Project Cars VR Thread

Soldato
Took a while to get everything setup, playing with different in game settings and SS rates, now its all sorted I have to say this is by far one of the best VR experiences available.

Don
Just played this on my sons Oculus Rift and G25 wheel. Amazing experience - silky smooth and totally immersive. The biggest difference over 2D is that you suddenly experience the elevation changes, especially on tracks like the Nurburgring where the hills actually feel like hills! Also the ability to look through corners makes a massive difference. Really impressed with it - most immersive VR experience I've had

Try Dirt Rally. You really feel scared when driving at 100mph and are acutely aware of the 500 foot drop a few inches from the side of the car. Makes my hairs stand on end.

Soldato
Can you share your settings? Be nice to find a sweet spot for everyone to easily apply. I have gone a bit wild with tweaking things since the SS update! 55

Sure.

I have pretty much settled on 1.6 SS for everything I run now. Here are my in games settings.

These settings and blasting round BrandsHatch Indy in a Mclaren GT3 with 20 cars from same series is a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Associate
I've recently swapped from a GTX970 which was running at 1.1SS and low settings to a GTX1070. I run the 1070 at 1.3SS and medium settings but was a bit disappointed that it still didnt look or feel that great.

Tonight I tried turning off asynchronous re projection and it's much better. I tend to test settings on Brands Hatch Indy with the Aerial Atom so I know how it should feel around the whole track.

My thinking is its only just dropping below 90fps and the jump right down to 45fps is noticeable whereas with Async off the occasional dips to say 80fps goes un-noticed?

I do notice the odd few missed frames but it still feels better than Async on.

I have noticed my GPU only maxes out at about 78%, is the limiting factor CPU?

Soldato
Did a benchmark video to see how my old FX8350 was handling Project Cars, not as bad as I thought.

This is on an Oculus Rift with 1.6SS and a 1080FE running Windows 7, recorded with OBS Studio, all on the same box :D

Associate
Always set to 100 I don't mind losing occasionally. I was up to Ginetta Junior level (gt5) in career having started in karts, but it's reset now and I haven't got around to restarting since I lost my progress.

Associate
I was going to skip them next time round in career tbh, I didn't enjoy them at all. I'm looking forward to a full VR career though. So far I've only done a couple of online races and some hotlappong.

Associate
I tried Project Cars on an Overclockers rig that they were using for the UK racing championship at Mercedes World in Brooklands yesterday. To say it was disappointing compared to my moderate setup using a GTX1070 and 1.5SS would be an understatement. I don't know if it's just that I've taken the time and got mine all dialed in or the PC they were running it on was having a moment (Well 20 minutes).

I believe they use a GTX970 setup rather than a top end system so it demonstrates what it would be like on a basic setup but the difference in visual quality was massive. I would not have bought a Vive based on the same experience.

Associate
I know what you mean miller, I did the first round at OCUK hq and expected to be impressed, but ultimately I was so disappointed I had decided to wait until 2nd gen headsets were out. Thankfully, having read so much positive stuff and finding a 2week old OR on gumtree for £350 I figured even if I didn't like it I could get my money back. Even without tweaking anything my experience is so much better than the competition setup...very pleasantly surprised, I'm now looking forward to my new pc build in November to up SS and eye candy to improve the experience.

I'm so glad I got the OR now.

Associate
Hi all, I just got an Oculus DK2 off ebay yesterday. I can't get Project Cars to appear on the headset - it just runs in 2D on my monitor. I did some googling and it seems the solution used to be enable extended desktop mode on the Rift but this is no longer possible in the newer software.

Am I missing something simple to get it working?

Associate
You will need to install Oculus home (www.oculus.com/setup) and then follow the setup instructions. Once you have that working if you launch PCARS from Steam it should detect you headset and you will have the option to launch in VR using the Oculus run time.

Associate
Ah OK, thanks. I already have the Oculus software but when I run the setup it doesn't detect the Headset USB or HDMI only sensor, but it all works despite this. I took this to be because the DK2 is no longer supported officially?

I can live without it though as I can just stick with Assetto Corsa!

Edit to add: I'm glad I didn't spend too much money on this as I've already encountered software bugs I would haveexpected to be sorted by now:-

1) The setup told me I needed to install 2 Win7 update KB's that were already installed. Had to edit command line to get it to ignore the check.
2) The above HDMI / USB not found issue.
3) The removal of the extended desktop (not a bug as such but does seem to mean games that used to work in VR don't any more).

Last edited:
Associate
What is the best way to increase the quality in this game?
Go ultra with the in game setting or keep them lower and go higher super sampling?

Upgrading from a 970 to a 1080ti made a huge difference if anyone was looking for the same. £700 worth maybe not but was one of those 'you only live once' moment.

I must admit that I would never go back to a screen with this type of game even if I went 4K. my 1080p screen does look better in the quality stakes but nothing can take the VR back from me now. Especially the open cockpit cars like my favourite the Caterham 500 which feels just like the kit car in RR (real reality lol)

Back
Top Bottom