Poll: Game of The Year 2016

Vote for your OcUK Game of the Year 2016

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Before it was released someone described it to me as space exploring and naming stuff.

I don't know what else people were thinking it was when they paid for it but it sounded dull to me.

Hah, yeah same for me. I know people felt let down and lied to, but honestly I thought what was being promised in the first placed sounded as dull as dishwater.

Soldato
Surprised with Titanfall 2 and Doom. My mate wanted to multiplayer on Titanfall 2 and I must admit my only session so far was underwhelming. Never played Doom, next buy. I'll vote after that. Stardew Valley and Forza 3 are my top 2 to decide.

EDIT: Actually I forgot about Dark Souls 3! That will take some beating.

Soldato
Not sure I agree with a crappy FIFA game being in the list.

Doom gets my vote. An absolute master class of doing it properly and dropping the over dramatised call of duty rubbish we are usually hit with.

Associate
My vote went to BF1. I've played 3 and 4 and whilst they're ok I also found them very frustrating. The limitations of the weaponry in BF1 makes it a rather more level playing field. Whilst it's certainly an arcadey shooter it's got a little bit more realistic and it's cinematic as ever.

Ed

Soldato
It must be if a non-standalone expansion pack for The Witcher 3 was included!! :p

Yeah a 30 hour expansion pack...

Doom has a 12 hour campaign in comparison. Why does it matter that its a dlc? Its far better than most full games and is what dlc SHOULD be. Not useless skin packs and other crap that should be free.

Soldato
Yeah a 30 hour expansion pack...

Doom has a 12 hour campaign in comparison. Why does it matter that its a dlc? Its far better than most full games and is what dlc SHOULD be. Not useless skin packs and other crap that should be free.

Its still an expansion pack though - its not a standalone game and there are plenty of expansion packs over the last 20 years which were not considered games on their own. Some of you must be new to expansion packs though - they used to be quite common 10 to 15 years ago and they used to be quite decent length.

Should we put Skyrim MK2 on the list since Bethesda decided to give every person who bought the original game and expansions,a redesigned game from the ground up on a new engine for free?? Nope.

Loads love Skyrim still.

Plus using length to indicate the greatness of a game is like saying any film must be massively inferior to any TV series,because TV series have more hours in total.

Edit!!

Should we do the same for the remastered edition of Bioshock?? My mate e-mailed 2K a picture of his original install disc and they sent him a free copy and people who already had the game in Steam got it for free. Certainly,it shouldn't be on the list however much Bioshock has been loved as a game.

Second Edit!!

An expansion pack, expansion set, supplement, or simply expansion is an addition to an existing role-playing game, tabletop game or video game. These add-ons usually add new game areas, weapons, objects, characters and/or an extended storyline to complete an already released game.

Its an addition not a game on its own. You need to buy a 2015 released game to run it.

Plus I know there is excessive almost fanatical love for CDPR on the interwebs(matched by the equal level of hate for many other companies),but if you read what I said,it was more an indication of how poor 2016 has been when an expansion to a 2015 game is more worthy than NEW standalone full titles released this year.

Last edited:
Soldato
Blood and wine makes a 10 outta 10 game.. 11 outta 10..

It really is that good.. better story then most AAA titles out in last 2 - 4 years...

Still an expansion and I have the game and its expansions,so I know the quality is there. It shows how bad things have become when an expansion for a 2015 game is considered a 2016 GOTY. I mean if that is the case all those expansions released 10,20 or 30 years ago should be reconsidered as GOTY outside the base games.

I mean its almost like people are shocked an expansion is like over 10 hours long or has its own uniques stories. EA has a lot to answer for,I tell you!! :p:D

I mean forget CDPR,look at this standalone mod for Skyrim:

http://sureai.net/games/enderal/?lang=en

That was done by the modding community on its own.At least 50 hours for the main quest,has its own story,etc. Yet,its still a mod,not realistically a new game in its own right.

Its not the only one of its type. Here is a massive one for Fallout:New Vegas:

http://www.thebitbag.com/fallout-the-frontier-launch-trailer-expansion-mod-following-soon/203814

Totally unique story,new area and all sorts of new mechanics. Still consider a mod.

I mean have you noticed even CDPR does not consider their expansions separate games?? Its why the The Witcher 3 GOTY has all the expansions included.

If it were standalone it would be one thing,but it isn't I still need to use a 2015 game to play them.

Don't think this is a criticism of the quality of The Witcher 3 at all.

I mean if the DLC wins by extension it means The Witcher 3 will be winning GOTY of the twice. Might be a first!!

:p

Last edited:
Soldato
So you're saying you think its an expansion then....

Personally I've never come across an expansion like it, they could have easily released it as a sequel, I'm sure most developers would have.

Anyway, you can be picky if you want but I think people have spoken with their votes.

