• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1440p Ultrawide experiences

Soldato
The black bars dont really bother me, i had a large wide screen projection tv for years when a lot of the channels weren't wide screen so i kinda got used them, then when the monitors starting going wide screen i had to get used to it again as i was still playing CS at 640x480.

Gotta say i didnt find any problems with the 21:9 aspect when i had my acer, i just didnt find it any more immersive than a normal monitor like most people seem to, i guess i probably just sit too far away for it to really effect me. Maybe when bigger versions come out they will sway me back, would have to be 4k now though as low pixel density just looks nasty after using this 4k screen for a while.

Last edited:
Associate
Great experience.Still have to take a step back in some games and appreciate the visual quality.I've been shot many a time in BF1 while drifting away in the visuals.

Last edited:
Soldato
DOOM is another game which works exceptionally well on 21:9, not just technically but from an immersion point of view.

Although if you want pure beauty, it has to be Ashes of the Singularity :)

Soldato
Recently gone 1440P wide with an Asus PG348Q. I think that 3440 x 1440 is the current single high end graphic card 'sweet spot' due to the pixel count matching up quite nicely at the moment with the power of a 1080GTX or Pascal Titan. Where as at 4k a Pascal Titan is only just sufficient for high details at high frame rates and for now were stuck at 60hz for 4k displays. Still a pretty expensive investment if your going for a Gysnc monitor... did look at OCUK when buying but they have gone a but mental with the 34"ROG pricing of late!

Last edited:
Associate
Colour me interested, was suprised when viewing an aspect and screen size to an 27 the ultra view is still the same height if not tiny bit more.

If a game only does 16:9 and you don't want to fiddle around, will the picture just be exactly the same as a 16:9 27" screen?

Soldato
Colour me interested, was suprised when viewing an aspect and screen size to an 27 the ultra view is still the same height if not tiny bit more.

If a game only does 16:9 and you don't want to fiddle around, will the picture just be exactly the same as a 16:9 27" screen?

Normally you can get most games working at the resolution, but yes if for whatever reason it will only work specifically at 16:9 then it will be the same as a 27" 16:9 screen. Height wise they are the same you just get the extra pixels going horizontally.

Soldato
Recently gone 1440P wide with an Asus PG348Q. I think that 3440 x 1440 is the current single high end graphic card 'sweet spot' due to the pixel count matching up quite nicely at the moment with the power of a 1080GTX or Pascal Titan. Where as at 4k a Pascal Titan is only just sufficient for high details at high frame rates and for now were stuck at 60hz for 4k displays. Still a pretty expensive investment if your going for a Gysnc monitor... did look at OCUK when buying but they have gone a but mental with the 34"ROG pricing of late!

4K gaming is a waste of time IMO. You need ridiculous levels of power to run with the same quality settings and the difference is extremely subtle once you're immersed in the game itself, especially ones with faster moving graphics.

Ultrawide makes a far more significant difference to experience and immersion than 4K 16:9 and, as you correctly state, it doesn't place the same demands on your hardware.

Associate
Normally you can get most games working at the resolution, but yes if for whatever reason it will only work specifically at 16:9 then it will be the same as a 27" 16:9 screen. Height wise they are the same you just get the extra pixels going horizontally.

Got all excited but been reading the x34a has a scanline issue :(, guess back to waiting again, x34p delayed.

Associate
Because of the very large space the base required for the x34 mine was a bit precariously balanced. This after about 6 months of use led it to being knocked to the ground and totally broken.
I then bought a 27 inch G-sync 16:9 and am much happier in every way with it. The fewer pixels needing to be supplied means my GTX 1080 is able to maintain a much higher frame rate, and I just like the ratio more than 21:9. I had previously been use to a 32 inch screen and I thought I would never want to go back to smaller, but I find the 27 inch just fine. I game further away than a desk position and the 21:9 gave me no sense of extra immersion.
Also I have two screens, and having to use software to manage two different ratios worked well, but it required management and it was an extra pain I no longer have.

I'm able to play GTAV with ultra grass, MSAA x2 and most settings at max, and largely maintain over 80fps. No chance with the X34, which often went below 60fps even with grass not on ultra.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Because of the very large space the base required for the x34 mine was a bit precariously balanced. This after about 6 months of use led it to being knocked to the ground and totally broken.

Thats not the fault of the monitor.

I didn't even consider using the stand when I bought mine...I just bought a cheap mount and I've never looked back.

dwq9v9ll.jpg

mkfnNDyl.jpg

4O3Byp5l.jpg

Soldato
Love my lg 34" super ultra wide, can't see me ever leaving super wide monitors. Did think about upgrading to a x34a so I can have gsync and 100hz but I think ill wait a year or two to see what else they can do for super wide monitors.

Soldato
do you guys know if the issues with the X34 are fixed with X34A?

What issues in particular?

Only things I notice is a bit of glow on dark loading screens, and a bit of coil whine at 100hz on certain screens, in fact the only time I've heard the coil whine is when I've got the Aida64 graph screen open and the monitor set to 100Hz.

Associate
Asus ultrawide fanboy checking in, its awesome.

the differences between the asus and x34a come down to, which stand do you prefer and the asus OSD being, just better, in every way owing to the nice little joystick. but that's basically it.

Permabanned
looking for some feedback on
FPS
Smoothness
Regrets?
anything you miss from 16:9

I've only had mine for about 4 weeks but the immediate issues I've noticed have been video playback, yes some stuff works with 3rd party software but it does lose some screen space making the videos look zoomed in, I own movies on Talk Talk TV but the software doesn't work there and the movie is 21:9 (ish) but it's letterboxed (WTF?) meaning loads of faffing around.

Most the games I've tried so far are okay but Skyrim and Fallout 4 are not.

Would I go back or do I regret going 21:9?

Absolutely not.

I have a 34" 3440x1440 freesync monitor and the Fury Tri-x performs admirably, Better than I thought it would.
I wouldn't recommend the 2560x1080 resolution at 34" or 35".
I had the Acer 35" model for a week or so and that resolution let it down, It may be fine on a 29" model but not bigger.

Permabanned
the glorious urin colour ips glow was plaguing my sample to the point that it was visible even during the day if the scenes were dark enough.

This is what my IPS Asus Dominator was like, All 4 corners had glow with the bottom 2 as you describe. The difference between that and my current IPS is night and day.

Back
Top Bottom