The Display Cabinet

Caporegime
Another one finished. I had a painting friend from America staying for a few days so we painted up a Rackham figure each. First time I've tried a snowy base. I've included his as well because it's an awesome piece and now sitting on my shelf :D

9DtzzWW.jpg

Associate
Shami those minis look amazing.
I really like the bases too, something I need to get better at.

I like the softer colour tones you seem to choose too.

Any tips for starting out making more complex bases? any advice of materials? I really like the snowy effects.

Caporegime
I use a lot of cork tiles, can pick them up super cheap and they'll last you for ages. Milliput and plasticard are also very useful. Both those bases were made with bark taken from a walk in the woods and some pieces of slate. Then I use Vallejo texture paste and regular soil to fill in the gaps. Snow was PVA glue, bicarbonate of soda and a little white paint. I then used some crushed glass to add a little shine.

Here's my latest piece, Sinzirith from the second Raging Heroes kickstarter. Had a lot of fun with this one, flesh has usually been something I avoid so it was good to get out of my comfort zone. The blood on the heart and sword was done by gluing hair then dripping glue down it, finally used some Tamiya clear red mixed with Vallejo Smoke to add the blood effect. Base, I'd just seen Thor: Dark World again and wanted to make something inspired by the Dark Elves world in it.

Associate
fnbb50.jpg

Working on some Bolt Action stuff at the moment, nice little sherman to go along side my British Airborne. Just pre shaded, base colours, few highlights, time to finish the tracks and then move onto the weathering!

Associate
All great work in here guys. I really need to start painting again, it would help me relax so much more than tv or video games. I have a shed load of board game minis waiting plus a friends games (I would love to paint his Devil's Run stuff but he wants a clean look, whereas I would like to go full weathered :D).

I keep saying it but things happen and I don't get around to getting the stuff I need. I may well sell my modern Zombicide (inc. S3 KS) and some other stuff to fund my painting goodies wishlist.

Associate
I need to paint a tank one day, whether realistic or other. One of the few things I've never done and I'd love to play with some weathering.

Thats the final step with the Sherman, tracks are now done, first coat of varnish has been airbrushed on, let that cure for 24 hours, then time for some pin washes and vast amounts of weathering powders!

Do it! Such a nice break from working on 40k stuff. Very enjoyable, big bolt action/FoW community around here. Got a tournament to attend on the 20th of november, rest of the army to paint by then!

Soldato
That's a very nice paint job indeed you should be proud of that. Especially after being out of the hobby for so long, well done.

The more you paint the better you will become so keep going, what have you got up next to paint?

Soldato
That's a very nice paint job indeed you should be proud of that. Especially after being out of the hobby for so long, well done.

The more you paint the better you will become so keep going, what have you got up next to paint?

thanks

next up will be Chief Librarian Tigurius and Sgt Teilon and I know I have the dark vengeance box kicking around somewhere . I know I bought a load of 40K stuff last year with the intentions of at least starting the painting again, but only just picked it up now, so there is probably a whole stash in one of the cupboards in my office so will have a proper look

Associate
Is the question regarding brand? In which case I use Citadel paints and W&N series 7 brushes.

The sword was based in Incubai Darkness and then I used blues in progressively lighter shades to paint the lightning. It was then glazed with Sotek Green with a little more at the hilt end.

Back
Top Bottom