• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Any coil whine on your 1080 or 1070?

Do you have any coil whine on your 1080 or 1070?

• Yes

Votes: 76 32.5%
  • No

Votes: 158 67.5%

• Total voters
Associate
1080 msi seahawk hybrid and sorry i meant customer services.

more or less got told its not a fault and doesnt affect performance there isnt a lot i can go as for upgrading the power supply i already own a Corsair HX1000i. i cant really be spending more than i already did for that.

That PSU should be fine, and I bet there have been a fair few people buying new PSUs only to find that it doesn't cure the coil whine.

BTW I think CS? means which retailer's customer services ? You can't mention competitors, but you can say if it was bought from Overclockers.

Associate
1080FE

I recently changed my PSU from a Corsair AX1200I to a AX860I and now get coil whine when the card is maxed but never had a problem before.

Associate
1080FE

I recently changed my PSU from a Corsair AX1200I to a AX860I and now get coil whine when the card is maxed but never had a problem before.

That is surprising.

I wouldn't mind betting that if you tried a cheaper 600watt PSU, the coil whine would be gone. You might even go back to the AX1200I and still get coild whine.

Associate
That is surprising.

I wouldn't mind betting that if you tried a cheaper 600watt PSU, the coil whine would be gone. You might even go back to the AX1200I and still get coil whine.

Odd isn't it, I intend to change back to the 1200 next time I do a rebuild in a new case so will update this thread if I get whine or not then.

Associate
3x MSI GTX 980Ti reference, Thermaltake Toughpower 1500watt - no coil whine on any card.

2x EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0, Fratal Define R3 1000w platinium. One card has mild coil whine but only audible when I put my head down to the case. Can't be bothered to RMA it, since I could end up with one worse.

Frankly since 2010 starting with the Fermi series, I think coil whine has "evolved" into a quite common problem. You even see many reviews also "testing for coil whine".

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I've had three 1080's now:

2 x Asus Strix GTX 1080 A8G
1X EVGA 1080 FE

Both of these where from different UK suppliers and they had horrific coil whine / buzz which I could hear from outside the room. I've since moved for a EVGA 1080 FE which has been completely silent.

Associate
I've had three 1080's now:

2 x Asus Strix GTX 1080 A8G
1X EVGA 1080 FE

Both of these where from different UK suppliers and they had horrific coil whine / buzz which I could hear from outside the room. I've since moved for a EVGA 1080 FE which has been completely silent.

Mine is also a EVGA FE and while I can definitely hear a whine it's nowhere near as bad as your Asus ones and impossible to hear over normal level game audio so I think myself lucky.

Associate
You can't tell which brands have coilwhine, because they all have ! It's down to the single card if it's affected or not. You can have two 100% identical cards (I have) and one has coilwhine, the other doesnt.

Associate
dont have any, BUT i always run vsync on in the nvcp so max i get is 100fps so maybe at 30000 fps who knows.

edit: psu 1050w xfx black edition

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
do you have any evidence?

Looking through the amount of posts and people saying they don't have whine leads me to that conclusion. From my OP, I did ask what PSU they used, purely from my own experience with a different PSU giving coil whine.

Thread was created to try and help people define if it was the card or was a PSU fault.

Associate
My Coil whine has disappeared after a few days running in. That's with a Strix 1080 playing Elite Dangerous on my X34a at 100hz. I am going to do more testing over the weekend with other titles before I decide whether to go through with the RMA I organised. I have a Corsair PSU btw.

Caporegime
OP
My Coil whine has disappeared after a few days running in. That's with a Strix 1080 playing Elite Dangerous on my X34a at 100hz. I am going to do more testing over the weekend with other titles before I decide whether to go through with the RMA I organised. I have a Corsair PSU btw.

I had two 680 lightnings that also needed running in. Once done though, it never returned :)

Soldato
Really bad coil whine in Overwatch, mild whining in WoW and other games though. Asus dual 1070, Corsair RM750. Use to happen on my old 550w psu with a different card and different motherboard so I've no idea where to even start diagnosing. I'll probably just put up with it.

Back
Top Bottom