Spec me a laptop for University

Associate
What are the benefits of an SSD for googling/netfilx/uni work?

Boot times I understand, but what else?

It woould be adding cost for the sake of it, no?

Associate
Probably an important thing to ask is what sort of course the OP's daughter is doing. Is it just going to be Word/Excel/PowerPoint or are there going to be any special requirements like video editing, graphic design, programming, etc...

Soldato
An SSD is crucial, if you are going to be spending any money on a new laptop it has to have an SSD.

For documents, netflix, browsing everything will be so much faster and smoother. If you are like me (uni student) you will throw your laptop around and having an SSD has probably saved me more times than I know! They are more robust and with no spinning parts, less chance of failure over their old and slow brothers!

Caporegime
In that case the only noticeable difference the SSD will have will be in boot times.

Loading documents, PDF files, research etc. It will be much quicker in day to day tasks, not just boot time.

Loads of times I open up large PDF files at work,and it takes an age. On an SSD that just won't happen.

Soldato
OP
Actually, could some kind soul Google "HP Pavilion 15-au078sa 15.6" Laptop - Gold" and look at the offer from the retailer who sound like they make indian food?

Is the i5 6200U a showstopper with that paltry core clock speed?

Associate
Whatever you buy, ensure you setup an automatic cloud backup service to backup all of your daughters documents.
Dead laptop = lots of tears when thousands of hours of work are lost!

Back
Top Bottom