Trip to Scotland

Soldato
[TW]Fox;30215695 said:
It's Ullapool isn't it, but the same applies. The main risk is surely that the A9 gets hit but it's a major trunk route so it'll be cleared pretty quickly.

D'oh. Still close enough (I know not really). Still up on the West coast. Agreed, the A9 is one of the main risks in getting there, but if it's been hit, while it may well be clear of snow, the A835 might not be as well cleared, although it is still a relatively major road (for the area).

Regardless, the sensible choice here is winter tyres.

Soldato
Plenty of snow round the Cairngorms at the mo so it may happen, temps due to drop again towards end of week however the main routes are gritted and ploughs on call. You'll be fine.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;30218183 said:
Yes, via the A9, a major trunk route that we've already covered in this thread. Keep traffic moving on that becomes priority 1.

No I totally disagree the a9 is a single carriageway with motorway volumes of traffic. It has been branded scotland's most dangerous road. im not saying the op should be driving up here in a snowmobile but what i will say is dont be so naive towards the a9, that's when it catches people out.

Past kingussie and onwards past aviemore the weather is so unpredictable. This time last year i was up aviemore for the weekend nice and sunny in the town. on the way back down we were crawling at 20 mph through heavy winds and snow, gritters no were to be seen.

Man of Honour
No I totally disagree the a9 is a single carriageway with motorway volumes of traffic.

Exactly - it is a primary trunk route.

It has been branded scotland's most dangerous road.

Because it's mostly single carriageway with what used to be GATSO speed cameras on all the safe overtake spots, so people would get frustrated after miles behind trucks and pull stupid overtakes in the camera free bits.

It's apparently much safer now the entire thing is SPECS enforced.

im not saying the op should be driving up here in a snowmobile but what i will say is dont be so naive towards the a9, that's when it catches people out.

Past kingussie and onwards past aviemore the weather is so unpredictable. This time last year i was up aviemore for the weekend nice and sunny in the town. on the way back down we were crawling at 20 mph through heavy winds and snow, gritters no were to be seen.

Quite but it isn't exactly the Transcanada Highway and there isn't much a 4x4 rental car on summer tyres is going to do for you on it that a normal car won't.

Associate
Keep an eye on the A835 traffic cameras here: https://trafficscotland.org/livetrafficcameras/

Also worth downloading the traffic Scotland mobile app before you go, data coverage subject to network of course.

The average speed cameras on the A9 will send you to sleep, the good thing is HGV's are allowed to do 50mph from Perth to Inverness so they don't hold you up.

On a side note, in Ullapool the Arch Inn is nice for an evening meal, the Seaforth is ok for a drink but it's expensive and usually has the local boat workers in for a pint.

Nearby where you're staying is Gruinard island, interesting story, just not sure I'd want to visit.....

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The A9 to Inverness is probably the most frustrating road in Scotland. SPECS on the entire route and you can't really open the taps at any point even when you can see for a mile and the road is empty. I put the cruise control on for most of the route and found myself flying past stuff and then having to brake down to 50mph so I was back in 'tolerance'. The SPECS did little to stop idiots not paying attention and for me was overkill.

Because of this I made Scotland above Inverness 'have it' for putting me through the A9 :D

Soldato
Hire a 4WD with winter tyres.

There's no point buying a set of winter tyres and having to pay for them to be fitted and then pay more for your normal tyres to be put back.

Man of Honour

From where?

This is the UK, not Germany - rental companies do not fit winter tyres to the fleet. Heck rental companies in Germany only started doing it routinely when mandated by law!

You can't even easily rent rental cars with winter tyres in parts of Canada. The cost of putting winter tyres on rental cars is enormous, especially when you consider the fact many cars go one-way across the whole country and the firms are national. They are not going to do it without being legally mandated to do so and certainly not in a country like ours.

Your only real chance is a small niche independent outfit, but honestly this is massive overkill. You are going to Ullapool not Siberia.

Aside from that, the cost of 4 winter tyres for a 320d is lower than the cost of renting a 4x4 anyway. And you end up with some tyres to keep!

Last edited:
Associate

Nice part of the world, take a drive along to the beach at Mellon Udrigle, one of my favourites.

If the weather gets bad and the roads need attention, the local authorities have the resources to deal with it, very quickly. Peoples' livelihoods and communities depend on this, plus the road up to Ullapool links the main ferry route to Lewis so it's always treated with the highest priority.

The stretch from the Ullapool road to your location takes you up and over some high ground around 1000ft, can't remember if there are snow gates but it's a main route anyway and will be well looked after, the gritters cover a lot of ground as there are fewer roads.

Soldato

There's no point buying a set of winter tyres and having to pay for them to be fitted and then pay more for your normal tyres to be put back.

That is a crazy suggestion really. Just had a look on Enterprise at small SUV rentals. Now, baring in mind the OP didn't say how long he was going for, so I just picked a week long rental in their smallest SUV, and for one with an auto box (which you would), was £360 for a RAV 4 (goes up to £420 for an XC60).

Now, again, I don't know what size wheels the OP has on his BMW, but, assuming 17's like my old man has on his e90, so 225/45/17 and 255/40/17, a full set of Vredstein Wintrac Xtremes come in at £389. So a little more than the cost of a weeks hire of the Rav 4, and a little less than the XC60. But either way, much safer overall due to actually being made for the conditions.

Sure, there may be a cost to fitting the tyres. £40 or so. But that isn't a huge amount extra to pay. The OP could buy a set of second hand wheels cheap enough for it so he only pays it once, and has winter wheels for the next 4-5 years.

There is a set of "square" wheels, so same 225/45 front and back, on ebay for £160 just now, even with what looks like useable summer tyres, which could bring back half that cost. The wheels would always be worth £80 or so without tyres, and brings the cost of the winter rubber down to £340. So £500 all in (well, minus delivery and fitting) for wheels with new winter tyres, which would likely be worth £400 anyway after a weeks use, so £100 for the safety factor for a week, rather than ~£400 for a weeks 4x4 rental, which will inevitably come on summer tyres. Plus potentially £80-100 worth of summer tyres.

Soldato
Plus the cost of fitting, plus the cost of storage - yes, taking up room in your garage does have a cost and some people don't have storage facilities - plus the cost of refitting the old tyres. And just because winter tyres aren't listed doesn't mean they're not available for the asking.

Back
Top Bottom