LG 38UC99 - 37.5'' 24:10 3840x1600 75Hz IPS FreeSync Strobing Backlight

Soldato
Of course, customer always comes first - now we have driven home QC issues and seemingly got the IPS bleed sorted its a new era for LG

I have seen what we have coming next year and there are some interesting models - albeit OLED still has screen burn issues so I am not confident of seeing any in 2017

the backlight bleed on the 38 is very good which was a pleasant surprise considering the size

Associate
i think the most frustrating point of the entire market saga with backlight bleed on IPS panel is literally how from a mechanical point of view how stupid an oversight it was, and how easy it is to solve the issue

with us pushing the envelope on 21:9 size, we needed to get it right and its so pleasing to hear that - we were always going to be hit hardest as we were market leader on IPS seeing as it is our technology

Associate
That is good to hear, as from a consumers point of view, when spending £1k on a screen I expect it to be perfect and bad backlight bleed or IPS glow is something I won't accept. You then have a fight on your hand getting it returned as not all retailers like taking them back.
It is for this reason I have held off buying a new screen despite wanting the 38UC99. If there is minimal bleed I may dive in

Soldato
That is good to hear, as from a consumers point of view, when spending £1k on a screen I expect it to be perfect and bad backlight bleed or IPS glow is something I won't accept. You then have a fight on your hand getting it returned as not all retailers like taking them back.
It is for this reason I have held off buying a new screen despite wanting the 38UC99. If there is minimal bleed I may dive in

the bleed is very good, ive been trying to take a pic but my phones focus goes all over place in the dark and I cant get decent photo of it

Soldato
ive had another go at getting a pic of the backlight bleed and this is the best I can do with my phone

20161118_151500_zpsy0bovqrl.jpg

OcUK Staff
I'd say that has zero bleed as far as IPS goes, that really is fantastic. :)
All I am seeing there is uniformed IPS glow, which is a characteristic of an IPS panel.

Associate
Same here the screen is really awesome.

And great to hear Daniel, although I want you to wait a couple of years until you release something awesome. I'd like my new 1k£ screen to be top-of-the-line for a while now. Not see it replaced by something greater. Haha :D

Soldato
How long before we see a G-Sync variant of this panel I wonder? Why don't LG ever do it? Is it simply because of the cost? Given what the likes of Acer/Asus charge for the X34/PG34 and LG's superior design (IMO), I can't believe they wouldn't sell well.

Associate
OP
How long before we see a G-Sync variant of this panel I wonder? Why don't LG ever do it? Is it simply because of the cost? Given what the likes of Acer/Asus charge for the X34/PG34 and LG's superior design (IMO), I can't believe they wouldn't sell well.

If they did a 75 Hz version of this with G-Sync even with higher cost I would have bought it already.

Associate
I don't think LG has ever made a G-Sync monitor? They haven't jumped in the locked tech but just support the open tech. The ball is on nvidias side to start supporting VESA adaptive sync. It's a simple driver fix - they just need to pull their finger out.

I see it the other way: I am using an AMD graphics right now and if nvidia would release a GPU with Freesync I would have bought it already. Waiting for nvidia...

:)

Soldato
I don't think LG has ever made a G-Sync monitor? They haven't jumped in the locked tech but just support the open tech. The ball is on nvidias side to start supporting VESA adaptive sync. It's a simple driver fix - they just need to pull their finger out.

I see it the other way: I am using an AMD graphics right now and if nvidia would release a GPU with Freesync I would have bought it already. Waiting for nvidia...

:)

Could not have said it better myself, I'm guessing lg does not want to pay nvidia to put gsync modules in there monitors and if this becomes a trend by monitor manufacturers then I can see nvidia being forced into freesync.
Like yourself a 1080 would already be in my PC if nvidia supported freesync

Caporegime
^^

That and also because they probably have to redesign the casing/chassis to accommodate the gsync module, which means even more money and time + effort needs to be invested:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3129...ia-g-sync-on-monitor-selection-and-price.html

I would say that nvidia are practically on the verge of being forced into adopting adaptive sync now, gsync monitors are being left in the dust massively now:

2015 G-Sync monitors: 8 IPS, 3 TN, 1 VA
2016 G-Sync monitors: 3 IPS, 5 TN, 6 VA

2015 FreeSync monitors: 13 IPS, 15 TN, 2 VA
2016 FreeSync monitors: 32 IPS, 17 TN, 13 VA

That is a few months old now so the freesync numbers have probably jumped even further. I imagine if gsync monitors were selling extremely well, we would be seeing a lot more than that.

With support from intel coming as well as TVs + consoles, the gap wil only get bigger so it is only a matter of time until we see nvidia support it and keep gsync to the "premium" gaming monitors.

Soldato
The general idea of this page in regards to us and g-sync is correct - although we do have one coming next year but its 34" not 38" JFYI

Presumably that's using the same panel as the X34/PG34 then? Bit late to the party aren't we lol?! ;) Still, if you can guarantee little to no bleed and 100Hz, it will sell well at the right price.

Back
Top Bottom