2016 Chilli Growers Thread

Associate
Can anyone ID this chilli for me? We have a plant in our office that has flowered 3 times since May but for whatever reason it always drops them and they never set. Until recently when we got 1 chilli which I picked today.

Trouble is I can't remember what the plant was, or at least I don't think it's what it was labelled as. If my memory serves me correct it was either a dorset naga, or what was labelled as a chocolate Jolokia (which is obviously wrong :p )

Any ideas greatfully received.

IMG_0309_zpsvaojvcb2.jpg

Thanks
B

Soldato
I've got an orange habanero which looks identical to that. I can confirm that they are very hot! Both my red and orange habaneros dropped loads of flowers. I gave them slightly less water and they've started fruiting a bit. Hopefully they'll do a bit better next year. All my plants need a prune before spring.

Soldato
If you're in London, South Quays.. find this Cuban van near the bridge from canary wharf:

IMG_2582.JPG

I had one of the dried Carolina Reapers (in the jar).. nice level of heat!!

This place literally has every chilli sauce at every level..

Soldato
So after a good crop last year, it's time to start thinking about this years plants! I grew Japalenos, Cheyennes and Orange Habaneros last year and had a huge crop of habs. What are people growing this year? I'll probably grow the habs again but was after some ideas for others to try.

Associate
My favourite is the Ring of Fire, a variety of the Cayenne chilli.

It was the first to fruit, give me loads of peppers and didn't grow too large - the chilli's were nice and hot but weren't too much, very versatile in dishes.

Soldato
I've got 13 going already under LED lighting! I missed last year decided to have a year off, year before I had about 50 plants......never again, too much work.
I've decided to be sensible this year and keep mainly to types that are actually edible unlike 2 years ago where everything was crazy hot (reapers, bhut jolakia etc).

I'll update with what I have growing once the 2017 thread starts and I've checked but I know I have cherry bomb, jalepenos, hungarian hot wax and a few sweet varieties.

Soldato
Ring of Fires are a good shout actually. I grew some a few years ago and had a massive crop. I'd like to try Tabascos again as I really want to make my own sauce, however I've never had very many chillis from them the couple times I've tried.

I did think about trying something ridiculous like Reapers but I just wouldn't have the use for them. At least the Habaneros are a usable heat for me.

Soldato
I've got quite a few plants that I have just started off in my heated propagator. Got some Serrano, Biquinho, Chapentinho, scotch bonnet, prairie fire, Fresno, mini bell pepper and basket of fire on the go.

Had a fairly decent germination rate however a couple never made it past growing their first set of leaves so had to be binned.

All a learning process though as I've never grown anything from seed before so learning what works best as I go! Not going to keep all of them though, will be giving some plants to friends once they are strong enough as I simply don't have the space to keep 10-15 chilli plants Haha!

Back
Top Bottom