Gear Thread - Pics

Associate
I would highly recommend a boss me-50 or any of the more recent versions. Very very easy to use and lots of fun :)

Well i had a nose down in the music department in the school i work in as i do the PA for concerts etc and they had a Boss ME-70. Had a play with it over a week and i realised i'll just stick with the gain and re erb dial on my amp.
But have managed to learn all but the solos in Death to all but metal and Crazy train.

Soldato
Does anyone own or has played on a yamaha thr5 or thr10?

Getting sick of the lack of sustain and generally mediocre tone of my Line 6 Spider II 75W. Would the yamaha be a decent step up? I'm only a bedroom player, and still for the foreseeable, so figure the 5W would be enough and the 10W plenty. And I don't want to spend much, ideally get £80ish for my Line 6 and put another 100 or so towards so budget roughly 200 quid. Willing to go second hand but I can't find many of these, a good sign if people aren't selling them on?!

All I'm looking for is good clean and overdriven tones. I know at this price point it's not going to be anything special, but my current amp is really quite underwhelming, especially with overdrive or distortion effects.

Any other recommendations?

Cheers!

Associate
Does anyone own or has played on a yamaha thr5 or thr10?

Getting sick of the lack of sustain and generally mediocre tone of my Line 6 Spider II 75W. Would the yamaha be a decent step up? I'm only a bedroom player, and still for the foreseeable, so figure the 5W would be enough and the 10W plenty. And I don't want to spend much, ideally get £80ish for my Line 6 and put another 100 or so towards so budget roughly 200 quid. Willing to go second hand but I can't find many of these, a good sign if people aren't selling them on?!

All I'm looking for is good clean and overdriven tones. I know at this price point it's not going to be anything special, but my current amp is really quite underwhelming, especially with overdrive or distortion effects.

Any other recommendations?

Cheers!

Don't know about the other amps as I'm pretty new to all this stuff. I'm a bedroom player and was recommended the Orange Crush 20RT buy a friend who does all this music stuff for a job as all i was looking for was a good clean and overdrive sound. Check out Andertons youtube for video reviews on amps etc.

Also just got this from ebay

Last edited:
Associate
87dbe7ee13.jpg

My new babies. Early Christmas present to from the Mrs.

Orange Dark Terror + Randall RD112 Cab with a V30.

Man of Honour
Took delivery of this today but I did spend 3 hours helping to put it together.
My best mate was horrified I was going to cut into my prized 1978 American Fender Stratocaster to fit a MIDI pickup so he decided to collect a few parts he had hanging about and make me a new one :)
Those with eagle eyes will notice the MIDI pickup between the humbucker & bridge with two lower buttons that change presets on my guitar synth.
It still works as a normal guitar.

fendermidi2.jpg

Caporegime
Time to install a proper 4 Pole Pickup for my 1972 Music Master Bass

kDV2Nuql.jpg

Fender sneakily used a Pickup cover to disguise the fact The musicmaster Bass had a 6 pole guitar pickup in it. Making the sound weak

GL7fscYl.jpg

RVkbEPRl.jpg

y6BJ7Fal.jpg

Notice the 6 pole original Pickup..(fender reusing guitar pickups to save money)

M6U7ayKl.jpg

New Hotter 4 pole pickup. One would never tell over stock...Only the sound :D
w3hFxp7l.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
is that a Roland GR-20

Can you make a video of it in action pls.

https://www.roland.com/global/products/gr-20/

Says its discontinued....\dont they make them anymore?

My Dad has got two GR-20s but they are useless compared to the GR-55 so don't buy the GR-20.
The GR-55 has got great tracking but it also comes with COSM guitar sounds so I can emulate virtually any guitar sound I want. So for instance I can have a Guild acoustic with a Hammond Organ layer behind it for Comfortably Numb while the keyboard player has got a string sound.
Another example is Shine On You Crazy Diamond - I'm providing a single G bass strings sound while the keyboard player does something else and the guitarist is doing a Gilmour. I then go into the famous 4 note sequence with the proper sound, I come out of that with a sound called Little Wing but perfectly suits the backing sequence & verses and then I get a solo where I'm playing with a Stevie Ray Vaughan sound.
I've now abandoned my Blackstar combo and I go into a powered Mackie PA speaker - what a sound.

My lead guitarist has abandoned his Marshall TSL120 & Fender Custom reverb (same as SRV) and gone over to a Blackstar ID60. He reckons it's the best amp he has ever bought and thanked me the other night for putting me on to it.

There are loads of videos on You Tube of the GR-55, I watched them all before I bought one. It truly is the best music toy I've ever bought and has changed my stage use.

Last edited:
Soldato
To say im excited is a massive understatement if everything goes to plan this :

16244165_10154512643518558_659128278_n.jpg

Will be mine in 4-6 weeks :D

Sourced for me from NAMM 2017 by the amazing guys at Drum Shop in Newcastle

Soldato
Anyone got any experience with using Marshall DSLs? Looking to maybe getting one to go with my newly arriving Gibson LP. Currently using a Vox Valvetronix VT50 and think that would be a good upgrade.

Soldato
Well, the new Gibson Les Paul Classic arrived today, its beautiful, aside from one tiny flaw:

IMG_20170128_110252_zpstc1fsx05.jpg

Gutted doesn't even come close... :( Going to arrange for a return. No idea how it may have happened. The outer and inner boxes were in perfect condition and the hard case was fine with no obvious impact marks. I just don't understand but it obviously occurred in transit.

I may just have a quiet little cry. :(

Edit: Actually, I'm pretty sure how it happened. Because it was a store display model, the main box was already opened so they overpacked it with another box, which wasn't marked as fragile. It then went off and got thrown into the back of a van and the weight of the body has obviously broken the neck.

Edit 2: Shop in question has arranged pickup and promised full refund thankfully.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone got any experience with using Marshall DSLs? Looking to maybe getting one to go with my newly arriving Gibson LP. Currently using a Vox Valvetronix VT50 and think that would be a good upgrade.

I had a DSL for a while and it sounded pretty good to be honest, it only does one thing well though and that's the crunch... I upgraded to a blackstar series one head not too long after, and tried out the orange rocker too, they both blew the marhsall out the water for me in that dirty tone, and the blackstar sounded so so so much nicer with cleans than the marshall did.

however my blackstar is sitting there now not doing a lot as I upgraded to a mesa rectoverb which is by far, the best amp I have ever owned. but I guess you get what you pay for. it depends what youre after but in that price bracket id advise trying out the blackstars, theyre very good value for money at the moment too as the market has dropped.

Soldato
Ouch mate. Any update on a replacement yet? Do you have any more photos of the guitar? It looks a lovely colour, what is it? I don't think I've seen that colour in the catalogue before.

Its a fantastic colour. Sent it back but there was no replacement in stock. Have decided to save up for the Standard instead, in blue. I bit sad though as the ocean green colour was stunning with a plain top. If I could get a standard in ocean green it would be the perfect guitar.

Soldato
Its a fantastic colour. Sent it back but there was no replacement in stock. Have decided to save up for the Standard instead, in blue. I bit sad though as the ocean green colour was stunning with a plain top. If I could get a standard in ocean green it would be the perfect guitar.
Shame to hear they didn't have the Ocean Green in stock. :( Hopefully the blue Standard is just as nice.

Back
Top Bottom