Logitech MX500 MX518 upgrade necessary?

Associate
So, I've been using my Logitech MX500 for over 8 years now. I've started to play a lot of FPS games and wondered if this mouse is still up to the job. I can only find generic drivers on windows 10.

Therefore, question is, would an upgrade make my game better? are the new mice sensors better than the mx500?

Was looking at Steelseries rival 100 as a possible replacement.

Associate
I upgraded to the Logitech G403 from a G400 (same mouse as yours) and I must say the new G403 is a great mouse!

It Took me a few hours to adjust to the new shape and now I love it. It's so responsive and it comes equipped with the latest optical sensor. Think it's the 1337?

Soldato
Necessary, ... Debatable. Chsnging mice won't make you better, unless there's something wrong with it. What's more important than the sensor (as long as it doesn't malfunction / lag) is shape and quality (no double clicking). If your mouse works, I.e. it's not broken, then don't fix it. Remember that the 'pro' trend is using mice at low DPI (400 / 800), which is more to do with familiarity (not changing settings) than anything else.

My G403 is great though. Buttons, sensor, shape is ok, cable is typical braided rubbish. Drivers, I've been using driverless mice for the longest time (Zowies), and never looked back. An old MX don't really need drivers AFAIK.

I paid £43 for, and I'd be looking at deals, mice are stupidly expensive these days. There will be more 3360 / 3366 mice to compete, so my guess is, waiting it out is the sensible option. A cheap upgrade, replace feet with Hotlines / Hyperglides.

Associate
OP
Thank you for your replies.

My mx500 is still working perfectly. I cleaned the scroller a while ago and everything works as new again (even the buttons).

The reason I was contemplating a switch was that I cannot move my cross hair as smoothly as this guy:

https://youtu.be/soSuG9fmIR4?t=457

But that may be due to the high sensitivity with which I play (roughly 13cm/360).

Soldato
Yeah, you'll have to decrease sensitivity I guess, since native DPI on those old mice is quite low.

So, rather than getting a new 'high sense' mouse, learning to work with low sensitivity, which would be a way to improve your aim (mostly getting more consistent tracking and flicks). Means also, having enough desk space (medium / large pads).

I started doing that, took a while getting used to (my sense is about 1/2 yours), but with some training on eye-hand coordination (there are various ways, aim trainers like CS:GO custom maps, ect...), my aim has improved steadily. Still average, but better. I'm still at 800 DPI, but about 24cm/360.

Associate
ive always used the logitech series, MX500 MX518 and now the G400S (All the same shape) and I agree with one of the above posts about the DPI. My mouse is capable of much higher DPI than I use but it doesnt interest me

Soldato
my mx 518 packed in a few months ago the scroll wheel was intermittenly cutting out,

so i got a rival 300 i found the rival a bit big for me recently as i started to play a load of fps games,

last night well the night before i opened up my old logitech mx518 and found a load of fur and dust around the wheel that was interfering with the scroll wheel sensor and also cleaned out 7 years of gunk on all buttons etc.

it is working like new again and im doing better with the mx518 on games like titanfall 2 than i was with the rival 300.

i have noticed im more a claw grip like person now and the rival 300 is apparently a palm grip one, the 300 just seems a bit long and not quite high enough :)

so if your happy with the feel of your mouse do not buy a new one :)

generic drivers? just download the win 10 64 bit logitech gaming software and you can configure the mouse how you want, i seen nothing generic :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I also recently (about 2 weeks ago) opened up my mx500 to clean out the scroll wheel. Loads of gunk and fir, did a thorough clean with q-tips etc. and the mouse is working like new again.

I have bought the steelseries rival 100 though and waiting delivery. It was an impulse buy because I saw it for 17.99 and thought it was cheap enough to try. The price has gone back up to 29.99 now - it may be one of those products where the price goes up and down.

Thank you for the advice above - it confirms that the mx500 is up to the job, so I might keep using it if the rival 100 doesn't appease.

Soldato
I upgraded to a G700s from my Mx518, which I like. But I still use my Mx518 at work and it's going well for how old it is. I have as above, taken it apart and cleaned out all the muck and it makes a huge difference.

Soldato
No need to upgrade tbh. I still have my G5 and it's perfect. One of these fancy mice isn't going to make your more accurate or comfortable, especially if you've been using the same one for 8 years and know it back to front.

If you're not seeing any laggy or jerking or clicking issues etc. then keep your current mouse.

Back
Top Bottom