Setting up Pi-hole

Associate
Thanks for highlighting this. I've just set it up on my unused Raspberry Pi 1 (512MB). Flawless installation and its working really well.

Soldato
I decided I want to have a go with this, just ordered my first Pi with case, power supply and 16Gb card. Should come tomorrow and I'll have a go installing Pi-Hole, I can always play with other things too if I get into it.

Soldato
OP
Sorry guys I'm still pratting about with the setup... @ 0:48 seconds in the video in the OP where they change the static DNS... Am I on the right page?

bt_zpsvsbmupeq.png

The Pi is asking if I want to use my current network settings as a static address.
IP address: 192.168.1.76/24
Gateway: 192.168.1.254

Any help much appreciated :)

Associate
Don't change the DHCP server address range. Just the first DNS server address in the DHCP settings of your router. If any devices have a static IP manually assigned then their primary DNS server address will need to be changed to the Pihole address too.

Soldato
Hummmmm. Not having much success with this.

I've installed it on my Pi and i have the IP set as the DNS server in my router. My devices show this as the DNS server correctly, so the settings have fed through.

However, it is blocking no ads. What am I missing?

From the Admin page:

7,331 DNS queries today
0 Ads blocked today

Don
If you log into Pi-Hole, what does it say on the left?

9DXiqjI.png

If it says 'Enable' like this, then you currently have it Off

Click Enable.

Status in top left should change to 'Active'

Don
This is all I did on my Pi..

Downloaded Jess Lite from here.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Used Win32DiskImager to write the image.

Booted the Pi.

logged in

passwd to change the default password.
sudo apt-get update to get the latest update list
sudo apt-get upgrade to get the latest updates
sudo apt-get upgrade-dist to get the OS update (won't be one at the moment..)

raspi-config once in this menu, I enabled SSH, so I can access the Pi over Kitty/Putty and do away with keyboard and screen from it.

Told my router to see it as 10.0.0.2 (my router is 10.0.0.1), for neatness :)

Rebooted Pi

Ran this..

curl -L https://install.pi-hole.net | bash

This installs Pi-Hole, I let it set itself as 10.0.0.2 static.

Now I went into my router settings and I set the WAN DNS as 10.0.0.2 (primary), 8.8.8.8 (secondary).

I wouldn't set the DHCP DNS as the Pi-Hole, might get some odd things happening.

Soldato
Good stuff.

Ran pihole -g to update the block list and I am now blocking 103,809 domains. :)

With regards to the DNS settings, I've set the DHCP DNS to use the Pi-Hole too. I'll turn that off for now then.

Commissario
Heh, I seem to have kicked this all off with my initial post in the "Items you have purchased" thread and the Pi thread in here a few weeks ago.

I've just installed this on a Pi-Zero today to free up the Pi3 and it's working really well. The web interface isn't fully loading but a quick word with the developer has told me that it's because each graph needs to parse the whole log so it can get the statistics and there's a time limit which the Zero isn't man enough to deal with. They're working on it but the bottom line is that at the moment I can't get all the fancy graphs although the actual ad blocker is working well.

There's a donate button on the website, I felt strongly enough about this to bung a donation over this evening.

Soldato
I've just installed this on a Pi-Zero today to free up the Pi3 and it's working really well.

I guess if this can run on the Pi-Zero then I'll have no trouble running it on my Pi 1. Its currently on my Pi 2 which I could then use for something else.

Soldato
I have just set it up on a Pi 1. It was pretty slow to install, frankly, but now it's on there I don't really see any performance issues with my network.

Has anyone managed to get it working as an IPv6 DNS server?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You guys running heatsinks? My RPi 3 is chugging along at 50C :p

(Solely running Pi-hole on Jessie lite in the official case)

Back
Top Bottom