Had an oculus demo today and...

Soldato
I had 30 minutes on it which was great, I tried 2 games (one of which was the climb, made me shake at the knees), however the most jarring thing was being able to see the pixels in the display, it immediately broke most immersion in the game I had. I was really interested in it but seemingly having that little of a resolution made the pixels stand out way too much. Is that normal? Does the vive suffer with the same thing? I'm guessing it'll be a few iterations down the line before there's any chance of having a high enough resolution to not see the pixels in the display?

Fun experience, but I don't know if it's just me that found the low resolution that off-putting?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Fun experience, but I don't know if it's just me that found the low resolution that off-putting?

I'm the same.

Test drove the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift at college and decided the time wasn't right for that kind kind of investment, so decided to get the Gear VR goggles for my S7 Edge instead. For £50 I can accept the limitations and still have some VR fun (esp as I got Elite Dangerous working on it).

VR is gonna have to try a lot harder to get me to part with £600+.

Associate
You really need to experience some good motion control room scale games to start seeing the benefit and potential of VR. The pixel density issue becomes something you look past very quickly, as is the simplistic graphics.

Asa

Asa

Associate
If you can afford VR go for it and enjoy it. We are a long way off 4k 90fps+ graphics cards at affordable prices.

I don't think you need to render at the higher resolution in this case. A 4k panel displaying a 1080p picture would still have way less screen door, which is seemingly the real issue.

Hopefully 4k screens with low persistence and high refresh rates are closer and more affordable than 4k90 GPUs.

Soldato
OP
I was just reading up (didn't know the screen door effect terminology) and apparently the PSVR has basically none, whilst rendering at a lower resolution? So it's potentially not even a resolution issue, just how they've developed the technology.

Don
The PSVR does indeed have less screen-door effect but the lower resolution is very noticeable. I tried my friend's PSVR at the weekend and I could tell it wasn't running as high as my Rift.

However, the PSVR headset itself is a much better design and is much more comfortable to wear. The tracking was nowhere near as accurate as that with the Rift and Vive though.

If I was entering this scene right now and wanted a VR experience that was good and simple, I would absolutely buy PSVR over the Rift or Vive. There is more content and it just feels like a more polished (although inferior) setup.

Soldato
all it would take to remove screen door would be some form of diffuser between the pixels to smudge the light from the pixels into the gaps between them, probably not worth it on a phone but rift/vive should have had it.

Associate
http://www.vrbites.com/howto/play-pc-games-in-your-gearvr/

If you set it to VR mode you can use headtracking to sync to mouselook.

Latency is good.

Let me recoil in horror at even the thought of that, any perceivable latency is just terrible, it has to be spot on so that when your brain tells your head to move it doesn't sense a disconnect between what its doing and what your eyes are seeing

Swivelling your head to mouselook is DK1 territory and nauseating for the same reason. Your head does move, even by small amounts and when thats not reflected in what you see its at best somewhat crappy but at worst will make you want to vomit.

This is why even the PSVR gives a good experience, in spite of its low resolution when you stop focusing on how the graphics are not super high res and let yourself enjoy it it does feel like you are actually there because it has both positional tracking and low latency and it feels natural enough that your brain can accept it as feeling real.

Just being able to look around is not really even VR, for me I wouldn't even count google cardboard as VR tbh for that reason. Feeling like you are actually there is VR, its a lot more than just having the picture surround you.

Soldato
I've always been sceptical of the GearVR / PC integrations I've read about, but never had the chance to use them.

Putting in countless hours in VR over the last 5 years I can honestly say that lack of positional tracking (regard whether you think you need it or not - i.e. a seated cockpit game) is the easily the number one factor in causing nausea, but that's assuming you've got no latency issues...

Subtle movements that you make, even just adjusting your position in your chair to get comfy after sitting for 15 minutes, that accumulate over time and make you feel sick - combine that with even the slightest amount of latency and, well, frankly, **** that :)

My longest play session in Elite is around 5 hours in VR, with a total of 102 hours on record - exclusively VR use. I'd be interested to know if any GearVR player has achieved that with zero issues.

Soldato
Once you try something like budget cuts on the Vive, VR becomes an entirely different thing. Even sim racing/flight sims in VR feel completely different to play, you soon forget about the lack of resolution/screen door when you immersed in the action.

No other setup will have you crawling around on your knees trying to poke your head through the floor.

Back
Top Bottom