New five pound note

Soldato
Like anything, an object is worth as much as people can sell/buy it for.

There probably was the odd nutter that thought it was worth that much to himself to purchase and keep it, when it all started. Then you get the collector investment guys who pay more because they believe they can soon get more for it. Media gives it attention and so word of its worth circulates and becomes viral like other similar fads.

Due to the price going round, others start listing it for the price hoping to get a bit more cash while it lasts but in reality the shift from buyers to sellers makes it difficult to sell after a short length of time. The price starts to whither as people try to undercut each other to win customers that are so few in number, they don't exist until the price is super low or the fad ends.

Caporegime
Thing is, it's just about always 50p, which they cite as what it costs them to receive less than whatever their minimum spend is... and some of them I regard as highly trustworthy and honest to a fault, so unless every single non-chain retailer in the county is in on some kind of conspiracy, I would think there is a genuine charge.
TBH, I either don't spend that little or usually just pay cash. I rarely have to use the card for small payments.

As i explained, thats becuase that used to be around what you got charged as a retailer for a card payment under £10. Now its only a few pence.

But places have got used to charging 50p and so have people go used to payment it so why change it?

Soldato
Dont be one of those guys that hoard books of receipts in your wallet!

If you buy stuff for work, get a separate flat card/receipt wallet for them or scan them if they are for expensive items that last ages.

I use to hoard receipts until i throw them in the bin by the wad when I finally get annoyed with the mess. Didnt even check them before throwing them away!

Soldato
Well, cheques are being phased out in 2018, I imagine cash has got a few more years left in it beyond that, but its going to be withdrawn in my lifetime.

Cash is very expensive to store, transport and process for businesses. Plus, goodbye cash-in-hand 'black economy' jobs thus generating more income for HMRC to pay for things like hospitals and schools.

The only thing that will be 'goodbye' in your lifetime will be NHS hospitals and schools. Privatisation already taking over. ;)

Associate
My biggest problem at the moment is that it just doesn't "feel like money", I've come close to chucking them away with receipts etc.

Heh, I actually did (almost) exactly that. We keep all receipts here as there's a receipt lottery thing every two months, and I pulled out the £5 I'd brought back from England with my receipts and chucked it in the drawer. Found it when I was checking the lottery numbers later (won £20, woo!).

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I don't like it, can't fold them properly because when you do, they are more bulky than the crisp folds of the old note. Makes my wallet bulky :mad:

Man of Honour
I don't like it, can't fold them properly because when you do, they are more bulky than the crisp folds of the old note. Makes my wallet bulky :mad:

Why are you carrying enough fivers to make a wallet bulky? That would be at least £50 in fivers, probably more like £100.

Why (and how) did you have only crisp old £5 notes?

The impression I'm getting is that you keep lots of fivers in your wallet and never spend them, but I don't know why anyone would do that.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Why are you carrying enough fivers to make a wallet bulky? That would be at least £50 in fivers, probably more like £100.

Why (and how) did you have only crisp old £5 notes?

The impression I'm getting is that you keep lots of fivers in your wallet and never spend them, but I don't know why anyone would do that.

I keep one a fiver and a tenner in the wallet. I don't like carrying cash around, but sometimes it does come in handy. So I keep them folded.

This is the bulk added by a single new £5 note:

rps20161103_151341_226.jpg

Shall I iron it? :p

Back
Top Bottom