Looking for a good adventure game I may have missed

Soldato
I'm looking for a good action/adventure/shooter game with a half decent story to play through. I had a huge gap in gaming and I've already played loads of classics this year but there must be more out there. Here are some of the games that I consider to be in that category that I've already played so if there are any missing you can think of I'd really appreciate if you could share them:

Half Life 2
F.E.A.R
All the Bioshocks
Spec Ops: The Line
Crysis (playing for 1st time and have 2 & 3 downloaded)
Far Cry 3&4
RAGE
Mad Max
The new Tomb Raiders
Alien Isolation
The Mass Effect Trilogy
Ryse Son of Rome
Beyond Good and Evil
Assassin Creed 2 (cool story but got a bit bored with the repetitive gameplay so unless some of the later ones addressed this?)
Castlevania Lord of Shadows
Darksiders 1 & 2

Associate
Was going to suggest Darksiders till I got down to the bottom of your list!

Not a shooter, but one of my fave adventure / story games of all time is Brothers - A tale of two sons.

Not very long (3-4 hours) and limited replayability but you should be able to pick it up pretty cheap on the Steam sale in the next couple of days. I'd challenge anyone to play this one through without crying towards the end. Just bear in mind you need a controller to play it.

Associate
Soma - less of the shooting, tbh, but it ticks the Story box. Definitely an experience worth having.

Also; none of the Dark Souls games appear on your list. You may want to correct this. :)

Associate
Dishonored should fit in your list.. avoid the 2nd one for now as it has performance issues... but the first is excellent.

Soldato
OP
Was going to suggest Darksiders till I got down to the bottom of your list!

Not a shooter, but one of my fave adventure / story games of all time is Brothers - A tale of two sons.

Not very long (3-4 hours) and limited replayability but you should be able to pick it up pretty cheap on the Steam sale in the next couple of days. I'd challenge anyone to play this one through without crying towards the end. Just bear in mind you need a controller to play it.

Thanks - added to wish list.

Soma - less of the shooting, tbh, but it ticks the Story box. Definitely an experience worth having.

Also; none of the Dark Souls games appear on your list. You may want to correct this. :)

Yes - I forgot about SOMA - I see it's on sale in Steam just now and I'm bloody skint!

I do actually have the first Darks Souls and played about 10 hours and then parked it for some reason I can't remember. Is it worth going back to then?

Dishonored and Dishonored 2
Deus Ex
Arkham games

(I bet you've played these but forgot to list them?)

Correct sir. I do have Dishonored, Deus Ex (HR & MKD) and Arkham Origins. I never did finish Dishonored - was really enjoying until I got to a part I got stuck on, got frustrated and never went back to it. It was a part with lots of the cluster creature things I remember, quite far in to the game I think. With Arkham Origins my game glitched - I had to use detective mode to scope out some scene but the game just wouldn't detect whatever it was so the game wouldn't progress - I known bug I believe.

The witcher 2 & 3!

I have Witcher 2 and loved the authentic adult feel but never really got to grips with the combat system and found the menu layout confusing and frustrating. Did they improve on this in 3? Ultimately I played until I got to bed the Elf and then gave up. :D

Associate
Thanks - added to wish list.

I have Witcher 2 and loved the authentic adult feel but never really got to grips with the combat system and found the menu layout confusing and frustrating. Did they improve on this in 3? :D

Brothers in £2.19 in the Steam sale at the moment...bargain!

The combat in Witcher 3 is much more straightforward than in 2 ...no more having to mess around with oils etc. all the time. Some felt it was too dumbed down, but I felt it made the game more enjoyable.

Soldato
Wither 3 is amazing they did improve the UI
Metal Gear solid series
Fallout 3, Vegas, 4
Wolfenstine the new order & The old blood
Mafia 2
Metro Redux
Stalker series
Evil Within
Alan wake

Last edited:
Associate
I do actually have the first Darks Souls and played about 10 hours and then parked it for some reason I can't remember. Is it worth going back to then?

Absolutely, with DS fix installed. I don't think any other game has given me the kind of adrenaline rush you get from defeating some of the bosses in DS.

I don't normally like 'rock-hard' games, but with Dark Souls it's entirely fair. The difference between it and Darksiders is that you can button-mash in Darksiders. In the Souls games you need to be in control of your attacks at all times.

It's worth the learning curve.

Soldato
OP
I have played and finished Enslaved - great story - great characters - Trip was seriously hot.

I also have the 3 STALKER games installed and have put a lot of hours in to the first one although haven't quite completed it yet - must go back to it...

I tried System Shock 2 recently but after about 10 hours I got stuck in a certain place - that game is insanely difficult. I think I mis-spent my upgrades though, I plan to start it over again.

Picked up Brothers in the Steam sale last night.

I'll check out Dragon Age as I'm subscribing to Origin Access just now and it's one of the available games.

Thanks all.

Soldato
OP
Wither 3 is amazing they did improve the UI
Metal Gear solid series
Fallout 3, Vegas, 4
Wolfenstine the new order & The old blood
Mafia 2
Metro Redux
Stalker series
Evil Within
Alan wake

Seems I missed quite a few of my original list! I also have Fallout 4 & Vegas, both the Wolfenstien and Metro games.

I have Alan Wake too and was really enjoying the story but I never quite mastered the combat and ultimately a combination of the controls and being terrified stopped me playing it.

Picked up the Evil Within a few weeks back. Waiting to finish one of the games I'm playing just now before starting it...

Caporegime
Prince of Persia Sands of Time, Warrior Within and Two Thrones. They tail off as you go, so I'd forgive you if you only played the first, but that one is a masterpiece. I must have completed it a dozen times.

Back
Top Bottom