Supplements the debate/discussion thread

Man of Honour
Are they all much of a muchness then?

Depending on what a person is consuming them for, not necessarily: sesame seeds are used to make tahini, and chia can be used as a sort of gelling agent

But if it is for t3h s00p4hf00dz0rs (which I arrogantly assumed it was) then yes: any seed you get in the supermarket (for eating) will be high in protein and "good" fatty acids... And there isn't much difference between them at all. Chia is just trendy at the moment, is marketed better and as a result has an amusingly high price tag relative to other seeds.

Soldato
Was omega 3 and protein content really but if the other seeds provide benefits can invest in them. Mainly be for chucking into meals so ideally minimal size/taste thay it doesn't interfere with general tastes.

Man of Honour
Was omega 3 and protein content really but if the other seeds provide benefits can invest in them. Mainly be for chucking into meals so ideally minimal size/taste thay it doesn't interfere with general tastes.

To be fair, the amount of that sort of thing required to make a substantive contribution to a diet would be pretty sizeable: if you think a teaspoonful is around 5-10g (at a complete guess), it will contain:

- 1-2g brotein
- 3-5g of fat (a smaller portion of which will be the omegas)
- a lot of fibre.

So you'd have to be chugging the stuff in big quantities to make a difference and - given the price and nutrition - sunflower kernels are a better deal.

Personally*, a cheaper way of cramming calories, brotein and fat is to go for a glass of milk. God-top milk, too. :)

*I am lactose intolerant and have to drink soya milk... But until a couple of years ago I drank regular milk and suffered the consequences.

Man of Honour
Have decided to add some hard gainer (from my protein) to my nutriblasts and a little bit less whey protein. Also adding various forms of milk to increase the calories too. Winter bulking :)

Soldato
For bulking I think "real" food is always the best. Whey protein for a top-up...but real food is where it's at if you want to add weight.

You could have just added sugar, oats and peanut butter to the nutriblast...?

Yep. That's real food, right there.

Of course, whey protein powder is a very cheap form of protein, so I can well understand it if you are on a budget or need the convenience of a quick protein shake, on the go.

My fave meal is (loads of) green vegetables (broccoli, brussel sprouts, peas), topped with brown rice and coconut oil. And on top of this, a protein source (canned fish, in my case).

These vegetables will last me 24 hours and I no longer have wheat grass powder, nutri green powder or any other green powder.

414c99bccd23026ccd4de44ac7365bff.png

Youngsters (those new to bodybuilding who are impressionable) need to be aware of the following trick which supplement companies use:
1, create a product (whether it works or not is irrelevant).
2, find some study which suggests that this product may help you have huge muscles.
3, get a bodybuilder (with big muscles), to say that he uses this supplement to get big/ripped and place loads of advertisements.
4, fool people into buying product - the big/ripped bodybuilder uses this product, so it must work...right?

What they don't tell you is that that bodybuilder actually got big by weight training, eating 5-10 meals of real food per day and took growth hormone, insulin and steroids. The supplement he is peddling is not the substance which got him big/ripped in the first place.

When I was a teenager, looking at all those bodybuilding magazines, I'd have loved someone to have given me the above advice. It would've saved me time/money.

Check this page out:
http://www.myprotein.com/athletes.list

How many of those people do you think got big/ripped by taking MyProtein supps?
Or were they already big/ripped/successful at their sport, before they ever ate/drank a MP supplement?

Soldato
It really comes down to things like your appetite and how many calories you're actually consuming - like a big guy who is also extremely active and therefore has a massive TDEE v.s. moderately active average-ish Joe for example - as past a certain point there's only so much high-volume-to-calorie whole food you can or want to consume before it gets a bit nauseating, and if you're getting a bunch of micronutrient dense food in already it's not going to make any difference if 10-15% of your intake ends up coming from low-volume-to-calorie food just to help you hit your calories.

Some people can just eat and eat and eat and have to be careful they don't end up on a dreamer bulk to fattysvile (which will happen regardless of where their calories are coming from), others pick at food at a snail's pace, don't enjoy the act of eating much and struggle to gain weight because they get feel full quickly, so things like liquid calories can be helpful when trying to reach a target in certain situations. If you ignore marketing hyperbole then things like the food supplements are a cheap way to buy bulk calories (whey is super versatile!) or get stuff like Omega 3 if you're not massively into fish which can be very useful, as opposed to 'supplement' supplements like test-boosters which are entirely a waste of money.

Associate
ADVICE REQUST GUYS PLEASE

Im after a green tea supplement to take daily. I have had this one in the past from the dreaded H&B: http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sh...ural-green-tea-extract-tablets-315mg-60003131

But assuming my protein is much cheaper I'm looking to order from them and have found this: http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/mega-green-tea-extract/10530148.html

Though the H&B one is 315mg and the MP one is 450mg, even when you work it out per mg the H&B one is far FAR cheaper with the penny sale which is now on.

Advice welcome :D

Associate
ADVICE REQUST GUYS PLEASE

Im after a green tea supplement to take daily. I have had this one in the past from the dreaded H&B: http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sh...ural-green-tea-extract-tablets-315mg-60003131

But assuming my protein is much cheaper I'm looking to order from them and have found this: http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/mega-green-tea-extract/10530148.html

Though the H&B one is 315mg and the MP one is 450mg, even when you work it out per mg the H&B one is far FAR cheaper with the penny sale which is now on.

Advice welcome :D

Unless I'm mistaken myprotein works out a lot cheaper per mg.

H&B - 200 tablets x 315mg / £16.99 = 3,708mg per £1
myprotein - 90 tablets x 450mg / (£10.49 * 70%) = 5,515mg per £1

Seems like a no brainer to me :p

Associate
Unless I'm mistaken myprotein works out a lot cheaper per mg.

H&B - 200 tablets x 315mg / £16.99 = 3,708mg per £1
myprotein - 90 tablets x 450mg / (£10.49 * 70%) = 5,515mg per £1

Seems like a no brainer to me :p

H&B have a penny sale on. Buy 1 get 1 for 1p.

So its 400 tablets x 315mg / £17.00 = 7,411mg per £1.

Back
Top Bottom