The Bioshock and Skyrim examples are a bit silly though, there is clearly a massive difference between a huge bit of DLC and an old game slighly tarted up. Plus Skyrim wouldn't win anyway. :p

Soldato
So you're saying you think its an expansion then....

Personally I've never come across an expansion like it, they could have easily released it as a sequel, I'm sure most developers would have.

Anyway, you can be picky if you want but I think people have spoken with their votes.

The Bioshock and Skyrim examples are a bit silly though, there is clearly a massive difference between a huge bit of DLC and an old game slighly tarted up. Plus Skyrim wouldn't win anyway. :p

Having to remaster a game in a new engine takes time - especially since they moved from DX9 to DX11 and that was free. But everybody hates Bethesda and 2K you know. Plus all those massive mods,for Skyrim and New Vegas being released this year could by extension be also considered GOTY too(and they cost nothing too). They are essentially new games.

Like I said expansions packs were common 10 to 20 years ago,and many were superb(and many were crap too),I never really considered them separate games(its called an expansion pack for a reason).

Some could be easily considered a second game,but were not. Maybe I have forgotten how bad newer generations have had it with DLCs,expansion packs,etc.

The problem is I don't think any non-standalone expansion has WON GOTY in any official awards. Plus 80% of those who voted did not vote for the expansion pack/Witcher 3.5 - so not sure the people have voted!! :p

Plus,I think we might want to sit down for this shocker.

Overwatch has over 20 million players already in 5 months:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/11/13247156/overwatch-20-million-players-blizzard

If people putting their money where their mouths are is an indication of what people think are decent games,Blizzard have blitzed it this year for GOTY. Thats 20+ million people paying over £30 for a 2016 remake of TF2.....which is also free.

No wonder we are in this dire state of affairs*.

:mad::(:p:D

*Not saying Overwatch is a crap game as I have not played it myself but just put this disclaimer in case I get the Blizzard crew jumping on me! I might need to hire a Witcher to protect me from both the CDPR and Blizzard crews!

Last edited:
Soldato
Not saying a lot if work didn't go into the remasters, but it's still the same game.

Newer generations? I've been gaming for over 30 years and have never played an expansion like it.

Maybe the mods you mention could have counted, you should have nominated them..

You may well be right about Overwatch, the GOTY comment not the silly TF2 comment. It will probably pick up some proper awards, I think this thread was probably just intended as a bit of fun so people can discuss what they've enjoyed this year, no need to take it too seriously.

Soldato
Comparing remaster of the game, being completely identical just with some additional graphical bells and whistles, to a fullblown expansion that contains 40+ hours of new unique content.

wtf?

It is irrelevant what the status of Blood and Wine is..CDP could have released it as standalone game and not much would change about it and it would still lead the poll.

Soldato
Has this been an underwhelming year for gaming?

Comparing remaster of the game, being completely identical just with some additional graphical bells and whistles, to a fullblown expansion that contains 40+ hours of new unique content.

wtf?

It is irrelevant what the status of Blood and Wine is..CDP could have released it as standalone game and not much would change about it and it would still lead the poll.

See maybe you should read my first reply - meant to be tongue in cheek when an expansion,is considered more GOTY than full games. But,oh noes, might have criticised W3 in some way!

Indeed,WTF?? In the last 30 years plenty of large expansions have been released and have not been considered as GOTY since they are expansions. You call a remaster of a whole game in a new engine which millions got for FREE and has 100s of hours in it as nothing whereas as an expansion which you still need to paid for,and tiny in comparison has the greatest thing since sliced bread. OK,then try and port some any other type of largish RPG to a DX11 engine and see how long it will take. Try converting most of the assets from one API and engine to another. You can talk all you want about the expansion but it will be re-using a lot of underlying stuff from the existing game.

Do I think a remaster which has taken a lot of effort to do(maybe you should try doing it yourself since it is easy apparently) should be a GOTY?? Nope. Neither do I think an expansion should either. An expansion is just a mod for the main game and Blood and Wine is not standalone. You still need a 2015 game to run it.

You even call it an expansion and sadly for you even CDPR don't call it a new game they call it an expansion - just like all the 100s of expansions which have been released for decades.

I think some of you modern gamers have been deprived of proper expansions for so long you are making it a big song and dance and saying OMFG its actually longer than 10 hours. Big deal - its not standalone. Its no different than the free USER made expansion mods which have dozens of hours of gameplay and have been done by the modding community down to even the voice acting - I am far more impressed by those sorts of things as expansions since none of the people have been paid for this. I don't see going all mad about something like Enderal which has at least 50 hours gameplay(just for the main quest alone) and its not the only one for other games.

I just feel sorry for modern gamers when expansion packs are considered better than whole games - it shows you how much things have fallen. Its worrying if the quality of modern games has fallen so far.

In fact that was my whole point - an expansion is considered better than whole games.

Plus,80% of people didn't even vote for the expansion.

Goodness grief at this rate a season pass will become GOTY.

Think we need to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom