Ebay hardware selling

Associate
Hello guys,

I would really appreciate any advice for a newbie seller on ebay.
I am trying to flog my old pc parts( taking space at home) but i am very cautious with ebay policy, they seems to be on buyers side most of the time.
All my hardware in is perfect condition and i don't like to be left out of pocket by cowboy buyer. I would appreciate any advice.

Caporegime
As a seller personally I find eBay far too risky. I believe the buyer can issue a dispute upto 6 months from buying the item nowadays and it's very hard to defend as a seller.

The auction and PayPal fees are substantial too.

Gumtree is a better option for local sales.

Soldato
If you must sell on ebay:

1. Cash on collection, if possible.
2. Photograph everything from your hardware right up to the packaged item.
3. Record serial numbers, mark using a UV pen to be sure.
4. Show images in the listing with serial numbers and detailed images of items.
5. Send via a tracked and insured post if items are expensive.

Members market?

Associate
OP
Yes i was thinking about members market but like Tom_e mentioned it will take me couple of years to reach 1000 posts :)
Will try gumtree around London area, might be lucky enough.

Caporegime
Don't sell on eBay - best advice you'll ever get.;)

This. It's full of morons, especially when selling hardware. My last experience with this was when I sold a 750ti, it went for £86 in the end on a Thursday. I got a message from the winning bidder who then asked to pay on Tuesday. I reluctantly agreed because I'm such a wonderful person but on Tuesday I got a message saying "hi can u cancel this" and that was it. Wasted almost a week, and this isn't a one off, it's the reason I don't sell on ebay any more because the risk of having some dumb mouth breather trying their luck is too great.

I list stuff on Gumtree and it sells when it sells, cash in hand or gtfo.

Associate
OP
This. It's full of morons, especially when selling hardware. My last experience with this was when I sold a 750ti, it went for £86 in the end on a Thursday. I got a message from the winning bidder who then asked to pay on Tuesday. I reluctantly agreed because I'm such a wonderful person but on Tuesday I got a message saying "hi can u cancel this" and that was it. Wasted almost a week, and this isn't a one off, it's the reason I don't sell on ebay any more because the risk of having some dumb mouth breather trying their luck is too great.

I list stuff on Gumtree and it sells when it sells, cash in hand or gtfo.

When you sell for cash where do you normally meet up? In public places for safety?i wouldn't wanna be stabbed for 8GB of RAM.

Associate
When you sell for cash where do you normally meet up? In public places for safety?i wouldn't wanna be stabbed for 8GB of RAM.

Or even WITH 8GB stick of RAM.

I'd say try Gumtree first.

No great harm in listing on ebay and specifying collection only and cash only, and that will offer you a greater audience but without some of the hassle, people will still try to buy and pay through Paypal and then ask you to post, so make sure you list for a higher price on Ebay to discourage people from buying right away, because you want them to make you an offer or contact you, so add something in your description like "Open to offers" or "Happy for people to come and view the item" which is a good way to start a discussion about cash payment etc.

Associate
The problem I find with ebay these days is that it's focused more towards the bulk buying market rather than private sellers.

If you sell 1000 items and have issue with 10, you're doing alright. If you sell a single item and get scammed, you're buggered.

Back
Top Bottom