How much would you charge...?

Soldato
How much would you charge to put together a loop for a friend? Assuming they gave you all the components and wanted you to assemble a quality hardline loop for them? I don't want to rip my mate off, but at the same time I'm not sure he's fully aware of the work involved lol!

Associate
Depends on the friend. If it's one that's always wanting / expecting everyone to help for free / on the cheap then loads, but if it's one that would help you out when you're stuck then a couple Guinness' and chuck a few quids down on the pool table on Saturday afternoon :)

Soldato
OP
Yeah, he's not THAT close a friend... he wants to pay for it, and he's a mechanic who I've paid to fix my car before. I don't know how fair he was, but seemed reasonable.

Man of Honour
My going rate is usually a bottle of JD.

Yeah, he's not THAT close a friend... he wants to pay for it, and he's a mechanic who I've paid to fix my car before. I don't know how fair he was, but seemed reasonable.

In this case I'd make it a bit more than my usual as it's a fair bit of work.

Soldato
I'd want to watch you do it if you didn't mind as I've thought about it but don't like the thought of leaking, then I'd buy you something I knew you'd like for it, around the value of £20.

My going rate is usually a bottle of JD.

My thought exactly, Tesco have 700ml bottles at £15 atm! Get two a drink awhile doing it :D

Soldato
Just take payment in a few beers is the best way.Never no when you may need your friends help.

He did, and his friend charged him.

OP; What work needed doing and how much did he charge you? Work out if that was the going rate and start from there, if he charged you the going rate than charge him the going rate for this.

Soldato
OP
He did, and his friend charged him.

OP; What work needed doing and how much did he charge you? Work out if that was the going rate and start from there, if he charged you the going rate than charge him the going rate for this.

I don't think he did me any favours... it was going rate as I recall. As I say, he's not a close friend. This is just what I'm trying to find out, what someone would charge as a fair going rate to put together a WC build as I have no idea what would be fair, or if you'd just go on an hourly rate of £10/hour or something like that?

Soldato
I don't think he did me any favours... it was going rate as I recall. As I say, he's not a close friend. This is just what I'm trying to find out, what someone would charge as a fair going rate to put together a WC build as I have no idea what would be fair, or if you'd just go on an hourly rate of £10/hour or something like that?

If he charged you then I'd say £15 an hour is fair, think about how much IT "pros" cost and what you are doing isn't exactly mainstream stuff.

Soldato
OP
If he charged you then I'd say £15 an hour is fair, think about how much IT "pros" cost and what you are doing isn't exactly mainstream stuff.

Yes, definitely some skill involved, and he knows that hence him asking me to do it, plus the time factor of course.

I should say, I am not out to make a killing here or anything... obviously were circumstances different I wouldn't even be asking this.

£15/hour seems fair though... I think??

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends how complicated the loop is IMO.
Are you going to have to do a lot of fiddly bends, or will it mostly be a 90° kind of thing? Is there any custom modding involved?

Soldato
OP
Yes he wants hardline, which is fine... I think he's debating case at the moment, so that's going to determine how hard it is to actually do. He has an old one at the moment which only has space for a 120 and 240 rad, and he has GPU and CPU he wants in loop, both OC'd, so I'm suggesting he gets a case with more rad space just so he can run fans at a lower RPM with less noise, as he wants as quiet a system as possible.

Back
Top Bottom