The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Man of Honour
So totally tempted to merge this back into the main thread just for drama :p

What kind of time of night do ppl Zwift? I normally prefer to do my turboing straight after work but if there's a big group thing I might join one night.

Soldato
TR session tonight, failed miserably as trying to sort out my set up. May have to look at Zwift as I think I get bored far too easily. Will see once I get the TV etc set up properly.

Man of Honour
What's up with your setup?

I'm sure you've already done Sufferfest and the like but recently I tried one for the first time in ages and I'd forgotten how much more fun they are than just TR by itself.

Soldato
What's up with your setup?

I'm sure you've already done Sufferfest and the like but recently I tried one for the first time in ages and I'd forgotten how much more fun they are than just TR by itself.

Nothing, but I need to adjust it, too close to the TV tonight, just needs tweaking. May look at that, maybe if I can get something that keeps me entertained will be able to put up with TR for longer, was the first of the year though, so usually takes me a couple to get in the mindset.

Soldato
OP
So totally tempted to merge this back into the main thread just for drama :p

What kind of time of night do ppl Zwift? I normally prefer to do my turboing straight after work but if there's a big group thing I might join one night.

Haha DRAMA!

I do it at mixed times, often will depend when a race is. Tonight I did 8:30 which didn't leave me enough time to eat dinner first and settle, so I had a pizza for lunch :D Got me through.
Monday night I did it at 11:30pm as that's the only time I had... I like to try and get some dinner in me, have an hour, then get an hour in, if I can.

Soldato
OP
EVR Cat C was decent. Was pushing tonight, unlike last night. Averaged about 265W and HR was averaging 167, so was going some.
There was a group of 8 riders that shot off at the beginning and I couldn't touch them. But yet again, I was too quick for the group behind, so ended up sat in the middle between 2 packs. In the end the front 8 were about 1min30 ahead of me (I think?) and the group behind me were 1 min behind me. Closest person was 8 secs ahead, who sprinted the finish and I didn't fancy the chase ha

I am hoping I get a top 10, but we will see as the results come in. Quite pleased either way, I thought I'd get smashed.

Soldato
OP
Go to the mobile link Zwift app, press the event tile, pick an event, click the +.

When you load Zwift on your computer, ride as normal and when you are in, you'll see a "Join Event" button bottom left. Click it when you're ready before the event, and you'll get put at a start line on a trainer, so you can spin it out a bit warming up until the race starts and then you're off. Easy.

Associate
Go to the mobile link Zwift app, press the event tile, pick an event, click the +.

When you load Zwift on your computer, ride as normal and when you are in, you'll see a "Join Event" button bottom left. Click it when you're ready before the event, and you'll get put at a start line on a trainer, so you can spin it out a bit warming up until the race starts and then you're off. Easy.

Perfect thanks for that, think I'll give one a try tomorrow (if theres one on!)

Soldato
OP
You can create a race series... I, and many others, use www.zwiftpower.com to see the races/ results. There is a calendar that powers/ feeds this and I have access to add stuff, but if you want it to be a proper event module driven event (where it auto turns, has a start and finish/ leaderboard etc.) you can email [email protected] and he'll take all your details and get it setup for you.

Would be sweet to do an OCUK Social or something, once a week? You can just have a ~2.5w/kg limit on it (doesn't actually limit anything, just sets people's expectation.

Soldato
I'll always try and ride after a meal, the only times I won't are the weekend morning fasted stuff or just easy rides after work until dinner is ready. Quite enjoy an afternoon ride on the weekend after lunch but generally won't ride at night then.

During the week I'm working 8am-5pm, with cycling commute that's 6.30am alarm (so not much chance of pre-work turbo!) and home around 5.45pm. With dog walk and evening meal that's 7pm at the earliest I can ride, but I find that usually too soon after a meal so you won't find me on the turbo much before 7.15pm!
The new app with the FE-C connection really interests me - I'm probably going to start a couple of months sub (while Zwift is free for 2 as part of Strava Premium) to try it out :)
So..can you create Zwift clubs? We should make an OcUK one or something.
You can't, yet. I know they talked about it during the Beta stage but I've heard no more about it and not spotted much about it on their forums. Would be good to have a development 'roadmap' but I'm also certain there are many 'secret' projects they're working on they don't want their competitors to know about. One of the problems with building such an ecosystem - they have many smaller/slightly different competitors looking to get an edge over them!

For now they're concentrating on Zwift Running and the VR side of things. I can see them teaming up with a developer to produce specific VR/sports hardware as there's nothing even remotely like it at the moment.

There was a listing on lowcadence but it's moved to meetopia and you have to register to see it now. :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
https://www.strava.com/activities/777866493

This mornings TBR Handicap race - first proper zwift race for me and I think I got 2nd!!! Waiting for offical results still

Good short race - basically round london and up box hill. Everyone has to enter their FTP and weight and then organisers calculate a "notional" weight for each rider so that in theory the whole group should ride about the same. I got 111kg (normally 88kg)

Pace from the off was wild - clinging on to the 3rd group and then eventually 2 and 3rd group came together. Bottom of box hill and i just churned a steady rhythm all the way up around 250/60W. Just started picking people off 1 by 1. Went over the top in 2 or 3 rd place and manage to hang on for 2nd I think!

Great fun event - very friendly.

Downside is that zwift reckons my ftp is now up from 227 to 254!!! which means next week's race I'll get even more of a handicap...... Chuffed to bits all the same.

EDIT - 1st PLACE!!!!! OMG - so pleased with that......

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
FFS I've been bumped down to 6th! Those top three were pushing way more than 3.19w/kg the entire thing. Some sort of witchcraft going on there man... They were pushed to B and now back in C...

Whatever, I enjoyed my minor small time in 3rd place. Hmmph.

Soldato
EDIT - 1st PLACE!!!!! OMG - so pleased with that......
Awesome result, well done! :D
Whatever, I enjoyed my minor small time in 3rd place. Hmmph.
Pfffft! Rubbish, there must be a way you can dispute the automatic promotion then?

Guy I sold my kinetic trainer to finished 5th in CAT B of your race - Phil Wilks. He's got a KICKR and bought the Road Machine off me as he wanted a solid dumb trainer to travel with. Have a feeling he'll be testing the strength of it more than I ever could! ;)

4w/kg for an hour at 65kg bodyweight sounds darn powerful, but it's under 300W due to the low weight! :o

Back
Top Bottom