Setting up Pi-hole

Soldato
I'm following this guide

Got to this point.

IMG_20161105_133642_zpseaeykdwm.jpg

Earlier it hung up on iproute2 whatever that is but after a clean install of Raspian and going straight into this I'm now lost.

Please keep any help in laymans terms please... This is literally the first time I've gotten involved in Pi stuff or coding :)

Soldato
Can't really help much but i installed on a Pi2 the other day without any problems, i used Raspbian Jessie Lite as don't need the GUI plus the extra stuff with the normal version of Jessie

Little tip when your up and running if you need to change any of the settings when setting up use the Arrow keys then the Space bar to select

Associate
Does this run fast enough on a 512mb Pi1 model B?

I've got all 3 Pi models, but I'd rather keep the newer ones as media centres.

I'm running it on an early 256mb model b without any issues. As long as you've got quick network connection to the RPi (don't use WiFi) it should all just work.

Associate
Me too. Dug out my old model B a couple of weeks ago and installed Raspbian Jessie Lite. Remoted in via SSH and ran the command from the Pi-hole website. Installation went completely smoothly and it has been serving my whole network since. Absolutely no noticable impact to performance.

Wish I'd found this a long time ago...

Soldato
Can you whitelist domains with pi-hole?

TV streaming sites now have ad-block sensing software that you have to disable/whitelist in order to play content.

Associate
Installed this last night, I still prefer the Adblock Plus solution.

With this you just get blank placeholders which still have links to ad sites on them.

I find Pi-Hole useful as it is a network wide solution, so I don't need multiple adblock installs on my desktop, tablet, phone, etc.
The output can be a bit untidy as it does not alter the html to tidy the hidden adverts, but it's not unusable.

Can you whitelist domains with pi-hole?

TV streaming sites now have ad-block sensing software that you have to disable/whitelist in order to play content.

Yeah, there are custom whitelist and blacklists where you can allow/block domains.

Associate
Installed this last night, I still prefer the Adblock Plus solution.

With this you just get blank placeholders which still have links to ad sites on them.

Funnily enough you can clean up those placeholders by using ublock or similar in your browser, along with Pi-hole. I know it might seem pointless to use both but Pi-hole does great for all the mobile devices etc. and I use Ublock origin on my main desktop to make things look nicer there.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Just installed myself. Works great! Installed Rapsbian Jesse, booted into Pixel by default and changed it to CLI. Rebooted and then used the command and it's done. Easy.

I had trouble trying to do it was Raspbian lite yesterday, crashed out like the above.

Soldato
OP
How are you finding it?

Made much difference? Might sound daft but once it is set up... then what? Leave the PI on all the time? Does it need setting up if the PI is switched off and will the internet still work fine without the PI?

Associate
I've been running it for a while on an old Raspberry Pi 1 (512MB) and have been pretty impressed. On my PC I still run UBlock Origin but for mobile devices route them through the Pi, which is left on all the time running headless. In fact I just updated Pi-Hole to V2.9.5 today.

I found Pi-Hole by accident but before I set it up was getting increasingly annoyed with aggressive adverts on Android Chrome. I had a few instances where a webpage has taken control of the handset and displayed an ad full screen. And I don't even go particularly dodgy websites. This has stopped all that nonsense and I'm pretty impressed.

Associate
How are you finding it?

Made much difference? Might sound daft but once it is set up... then what? Leave the PI on all the time? Does it need setting up if the PI is switched off and will the internet still work fine without the PI?

My RPi running Pi-Hole is next to my router and just sits there running 24/7.

In your router configuration set the primary DNS to be the IP of your Pi-Hole and set the secondary DNS to be an external DNS like your ISP, Google, OpenDNS, etc.
This should mean that if your Pi-Hole stops working then it should not stop your Internet access as the secondary DNS will be used instead.

Back
Top Bottom