Having used the LG 25" ultrawide for a week, and using the 2730Z back, the monitor feels HUGE!
Like I never used to own it before.

Last edited:
Associate
Just a quick update, received today the replacement monitor and is brand new one :)

Having used the LG 25" ultrawide for a week, and using the 2730Z back, the monitor feels HUGE!
Like I never used to own it before.

Sounds great, quick turn-around! let us know how you go!! love this screen!

Soldato
No issues. The screen was June 15 manufactured, not Feb 15 like the previous two.
All is back to normal.

However while I haven't updated to the latest NVidia drivers, this one doesn't suffer from the low default clock on desktop flickering and artefacts. Which was an issue and either had to turn on the monitor after the machine had boot to windows or switch the monitor off/on.

Associate
Looking for answers to a freesync problem I have.

Hello,

I have an issue with my XL2730Z... I'm trying to determine if this is AMDs drivers or the monitor and I have already RMA'd this monitor for the 02 FW update. The problem is when I play some games with free-sync on there is a subtle but noticeable brightness pulsing some games are worse then others. The screen brightness seems to shimmer or pulse not sure how to describe it and only with free-sync enabled. It seems to happen in games more during loading screens and pause menus. The best example I have that is 100% reproducible is the NoLimits 2 demo (roller coaster sim). The game needs to be ran in full screen exclusive mode and then in the editor mode as your moving around the scene the pulsing happens, it's subtle but super annoying and in almost all games but some games are perfect, so I just don't use free-sync.

I'm trying to determine if I should RMA the monitor again, or if I should just sell all the AMD technologies and switch to g-sync and nVidia.

Anyone know what I'm taking about? Or am I alone?

Thanks very much for any clues in advance.

Last edited:
Associate
try different cable

Thanks for replying but I've tried all the common sense, obvious things. This is not a new problem it's been a year now. This is not flickering like on off. I have searched forums and there is a lot of flicker issues but I don't believe this issue is related. It's brightness pulsing the image is always on the but brightness pulses at a high rate. I can't record it because I don't have a 144hz camera too show it to people.

Changed the DP cable for high quality one months ago.

The only thing that help for some games was clockblocker. Some games that have this flicker are completely fixed by the clockblocker app but others still have the issues even with clockblocker (name makes me giggle just typing it).

It really sucks to have to make multiple changes to my system to make things work on a per game basis. I should be able to enable freesync and forget it.

I'm almost done with AMD or BenQ or both... because I don't know what the cause is I'm almost ready just to sell all these products and go the G-Sync route.

Associate
Hello,

I have an issue with my XL2730Z... I'm trying to determine if this is AMDs drivers or the monitor and I have already RMA'd this monitor for the 02 FW update. The problem is when I play some games with free-sync on there is a subtle but noticeable brightness pulsing some games are worse then others. The screen brightness seems to shimmer or pulse not sure how to describe it and only with free-sync enabled. It seems to happen in games more during loading screens and pause menus. The best example I have that is 100% reproducible is the NoLimits 2 demo (roller coaster sim). The game needs to be ran in full screen exclusive mode and then in the editor mode as your moving around the scene the pulsing happens, it's subtle but super annoying and in almost all games but some games are perfect, so I just don't use free-sync.

I'm trying to determine if I should RMA the monitor again, or if I should just sell all the AMD technologies and switch to g-sync and nVidia.

Anyone know what I'm taking about? Or am I alone?

Thanks very much for any clues in advance.

I had this problem especially bad in a static (still picture) loading screen until I got an ACCEL displayport cable (1.5 metres & much shorter than the one I had before), it still remained very very faintly afterwards but eventually went away as AMD driver revisions released. I'm currently using 16.11.3 version. using AMD uninstaller and DDU in safemode, no issues any more!

all I can think of is cable used, amd driver install, factory menu reset.

otherwise I cant imagine what could be causing the issue.

Soldato
Agreeing with Flanos. First thing to try is to get the Accel DP1.2 certified cable.
The ones coming with the monitor is not DP1.2

Also use DDU to remove drivers and put the 16.11.3. If you still get flickering afterwards, RMA the monitor.

Associate
Thanks for the suggestions... I will order a shorter cable and try but everything I read about DP cables says that there is no such thing as a DP 1.2 cable and these versions numbers are just for marketing purposes.

I ordered an accel DP1.2 cable anyway but I don't think it will help because I replaced the included cable months ago. Lets see if a shorter cable will help.

EDIT: Received my Accel DP1.2 certified cable today. Made no difference.

Thanks

Agreeing with Flanos. First thing to try is to get the Accel DP1.2 certified cable.
The ones coming with the monitor is not DP1.2

Also use DDU to remove drivers and put the 16.11.3. If you still get flickering afterwards, RMA the monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
Here are some facts about DP cables... direct from the source.

"Despite what you may read, there is no such thing as a DisplayPort 1.1 cable and DisplayPort 1.2 cable. A standard DisplayPort cable, including the so-call DisplayPort 1.1 cables, will work for any DisplayPort configuration including the new capabilities enabled by DisplayPort 1.2, including 4K and multi-stream capabilities. All standard DisplayPort cables support RBR, HBR (High Bit Rate), and HBR2 (High Bit Rate 2), which can support 4K at 60Hz, or up to four 1080p displays using multi-stream."

http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

I already RMAd this monitor once and I'm worried that I'll get a referb. with other issues so I will just disable free-sync and call it an expensive lesson, not to jump on experimental technologies like freesync and wait for it to mature. This monitor is great other then this Freesync brightness flickering

Associate
For anyone able to perceive this adaptive refresh brightness fluctuation/flicker. Here is an article that has it explained well. The article is for Gsync but applies to all adaptive sync monitors. If you don't see the flicker your just by chance not using a game that show the issue or your eyes are just not good enough to perceive it.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Look-Reported-G-Sync-Display-Flickering

And here is more
http://techreport.com/news/27449/g-sync-monitors-flicker-in-some-games-and-here-why

At least now I know it's not the monitor or my system it's a technologie flaw.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom