Poll: Game of The Year 2016

Vote for your OcUK Game of the Year 2016

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
2016 not done yet but...

LOL @ The Division posters, game is not even in the top 30, never mind top 5.

Based on average scoring its Blood & Wine by a quite a way and its a blinking DLC.

Stardew Valley, Owlboy, Inside, BF1, Titanfall 2, Rise of the tomb raider, all look like they will be in with a shout. Over

I would have voted for Warhammer or Stellaris but neither of the games have the level of content needed to win although the core game is solid. Warhammer needed a dozen DLC.

Personally, I think Inside will sweep the awards and its not a question of 'if', its just how many awards it will win.

Last edited:
Underboss
Not sure this year hasn't been great for game releases for me.

In terms of most hours played for me it's - The Division
In terms of most enjoyment so far it's - Battlefield 1

Not sure either if those could be classed as GOTY but I don't enjoy a lot of the other games people have listed.

jkb

jkb

Associate
The game from 2016 I have enjoyed most is Doom. Just starting Dishonoured 2 and it seems good so far.

Edit. How could I forget Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Maybe because it was so short!

Associate
This isn't an easy one as there were no true classics for me this year.

The best thing I've played is Witcher 3: Blood & Wine but as it's an expansion I don't think it qualifies so here goes a sort of top 5 in terms of hours played and enjoyment had from said games.

1. Dark Souls 3 - Not completely perfect but I've sunk a lot of time into this and enjoyed playing several of the classes to get the most out of it.

2. Doom - Easily the most fun I've had on a game this year. Relentless action from start to finish. Fast, fluid, and most of all damn enjoyable.

3. Uncharted 4 - Could have been a classic but the last few combat heavy chapters and weak final boss fight dulled the experience somewhat. Up until then I felt the pacing was perfect.

4. Shadow Warrior 2 - As with Doom, a real blast from start to finish. Another one I enjoyed all the way through.

5. Forza Horizon 3 - Loved this one, and it's only further down the list because of the PC optimization being crap. Still plays fairly nice but it could have been ported much better. Great fun nonetheless.

These games for me have been the best of a fairly underwhelming bunch.

Caporegime

Already somewhat addressed all the above so lets just leave it to agree to disagree :p

Like I said, myself and the 10+ others that were playing on release day had no issues, servers errors aside... I don't think any of us encountered the backpack error, the only niggles we had were;

- stats being messed up
- dark zone cheaters
- one if none bug, simply switch to another talent solved this

And no, the game is considerably better now in terms of gameplay balance, even more so with 1.4. There might still be exploits/glitches but I'm not one these people to go looking for them.

Personally give me those annoying "gameplay" niggles over crashing, poor performance for mediocre graphics any day of the week.

Rise of the tomb raider probably would have been my GOTY but, it is the worst game to ever be installed on my system, on my system, it ran awfully, didn't matter what settings and to top it all of, the crashing, couldn't play for more than 5 minutes.

Same goes for mafia 3, could have been my GOTY but once again, awful performance for terrible graphics with extremely repetitive gameplay.

I won't disagree about unity or bf 4 (still was good fun that when the servers or game wasn't crashing....) :D

There was a story? The one that went "Oh a virus? Shoot EVERYTHING!". Not sure there was any Tom Clancy in it but the name on the box.

Division was very pretty and actually felt pretty good to play but what an awful grind. Nothing but endless grind.

Was glad to leave it behind, got my money's worth but no GOTY.

Yes and the story was the best ever told! :D

As I said, it was "decent" :p I thought the videos under your inventory/intel were superbly done and added to the overall story.

I just loved the extra attention to detail in the graphics/physics:

Soldato
OP
Did you attempt to ask a moderator for one?
Did you make a list of options?
Or are you going to do nothing and be lazy?
Or do you really want to be sarcastic and trigger me which will end up in nothing but pointless bickering in which I will win every single "argument"

I'm asking for people's opinions and am genuinely interested to see if there's any gems that I've missed this year. I couldn't care less about a poll, although I would have created one retrospectively if I was able to, seeing as you had asked about one. Cos that's just the kind of guy I am.

Now that you've stamped your feet, I couldn't care less about a poll. Or you. Or your opinion. Or winning any "argument".

Man of Honour
2016 not done yet but...

LOL @ The Division posters, game is not even in the top 30, never mind top 5.

Based on average scoring its Blood & Wine by a quite a way and its a blinking DLC.

Stardew Valley, Owlboy, Inside, BF1, Titanfall 2, Rise of the tomb raider, all look like they will be in with a shout. Over

I would have voted for Warhammer or Stellaris but neither of the games have the level of content needed to win although the core game is solid. Warhammer needed a dozen DLC.

Personally, I think Inside will sweep the awards and its not a question of 'if', its just how many awards it will win.

But I dont really understand why you are loling at the people who say The Division, the OP was very clear that it was what is YOUR game of the year, not what do you think will win the game of year award from magazine/website X

So surely the people who are saying the Division are simply answering the OPs question correctly

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I never get why people disagree with personal choices. It is like telling me I love sprouts when I actually don't but because some do, I am doing it wrong. Each to their own I say and if you enjoy a game that some see as ****, does it matter?

+1

Many things are subjective, but some people can't seem to get their heads around that. Everyone thinks, feels and their needs are slightly different.

A recent debate about monitors comes to mind where some would swear by 21:9 being the best :rolleyes::p:D

Associate
The division

Its a game that grows on you for sure, im about 10 days playtime now and still want more, ubisoft have had a great year and watch dogs 2 looks great, hope they release a great pc port.

Probably Hitman in the end for me, but these other games definitely compete for the top spot:

DOOM
Titanfall 2
Civ 6 (though I dont really fully judge Civ games fully until all their DLCs are out :D)
Forza Horizon 3

Disappointments (not necessarily "bad" per say) :

Dark Souls 3
Shadow Warrior 2
Owlboy
Mankind Divided
XCOM 2
(Dishonoured 2 will prob be added to this list from what I have heard so far :()

Soldato
But I dont really understand why you are loling at the people who say The Division

Because, as someone who bought the game, its still broken and still in beta. I think there are people out there who are so blinded by the need for validation that their time was well spent grinding gear they will overlook games that were right from the start and actually deserve the plaudits for getting it right.

When its 'done' reviewers and players should return to the game and re-review it based on the assumption that its the finished article.

Because, as someone who bought the game, its still broken and still in beta. I think there are people out there who are so blinded by the need for validation that their time was well spent grinding gear they will overlook games that were right from the start and actually deserve the plaudits for getting it right.

When its 'done' reviewers and players should return to the game and re-review it based on the assumption that its the finished article.

Speaking from the pov of someone who plays the game daily, the above is not the reason I play. I play because it is good fun. I meet up with my friends and we all play together. It's a lot more fun when you have friends and are part of a team. (maybe those who don't play it any more don't have friends?)

It's not all about getting better stuff although that is a part of it, it's more about the team work and beating annoying rogues.

The game is not bug free but is better since the last update, it's not buggy enough to prevent playing and enjoying the game.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Which is all very valid and explains why it isnt the game of the year for you but for some people it WILL be their favourite game of the year and as such their saying so is entirely valid.

As I say, the question asked by the OP was what is your game of the year and thats a question which by its very definition has no right or wrong answer, no answer any more or any less valid than any other answer.

My answer to the question is BF1 or Civ6, havent decided which yet but I see many in this thread mentioning Inside and Doom (I have Doom but maybe didnt give it a fair crack of the whip and I havent tried this Inside game) , I think this thread is probably most useful as a tool to provide some potential games to play before the year ends

Associate
Now that you've stamped your feet, I couldn't care less about a poll. Or you. Or your opinion. Or winning any "argument".

Quite staggering petulance and a complete and utter mis-reading of your post and indeed your intentions. One has to wonder how such people manage in the real world...

Associate
Why are folks getting so heavy and abusive about a poll? Its really something to get ones knickers in a twist about? Leave the guy be, he just asked a question. We are heading into and towards the season of good will and really people should know better and be less abusive. I'm not quite sure how it would even work as surely there are hundreds of titles that could be chosen?

Unfortunately 2016 has been a tad meh for me and I've spent my time mainly playing games released in previous years.

Its going to be a slightly obscure choice from me, but Skyrim Special Edition. Simply because it unlocks the potential for far greater modding capacity for one of my favourite games of all time. I've already seen the 64 bit engine handling a battle with hundreds of npc's. And it was free!

Forza was good, but its awful port on launch takes it off any list for GOTY.

Back
Top Bottom