Michael Schumacher seriously injured

Man of Honour
Unfortunately our brains have very little capacity to heal major injury, much less than the rest of our body.

Always makes me a little sad when this thread pops up and there is no good news :(

On the flipside though the brain if not too badly damaged has an incredibly powerful ability to work around damage but it takes time, lots of time and doesn't guarantee a full recovery.

Soldato
Unfortunately our brains have very little capacity to heal major injury, much less than the rest of our body.

If you think of the brain as an organ (which it is) then it's the best in the body at self-healing. Damage most other organs that badly and it's likely you'll need a transplant at best.

But I get what you mean. He broke his leg in 1999 yet was back racing in 98 days. Take what initially sounded like an innocuous knock to the head and it nearly claimed his life there and then, and ultimately it's highly likely that it sadly will.

Man of Honour
^^ I imagine it will be a very long slow progress towards whichever eventuality - I'd imagine that if he was going to take a sudden significant turn for the worst it would have happened before now.

Soldato
^^ I imagine it will be a very long slow progress towards whichever eventuality - I'd imagine that if he was going to take a sudden significant turn for the worst it would have happened before now.

I guess we thought the same with de Villota and Bianchi though, albeit both in much shorter time frames and seemingly for very different reasons.

Obviously brain's are fickle things, and who knows whether he's more susceptible to infections or other health issues.

Alternatively, and hoping against hope for a more positive possibility, all we know at the moment is that he can't walk. That could mean he could be sat in a wheelchair reading this for all we know, though you can't help but think that his family would have said something if there was any actual good news.

Man of Honour
Head to the bottom of the page, there's a section on him down there.

bbc.co.uk said:
Brawn on Schumacher

Brawn is one of the few people with an insight into the condition of Schumacher, who is recovering from serious head injuries sustained in a skiing accident in 2013.

It was revealed at a court case in Germany in September that Schumacher cannot walk but the extent of his condition remains unknown to the public.

Brawn, who worked with Schumacher on all seven of his world titles, said: "The family have chosen to conduct Michael's convalescence in private and I must respect that.

"There are encouraging signs and we are all praying every day that we see more of them. So it is difficult for me to say very much and respect the family's privacy.

"All I would say is there is a lot of speculation about Michael's condition. Most of it's wrong and we just pray and hope every day that we continue to see some progress and that one day we can see Michael out and about and recovered form his terrible injuries."

Soldato
If he is all slurred and cabbage-like (I say that with no intention to sound disrespectful) I really don't want to see that. He's one of my all time heroes and I just don't need to see him in such a state. His families wishes of privacy should always be upheld regardless. Even if it means we won't know how he is doing, which is frustrating, at least their requests are respected.

Man of Honour
I think its irresponsible and wrong of the press - she was pressed on why they are keeping it private and her words don't necessarily imply any change in fact the "made it very clear" bit tends to suggest otherwise.

Soldato
Yeah, I agree and hope you're right and that there's no deterioration. However, although his privacy has to be respected, I don't fully understand why she can't be more open about his condition. Whether he's stable, improving or getting worse, why won't she say?

V F

V F

Soldato
If he is all slurred and cabbage-like (I say that with no intention to sound disrespectful) I really don't want to see that. He's one of my all time heroes and I just don't need to see him in such a state. His families wishes of privacy should always be upheld regardless. Even if it means we won't know how he is doing, which is frustrating, at least their requests are respected.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

There’s absolutely no reason she can’t tell the media how he is. I think she’s contributing to her own misery somewhat.

For instance, it would stop the media hounding her if she just released a statement saying (as an example) “he’s able to talk but his mobility is very limited and doctors are predicting a very low chance of a full recovery kthnxbye”

I truly hope he gets well enough that we will see him talking to a camera at a GP weekend. A bit like you see Murray show up from time to time, to give a sound bite or do a short piece to camera. Obviously he’s almost certainly going to drive again but seeing him well enough to be in the paddock again, amongst the guys and on the pit wall would be a massive win... and I say that as someone who wished mechanical misery on his cars in the 90s :D

Soldato
There’s absolutely no reason she can’t tell the media how he is. I think she’s contributing to her own misery somewhat.

For instance, it would stop the media hounding her if she just released a statement saying (as an example) “he’s able to talk but his mobility is very limited and doctors are predicting a very low chance of a full recovery kthnxbye”

I truly hope he gets well enough that we will see him talking to a camera at a GP weekend. A bit like you see Murray show up from time to time, to give a sound bite or do a short piece to camera. Obviously he’s almost certainly going to drive again but seeing him well enough to be in the paddock again, amongst the guys and on the pit wall would be a massive win... and I say that as someone who wished mechanical misery on his cars in the 90s :D

That's very optimistic, but more likely you accidentally omitted the 'not' ;)

Soldato
I suspect the ‘something serious has happened’ is the skiing incident not something new.

Probably reporters taking a chance to misquote in the hope they will get a counter statement saying what the actual situation is. It’s quite clear they’re giving absolutely nothing away so I can’t see how his wife would have let that comment slip.

The whole thing is probably about keeping his legacy alive until his son reaches F1.

Back
Top Bottom